Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking 4 unique motivation ideas

Im 20 years old and at the point in my life where I am willing to take some risks and be adventurous. 

I've been trying to workout consistently for the past 5 months, but have been unsuccessful in changing my weight. I'm only looking to lose a few pounds, but for some reason I'm struggling to find the motivation.

Yes, the promise of feeling healthier and looking hotter sounds motivational... but when it comes down to it I need something more tangible. Some luring goal or deadline to reach. For example; having a goal of hiking the appalachian trail would get someone in shape, pushing them to be as prepared as they can for when that day comes.

Hiking the appalachian trail is pretty hard core, so I'm wondering if anyone else has an idea of something super exciting and bad **ahem**!

I dont particularly love running, so maybe if you had any ideas that didnt involve just running a 5k straight.

Hope to hear from some of you for some advice, and hope that other's benefit from this discussion thread! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

You dont need to run.

Do you like walking? Find different places to go.

How about some DVD? Boxing, Yoga?

You need to find what you like and then you will stick with it.

I love to walk. I love some of the boxing DVD I have. I enjoy so I stick with it..

I tried running didnt like

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Steppin2achieve wrote:

I've been trying to workout consistently for the past 5 months, but have been unsuccessful in changing my weight. I'm only looking to lose a few pounds, but for some reason I'm struggling to find the motivation.

Exercise is important, but more so for your health and well-being. If your goal is to lose weight, you should start paying attention to what and how much you are eating (and drinking). It’s possible to lose weight without exercising at all. Not that I’m advocating doing it: as stated previously, exercising has valuable health benefits, and it will support your weight loss in allowing you to eat more, making the caloric deficit needed for the weight loss more bearable.

As @WendyB said, you need to find activities you enjoy. If exercising feels like a punishment, it’s not likely to become a part of your life. Training for hiking the Appalachian trail sounds great. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

One of my goals this year is to be able to do the splits by summer & be better at yoga to take pics on the beach

Best Answer
0 Votes

A few years back, I signed up for a short triathalon - something that could be completed in about an hour. Gave myself about 8 months to prepare and got in pretty good shape. 

I found that not wanting to look foolish (or be last) on race day was pretty good motivation for me. 

Best Answer

Hey @Steppin2achieve- is hiking the trail a real option? If it is, you nailed it and have found your motivation. Or you can work towards learning a specific dance routine at your local dance school- burns a ton of calories. Or work towards a belt. Or join a gym that offers boxing and learn the basics to have an actual sparring session. There are tons of things.. but I echo what Dominique wrote- you have to manage your food before you will see any real weight loss. Good luck in whatever you decide to work towards...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes