Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10k steps...

ANSWERED

I just got my Flex this weekend and 10k steps seems like a lot.  Like I'm sure many people who buy these things, I work in an office and have a really sedentary lifestyle. Yesterday (sunday) I took the dog for a walk that was over a mile, and also went shopping, and still just barely hit 5K.  Maybe on a weekend day I could go on two one mile walks, but I just can't see that happening on weekdays.  I don't even have the luxury for one walk on weekdays when it's dark and freezing out by the time I get home from work.

I just don't get how I'm supposed to do this.  My office building is pretty small and I try to get up and walk around when I can, but It's not going to add up to much. There may be occasions when I can maybe walk on my lunch break, but most days I eat at my desk and work through my lunch break.  It's not mandatory, but it's expected.

Is 10k steps really a bottom rung baseline goal to shoot for? I feel like I'm failing before i've even really started.

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

I'm 67 and also an office worker.  Our company really encourages us to be active and participate in healthy activities.  We are subsidized to belong to a gym, which helps during winter months, when it's too cold/dark to walk outside, and also in mid-summer, when it's around 100 degrees outside.  We currently have a competition going, and my goal is 20K steps each day.  I can usually make it if I get close to 10K steps before going to the office, park as far away as possible, walk a little bit during breaks and lunch, then come home and finish out the remaining steps.  I'm also curious about the rebounder.

Please tell us how you're coming along with your goal!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was averaging a little ober 8,000 steps and I wanted to get to 10,000, so when I got home from work, I turn on some music or the tv and I just jog in place until I feel the Flex buzz and show all the lights. Tell yourself there are no excuses and get up and jog in place for a while! That's what I did and now I am hitting that 10,000 mark every day.

Best Answer

I did this also ... start small 5000 work up to a biggr goal.. take long way to get to different places.. it really can build up your steps each day.. My goal now is 10000.. some day i reach it some not.. have been very lazy lately, but now back into it again, ready to build up my goal again.

Dont hesitate to add me, happy to help.

Best Answer

i have one of these, i love my rebounder it is really great work out.. I was told that just 5min on rebounder is same as 2hr aerobic exercise.. or something close to that but really great for you..

Also gets the oxygen flowing to all cells in your body makes it function better..

I dont know either why more people dont use these.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your post. Your ideas are practical and will help me set some short term goals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@McVeganPants wrote:

Thanks Doug, that's great advice. What's sad is that 15 years ago I was in the Army and marching 15k a day with a full pack and a rifle, and today finding time and resources to just go for a walk seems really difficult. Oh, how times have changed.  😛

I was in the Army and it was longer than 15 years ago now!  I did pretty good at running until I started a new career at 45 as a software engineer.  Previously, I was in manufacturing and on my feet walking a lot round the plant.  Then I started traveling as part of my job...desk job...eating out....living out of suitcase!  You can just imagine how I blew up.  On travel days, even walking through airports and rental car facilities, 10k is tough.  I get up early and hit the treadmill either at home or in the hotel.  I shoot for 45 minutes on the treadmill and that gives me the boost to make at least 10k by the end of the day.  Some days like this morning when I wake up early unable to sleep, I spent the extra time walking/treadmill and got in the full 10k before getting to work.  the rest of the day is gravy!

No doubt it takes extra effort! But then that's the point, right?

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same problem here, very sedantary desk job, sitting all day, but I use little tricks to add a ton of steps;

-park much farther away, extra steps to the door

-walk around the complex perimeter to get in extra steps during half of lunch break

-water cooler bunch blocks my path to files, so I walk out and around the area to get where I want to go

-picked cubicle farthest from printer and turned down the offer for my own personal printer; my job requires a LOT of printing, so I walk a ton of steps all day, back and forth constantly

-walk the dogs more frequently than usual, especially with the nicer weather

-walk around my big driveway [100 steps each circle X 20 = 2000 steps] when I take the dogs out several times a day (they love the extra outdoor breaks)

Good Luck!

Best Answer

Treadmill.... that will help a lot.  This post helped me as well, I work 10 hours days and a 2hr daily commute... 10k steps felt like a lot. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want to set up a starting low goal of 2,500 steps or 1 Mile per day 

Best Answer
0 Votes

how do I set up my versa 2 Fitbit to start tracking my walks outside accurately? 

Best Answer
0 Votes