Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10k steps...

ANSWERED

I just got my Flex this weekend and 10k steps seems like a lot.  Like I'm sure many people who buy these things, I work in an office and have a really sedentary lifestyle. Yesterday (sunday) I took the dog for a walk that was over a mile, and also went shopping, and still just barely hit 5K.  Maybe on a weekend day I could go on two one mile walks, but I just can't see that happening on weekdays.  I don't even have the luxury for one walk on weekdays when it's dark and freezing out by the time I get home from work.

I just don't get how I'm supposed to do this.  My office building is pretty small and I try to get up and walk around when I can, but It's not going to add up to much. There may be occasions when I can maybe walk on my lunch break, but most days I eat at my desk and work through my lunch break.  It's not mandatory, but it's expected.

Is 10k steps really a bottom rung baseline goal to shoot for? I feel like I'm failing before i've even really started.

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

When walking outdoors isn't feasible or other commitments don't allow for extended exercise, an early morning 30-45 minute workout using a Leslie Sansome dvd (there are any # of fitness trainers who have reasonably priced materials) allows me to begin my day with 4-6K steps.

Best Answer

I sometimes "forget" to bring my lunch from home.. Then I walk the two or three blocks to a sandwich shop to get a salad for lunch.  That adds some steps (and I try to walk fast).  I just about reach 5000, by the time I get home.  I can't usually walk after work tho, because I have an adult daughter that I can't leave unattended and she can't walk for long distances.  I'm still working on fitting in extra steps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm learning, too, to break the "10,000 or nothing" mindset.  If 10,000 is feeling too hard, aim for 7500 or whatever feels more reasonable given your life demands at the time.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer

I have a fairly sedentary job and I am able to get at least 4k-5k steps during the workday. I work in healthcare and the only motion I do is walking to the waiting room to call a patient back to the clinic room and then walking them back out to the waiting room at the end of their appointment. All of those little steps count. I've also discovered that fidgeting counts. I alternate between wearing my Fitbit Zip on my bra or on my pants. Fidgeting seems to register more when I wear it on my bra. Twisting, swaying, and jumps all count. The little fidgets never add up to a ton of steps, but every little bit counts. I think fidgeting adds up to 200 steps during the time I'm at work.

It probably depends on what type of work a person does. I work with children, so I am able to add in extra little movements when I interact with them and it doesn't seem like strange behavior. Someone sitting at a desk in a business might not be able to move around like that. In that case, just try getting up extra times throughout the day. Take a few little walks around the office.

I'm also a HUGE fan of the Just Dance games on Wii and XBox. I'm very animated when I play them and I get an average of 500 steps per song, although I have gotten up to 800 on longer songs. I add in jumps whenever possible and sometimes exaggerate the movements on the screen. The JD games are great for snowy or rainy days when running outside isn't possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My starting goal was just to do something. It was a goal I knew I could reach. 40 pounds lighter and later I am still fired up!

Josh Hunt
www.joshhunt.com
Best Answer

I also struggle to get in all my steps when at work. I just bought Wii Fit U and have been doing the jogging game. Two 20 minute jogs (running on the spot) gets me 7,000 steps. It's fun as you can watch TV while you do it and watch your progess on the game pad. The other Miis overtaking me makes me go faster. It also gives you the distance you have travelled over the 20 mins so you can aim to break your previous record. If you have a Wii U, you can download the free preview of Wii Fit u, and if you buy the Fit Meter (£15 approx) you get the full game for nothing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my fitbit a couple of weeks ago.  I find that on workdays I do really well, as I have to move on the job, but on weekends in the winter, when we sit and play games with friends and the like, I'm not getting my steps up there.  (I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can get hiking again - tho we did just get enough snow to get the snowshoes out!)

I reset my goals to reflect a typical day, plus a bit, and then decided that I would look not only at the daily information, but also the weekly overview.  So, if my average for the week was above my daily goal (right now 8000 steps) then I was doing well.  I figure that I will up the goals in a couple more weeks.

Michelle

edited for spelling

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I am short on my steps I will march through commercials on TV in the evening. Its a little bizarre to watch me pacing up and down but some stations play a lot of commercials during TV shows and its indoors ,warm and safe.

mary Kelly
Best Answer

What is a Rebounder?? I work in the evenings and if I have not made my 10K steps by the time I get home I will walk around through the living room, dining room, kitchen then back through the living room until I hit it. I usually have about an hour maybe an hour and a half before midnight so depending on how much more I have to walk I usually hustle. During the day I will walk in place if I am watching t.v. or folding clothes. On my nights off my husband and I will walk the mall or a couple of the stores so we can get our steps in.

Best Answer
A small trampoline. Google it.

Sent with Good (www.good.com)

The information contained in this communication is highly confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom this communication is directed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information is prohibited. Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended receipt and delete the original message without making any copies.

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network of Michigan are nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

For most of us, 10,000 steps is a lot. I set modest goals and try to go up by 500 steps a month.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This article might help those that arez concerned about 10K steps per day......

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/10000steps.html

Best Answer

I wish people would realize this isn't about who can get the most numbers or how many steps you take, it is about getting up and moving, it is about your health and how you plan to get healthy. Your goals are your own, they are what you can achieve, but they are just numbers, Do you feel better at the end of the day, did you do alittle more than yesterday? I don't worry about who does what, the friends I have found are supportive no matter what..do it for you McVeganPants. Do it for you.

Best Answer
I am an office person myself. I strive for 10,000 a day but don't hit it everyday. I get an hr for lunch so I walk for 30 minutes either the 6 floor garage or outside depending on the weather. If I come home and do my aerobics or my treadmil I hit it. If I do my recumbent bike I don't but I do both to get the different muscle groups worked I . I never take the elevator always the stairs. I also walk in place anytime I am just standing. Sometimes at nite during commercials I will get up and walk in place, brushing teeth you name it. All those steps add up at the end of the day😊
Best Answer
I usually log about 6000 steps by the time I get home from work. I live in Alberta Canada and we are expecting snow tonight lol. It's still too cold and icy to walk outside so I run around the house during commercials and up and down the stairs. I log my 5 miles which is over 11k steps by jogging or walking fast in place. You can still get a good workout. Add arm movements and you will burn more calories whether your fitbit shows it or not. I also have an eliptical. If you have 30 minutes you can log 5000 steps with some effort. After all, it's not just about the steps to lose weight, you need to push yourself!
Best Answer

I have a typical office job where I sit almost all day.  I try to make a point to get up for a few minutes every hour on the hour to move around.  I have also started to get up in the mornings to workout before work, then I do a second workout immediately after work.  I've only had my FitBit about a week, but I've noticed it takes a lot more work to get more steps when you have to sit down all day long.  On days I run errands or go shopping, I easily hit 10k.  It's definitely not about the actual number, so much as getting moving.  Our bodies were meant to move, not sit stationary all day, every day!

Best Answer

I find that by just moving - taking that extra trip thru the house to pick up stuff, clean, go thru the grocery store  and whatever, i tend to clear 3 to 5 thousand. Add one long walk of 45 minutes or more or two short ones and I'm done.

Best Answer
0 Votes

10k is the amount most experts say you should get to try to be healthy...at a minimum. So you only get 5k now. that's your baseline. Everyone has to start somewhere. Find little moments to get up an move. Need to talk to a coworker, get up and see her instead of emailing or IMimg. Use the stairs whenever you can. March in place or pace when you are waiting for something. If you are on the phone start walking. When you change activities take the longest route to to get there. Take a walk after lunch and after dinner or before you go to work. Wander while you brush your teeth. Anything that adds a few steps.

good luck!

Best Answer

I work in a small office too.  I always fall short of 10,000 steps, so I jump on my treadmill almost everyday after work or after dinner to make my 10,000.  Only way I can do it.  I could get on it before work, but I never seem to have much extra time in the morning.  

Best Answer