Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acid Reflux- any success stories?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody has been able to cure his/her acid reflux (or GERD)? And how? 

I am struggling with severe symptoms and have tried a lot over the years but feel really stuck right now. I have tried various medications, undergo a big lifestyle change and I can't notice much of a difference. Any success stories would be much appreciated. 🙂 ❤️ Birdy

Best Answer
97 REPLIES 97

I have had Acid Reflux for years.  Taking a pill before a meal 4-5 times a week or before bed because when i didnt i would wake up at 3 am with Acid Reflux, and about to throw up.

Now that i have been using MyfitnessPal, with Fitbit.  Sticking with a 1450 calorie diet i have not had to take a pill in 2 months.

Best Answer

Switch to a vegan diet.

Acid Reflux is generally the end result of a list of intestinal problems. All of these can be cured in about six weeks with a strict vegan diet. 

Stay way from all drinks but water. Don't eat anything with additives.

It doesn't have to be organic, but that may help. 

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer

I struggle with acid reflux. I usually keep a box of tums freshers around and pop two at the earliest sign- for me usually a tickle or caugh. That said it usually gets better as I lose weight. I'm currently trying to remove all grains and dairy from my diet and that also seems to be helpful. The Paleo Solution makes a good argument about how milk and grains are an iritant and inflammitory. Sorry if thhis is the opposite advice from the above suggestion of going Vegan. I wouldnt try the vegetarian route. I was vegetarian for several years and wound up with diabetes from eating too many carbs and not enough protein/fat. Good luck 😉

Best Answer

Here are a couple of sites you might check to get some ideas of what works for many:

http://www.webmd.com/ahrq/treating-acid-reflux-disease-with-diet-lifestyle-changes

http://gicare.com/diets/gerd/

They agree on the main points and are fairly easy to follow.

Best Answer

I had acid reflux and was put on some medication that I had to take before each meal. I started tracking what I ate and how I felt after a meal, one thing I noticed is that I can not eat anything that is a bread or cookie after dinner. I try to eat my last meal at the same time every night or within a half hour of my regular time then I wait at least 1/2 hour after if I want some type of dessert. I usually eat something small within an hour of waking, a yogurt or an apple. Try making your mid day meal the strongest so that it will carry you to dinner time and try not to eat anything heavy within hours of going to bed. Sometimes other medications can contribute to acid reflux. I can't take all my vitamins at the same time or they give me heartburn. Play detective and you will find out what is causing the acid reflux

Best Answer

@ Little Birdy, 

I've battled severe acid reflux for years. Finally about 3 years ago I started taken Nexium, it is expensive and not very convenient having to take a pill at least one hour before you can eat anything in the morning, but has been quite successful for me.  I've tried the OTC meds, and had fair success by switching them every 4-7 days, if I used one for a week or more I'd still suffer from symptoms.  I still use OTC once in a while, especially Rolaids, when I notice that my acid is up. 

Some non pharmacutical options are raising the head of your bed.  I placed a 2x4 block under the top bed posts and sleep on 2 firm pillows to keep my mouth above my stomach at night. Check out the cook book "Dropping Acid" by eliminating many, most, or all of the acid containing or encouraging foods in your diet you can control or even cure GERD.  I am careful about spicy foods, tomato based sauces and foods, limit or eliminate alcohol consumption, don't eat any citrus or drink citrus juices, etc.  All of these and many more contain high levels of acid, encourage your body's acid production mechanism, or both.  Eat at least 2 hours before you go to bed at night, the more time the better. Minimize stress in your life, this is a big one for me with my job, when work is stressing me out my GERD acts up.

Good luck and I hope that some of these suggestions will work for you and provide you with some relief.  Believe me, I know how miserable GERD and Acid Reflux can make your life and I wish you a full and speedy recovery.

Swim 2.4 miles, Bike 112 miles, Run 26.2 miles and brag for life. If I can do it anyone can!
Best Answer

I used to take Prilosec every day to prevent acid reflux.  I was very overweight and that contributed a lot to my problem.  I lost about 125 pounds and have been maintaining for almost 3 years.  After I lost the first 50 pounds or so, I stopped getting acid reflux.  I haven't had any trouble with it since then.  It's a long-term solution that takes a while to happen, but it certainly worked for me.

Best Answer

My acid reflux began seven years ago. I was very overweight and lived an extremely sedentary lifestyle. I was placed on Prilosec for over five years. It worked well, but I had to transition to Zantac because of a magnesium deficiency. (An unfortunate side effect of the drug when using Prilosec long-term.) 

Now, during this time, I had lost over 40 lbs. through diet alone.  No exercise. But my heartburn was unchanged. It was kinda disappointing.

After an awful surgery (unrelated), I gained half the weight back.  That's when I started using a fitbit and started exercising for the first time.

After two months of 10-15,000 steps per day, I was almost completely off heartburn medications. (I only need them now if I eat a big meal or something super spicy.)  This is after seven years of chronic, daily heartburn.

Exercise isn't the cure for everyone, but it did wonders for me.

Best Answer
My doc helped me wean off Nexium by mixing in Zantac. No one warned me about magnesium or vitamin b 12 issues with Nexium. Found out about that later. That is an emotional button for me...but I am glad I am off. Have been for a few years. I do the behavioral stuff re not eating before sleep, take an occasional Zantac, and drink Tazo ginger spice tea. It is not perfect, but way better...
Marianne
Best Answer

For me, my GERD is directly related to stress.  I have several other health issues but honestly Nexium (RX) is the only pill that's helped me.  It doesn't matter what I eat, everything is the same as the next thing.  Trying to keep meals smaller and making sure I don't have a tummy full of all liquids helps too - just makes it harder to push it up.  I also use store brand Mylanta.  You basically buy it and take a shot every time you feel it bothering you.  Before and after meals.  It's only going to treat the symptom but it's definitely helped in a pinch and I always keep some around at home just in case.  Fortunately or unfortunately....I only feel mine when it's already caused raw spots in my stomach and esphagus.  I'm currently looking for a new job because the one I have now has become too stressful and it actually bad for my health.  Negative environments don't help anything. 

Best of luck!

Best Answer

I drank raw milk.... yes that's right, straight from the cow... however, it has natural enzymes that naturally eat the food that sits in your intestinal tract that isn't being digested naturally or quick enough before it becomes a gaseous substance.  The natural enzymes are organisms in your body that you already also have that eat away at undigested food.  Once I started on raw milk, the problem went away.  I drink it and love it but in this country, most health food stores or markets have to label it as "for pet consumption only" to prevent breaking the law as it is illegal to sell in the U.S.  This is more than likely because of the milk industry padding the politicians pockets.  People have been drinking it for longer than government has been around and have been fine.  It really does work though.  And the milk tastes amazing compared to store bought pasteurized and homogenized garbage.  The milk is boiled before packaged which means DEAD stuff is floating in your milk.... YUCK!

Best Answer

@LittleBirdy wrote:

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody has been able to cure his/her acid reflux (or GERD)? And how? 

I am struggling with severe symptoms and have tried a lot over the years but feel really stuck right now. I have tried various medications, undergo a big lifestyle change and I can't notice much of a difference. Any success stories would be much appreciated. 🙂 ❤️ Birdy

LB,

When I was over 300 pounds, if I laid on my side to much onto my belly or on my belly, I would wake up in bed with acid reflux.  There are OTC medicines you can take to mitigate the impact somewhat, but nothing succeeds quite as well as losing weight and getting down to a size where you stomach isn't squished by all that fat.  I'm under 170 now and haven't had a reflux incident in over 7 months.

Lew

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I suffered with acid reflux for years and let it go. This can lead to Barretts Esophagus. I'm not trying to scare you but maybe have it checked by a doctor. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My girlfriend improved her severe acid reflux symptoms by avoiding caffeine and taking two shots of fresh wheat grass an hour before bed. We were amazed with the results.

Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

This will sound like the craziest thing ever.  I tried everything and didn't want to be on meds for life.  I read online about Braggs organic apple cider vinger.  I started drinking a 12oz glass of water with 2TPS of vinger.  First twice a day and then once a day.  The gerd was gone in 2 days.  I did the treatment for one week and then only did it once a day.  I do it maybe once a week now and feel great.  Good luck

Best Answer

Last year I ended up in hospital with a chest infection and was given steroids that gave me an ulcer that got infected. I had really bad acid issues for months after the other symptoms went away. Once I started eating better, and exercising, I had less symptoms. Now I find that if I eat fatty foods, or alcohol, I get some reflux. Otherwise, eating 1-2 yogurts a day, as well as other healthy foods has helped a lot. I am off all stomach meds! Cut out the more acid based food (tomatoes, etc.), add more milk and yogurt to your diet and hopefully things will settle down. If a diet change doesn't help, get your doctor to investigate and make sure you don't have an ulcer, or other issue that is causing your problems. You may have an underlying problem that needs addressing. Good luck!

Best Answer

I had acid reflux for years and read a post on Facebook that talked about the benefits of honey and cinnamon. The cinnamon must be pure Ceylon cinnamon and the honey must be pure unprocessed honey. I put this on toast each morning for breakfast.Been doing it for one year and have not had any indigestion or acid reflux.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could help me. I'm 31yo female with 2 children (youngest 10 months). I'm fit and healthy, non smoker don't drink etc 

Roughly 2 weeks ago I started getting a bit of an achy abdomen. Toilet habits were fine and no sickness. This subsided and for a day I had a mild burning sensation again this went. Fast forward a couple of days I started to get mild indigestion- something  I only suffered with in pregnancy. I ate small meals which seemed to do the trick. I had a couple of symptom free days then all of a sudden the last 2 days I've  been hit with acid reflux. No heart burn just the reflux. It's not really bad but it is slightly burning my mouth and nose. 

Visited the doc today and he didn't reply shed a lot of light and told me to take zantac 75 and gaviscon. 

Basically I'm am a big worried and can't stop googling making myself panic stricken. 

I'm worried I'll have this life long problem and be forever taking pills. 

Has anyone else experienced this and recovered? Absolutely no idea where it's come from! Xx

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tarp,

In my opinion, your doctor is useless for treating anything. He could have said the cause of acid reflux was too much acid in your stomach from eating the wrong foods. He could have said to take some Tums after eating to buffer the acid. At least you wouldn't have had to pay for a prescription. But doctors don't make as much money this way.

He could have said that too much acid in your stomach is an effect of what you eat. Then he could have explained how to eat so you don't get too much acid in your stomach. But, doctors can't give dietary advice.

He could have explained to you that your abdomen pains and the acid reflux may be the first indications you get of an unhealthy diet. There will likely be more during your life. Ninety to ninety-five percent of all non-contagious diseases are caused by a person's diet. There is a way of eating that will eliminate most of these.

All I can do to help is point you in a direction. That's this playlist of 12 videos. This way of eating should resolve your problem within a week. At most a month. It will also prevent, arrest or cure most degenerative diseases you may not even know you have yet.

Best Answer