Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 yo and very high running HR

I'm a relatively healthy 18 year old and recently got a charge 2. I've done occasional running for the past few years with around 15km being my furthest distance. I hadn't ran in a few months so decided to try out my new fitbit on a hilly 5k route and was astonished to see my HR reaching 204 in places. I did feel tired but not to the extent where I had to stop and walk but I thought I better after seeing it so high (I tried to count it manually and the charge seemed accurate). Is this an issue or is such a heart rate in peak zone maintainable for some? I was in peak peak for around half the run. Thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

If you're young and healthy I wouldn't worry about it too much.  In my 40s, and doing intervals (and being obese to boot) I hit over 200 myself.  I'm 50 now, and still obese (less so) and I've seen 180s from time to time now when I push myself.  Maximum heart rate is just an estimate and there's no reason that you shouldn't push yourself at times.  Having said that, you don't need to push yourself with every workout.  It could also be that you hadn't run in a few months.  If you get at it more frequently you might see that you don't hit your peak as often or for as long.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with Alurker. I don't think you have to worry. I hit over 200 all the time when I was in my early 40's. 

Remember, formulas for max heartrate are an estimate or an average, not neccessarily accurate for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RyanDolphin wrote:

I'm a relatively healthy 18 year old and recently got a charge 2. I've done occasional running for the past few years with around 15km being my furthest distance. I hadn't ran in a few months so decided to try out my new fitbit on a hilly 5k route and was astonished to see my HR reaching 204 in places. I did feel tired but not to the extent where I had to stop and walk but I thought I better after seeing it so high (I tried to count it manually and the charge seemed accurate). Is this an issue or is such a heart rate in peak zone maintainable for some? I was in peak peak for around half the run. Thanks. 

Back when I was 18 (like in 1975) we used to run interval, ladder, and repeat quarter-mile drills on the track team and it wasn't at all unusual for us to finish a leg and have our pulse up over 200 BPM; nothing to worry about at all at your age.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

your HR is going to be higher when you are younger than you think it should be. Its how young ones usually have higher calorie burn and metabolism. There are other factors to consider too. If you were congested or if the air was thinner or really cold- all those things could have a momentary impact on HR. Smart of you to check and you should keep checking to be sure...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes