Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acid Reflux- any success stories?

Hi everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody has been able to cure his/her acid reflux (or GERD)? And how? 

I am struggling with severe symptoms and have tried a lot over the years but feel really stuck right now. I have tried various medications, undergo a big lifestyle change and I can't notice much of a difference. Any success stories would be much appreciated. 🙂 ❤️ Birdy

Best Answer
97 REPLIES 97

Some years ago I was diagnosed with mild reflux. But ever since I started exercising and trying to eat a fairly healthier diet (I've cut down on my junk food consumption and only drink soda when I'm sick), my symptoms have gone away. After two trips to the emergency room for chest pains and some expensive tests, I'm able to tell when that sensation is just reflux.

Stress is one contributor to reflux, so try to do something that reduces the stress in your life. Chewing gum may help. I can recommend sugar-free, aspartame-free brands.

I was vegan when I was diagnosed and still am, so I can't guarantee a plant-based diet will help, but it's worth a shot. A lot of people have digestive issues because of lactose intolerance that hasn't been diagnosed as such.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine all but disappeared when I cut out grains-have you tried an elimination diet to see if getting rid of a food helps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You may have to experiment to find what works for you. For non-diet/lifestyle- fix it now - I found that Nexium worked best for me and generally lasted 24 hours. Pepcid also worked but did not last as long. When I was on a mainly plant based diet I took a Nexium a day. Recently, after reading Good calories/Bad calories and Why we get fat, I switched a couple of weeks to what is basically an Atkins40 (40 grams of carbs) and the acid refluex has gone away. However, based on other comments to your question, for some folks being vegan has worked. Off hand I would first try eliminating grains (including breads, rice, cereals) and starches like potatoes. See if that helps. If not, you can try the Whole30 approach (or just start with it - Google it for more information).

Best Answer
0 Votes

You need to start with GERD Medication to cure the severe problem you are suffering from Refluxmd.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not sure what is causing my acid reflux.  It started with a sore throat, and a little difficulty swallowing - mainly water if I sipped to fast, I'd cough it out.  then a couple weeks later a little nausea and then a little heartburn.  My doc put me on Prilosec which was fine for a few days but then I stopped it and switched to Zantac.   I still am getting daily bloating, burping and heartburn, though it seems to be slowly improving.  My sore throat is gone however, swallowing is all better as well.  

How long does GERD typically last? I've never had chronic heartburn or reflux in my life til this started 6 weeks ago. I get an endoscopy in a couple days.  I've put that off, but now I'm just desperate for answers so I can try to get back to health.  

Best Answer

Ketogenic diet completely cured the reflux / heartburn I had suffered for 20 years, since early pregnancy in 1995. It had been so bad that I was on twice daily omeprazole to try and control it, but I still had symptoms. 

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Alicat2104 wrote:

Ketogenic diet completely cured the reflux / heartburn I had suffered for 20 years, since early pregnancy in 1995. It had been so bad that I was on twice daily omeprazole to try and control it, but I still had symptoms. 

Hey its very bad what doc said about your problem..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also suffering for acid reflux i avoid alcohol and taking two shots of fresh wheat grass an hour before bed.It helps me a lot...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took PPI's for years such as Nexium.  Now I have osteoporosis.  The medicine kept me from absorbing calcium.  Maybe more testing is needed for you.  For some people, the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus doesn't close right and there's a surgery for that.  For me, I don't think the usual advice works.  Instead of cutting spicy foods, it helped me to cut sugars and add fiber.

Best Answer

This is all correct and is a very good remedy-especially not eating anything within 3 hours of bedtime.Keep the head higher than the stomach with the blocks under the headboard and you will be fine but it may take a bit to get used to sleeping in a little higher position.

Best Answer

What are TPS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi PaleoBonnie,

PPI's are for people with ulcers and other similar gastro issues. They should not be prescribed for acid reflux or GERD. They should be taken longer than 8 weeks max. While they bring relief and mask the symptoms they actually make your acid reflux worse. In over 90% of cases, acid reflux is caused by low stomach acid. PPI's lower your stomach even more.

It is the stomach acid that causes the sphincter to close. If you do not have enough stomach acid it will not close fully. Also, your food will not digest quickly enough causing gas and bloating which forces stomach contents back through the sphincter. Please do not get surgery, the sphincter is not the problem. Get off the PPI's (with your doctor's help - do not stop cold turkey or you will experience the worst acid reflux ever). Then look at naturally increasing stomach acid using either apple cider vinegar or betaine HCl. 

Spicy foods and acidic foods are also not the cause of acid reflux. Avoid foods that cause bloating definitely cut out sugar.  

Hope this helps 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Reflux can be really uncomfortable. A few things that might help:

-avoid known triggers - you may need to keep a log. Usual suspects: tomato, spices, coffee, peppers, alcohol

-gluten is often associated and some people ditch all grains and dairy. The half life of gluten is 6 weeks by the way so you may not see a change immediately

-avoid eating 2-3 hours before bed

-helpful supplements: digestive enzymes (before, with or after a meal - do not use if you are on a PPI like Nexium), L-glutamine (either before/with/after meal), DGL (before a meal or when you feel the symptoms), Probiotics, melatonin before bed

Best Answer
0 Votes

very interesting!. Obat herbal asam lambung 

Best Answer
0 Votes

How long were you on meds for the ulcer? And what caused your respiratory infection? I am on meds for esophagitis because I couldn’t breath and swallow food... I wondered if the issue might be due to a respiratory infection at one point. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m in the same boat. I’ve been suffering for about six years and no medicines work. My Gerd is pretty much 24/7. Right now I’m in the middle of a flareup and I’m doing everything possible to make it better as far as eating goes but I’m feeling pretty miserable. I haven’t been to the doctor since it began – and was school did that time but I feel like now it is time to go back. I never realized how debilitating this can be. I also really miss eating the foods I love and drinking coffee

Best Answer

Your post was interesting to me. I feel like my Gerd is a direct result of stress. I feel like stress affects it more than food for the most part. I also feel like I have a low level of stress all the time to the point where I don’t even realize I have it if that makes sense at all. I think I need to learn to breathe

Best Answer
Hello -

I had the same issues and though I am on medication, I tried several diet
including the low acid diet. I just came across the fast track digestive
diet and I have seen tremendous results. I know what you're going through
and perhaps you may want to purchase the book and see if it would help you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you… I will look into this

Best Answer

You must keep the chest higher than the stomach keeping you head alone higher won’t work.

Best Answer
0 Votes