Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing too much? (cycling)

Hello to the community, please feel free to delete if not appropriate 🙂

I have recently bought a FitBit (Inspire HR) and resumed cycling after a 10-year absence. I am 54 years old, now 94Kg weight (101Kg at the start of this year) and with no health issues. I regularly track my rides using the Inspire HR, particularly to monitor heart rate. I have slowly built up my rides from a few miles to around 15-20 miles at the moment, with mixed routes; some killer hills and some fast downhills.

One ride showed my heart rate exceeding the maximum on a couple of occasions, and through the tracker's log I was able to determine where this occurred (as if I didn't know!) and have slowed down appropriately. My tracker still shows my heart rate being in the 'peak' zone for too long, according to what I've read online, so my question to more experienced users out there is do you think I am working too hard?

I have added a screenshot below of my last ride, showing the zones. I haven't set any custom zones at all, just left the tracker on it's default setting. I must point out that at no time have I ever felt unwell during or after a ride, and I thoroughly enjoy the rides. I never feel like I am 'pushing' myself too hard, although I do exert more energy on the climbs as is to be expected. My average ride speed is currently about 11mph and I ride a mountain bike, not a road bike.

89067619_819803218524491_4187514940900245504_n.png

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome and I'll try to answer any questions 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Looks good, you're working hard. Some people here stay in the peak zone for very long periods with no real issues. With no symptoms, I don't see why you can't continue.

You can also look at the link before, in case you want to customize your heart rate zones to modify the max HR.

https://blog.fitbit.com/max-heart-rate/

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply, Dave! I was worried I would be bombarded with replies of "Slow Down, Slow Down!" because I feel well within my 'comfort zone' of exertion, if that makes sense? I'll probably leave the heart rate zones as they are for now because it's early days yet and I don't want to give myself the false impression that I should be working even harder.

Incidentally, my resting HR is 58, so I can't be as unfit as I think I am! 😄

Best Answer

@JohnRoberts666 keep moving. I run and there are days where my entire run is in peak- I am talking 5 miles of peak. this is usually the day after a little (hmm maybe a lot) drinking and eating salty snacks because who in the world can drink without snacking. On normal days I am in peak for most of the run and in cardio for the very beginning and towards the end. If you feel poorly during the activity, slow down immediately and seek some medical advice. But if at the end you feel sweaty and accomplished- keep going. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thank you Elena - I was trying to find a suitably descriptive adjective for how I feel after a ride and you've hit the nail on the head with 'accomplished!'

I have been using feedback from my body to gauge my pace as opposed to constantly looking at the FitBit, which is really there just to check everything is going OK, as it seems to be! Now I just have to learn to cope with the vagaries of the English weather!

Best Answer
0 Votes

JohnRoberts666:  John:  I'm 73 years old and have run 6 miles every day for over 25 years( without a fitbit) and after giving up running and taken up an elliptical, stationary bike and rowing machine for the past 20 years I frequently go over my theoretical maximum heart rate for extended periods without any ill effects.  Fitbit's  peak is only theoretical.  As your fitness level increases you will your extend your peak without ill effects.  I use the talk test, exert your self as long as you can comfortably talk thereby not surpassing your aerobic capacity and building up an oxygen debt( accumulating lactic acid build up in your muscles.  I say go for it without worry!

Best Answer

90391944_211552466578252_5546505926942392320_n.png

I've just returned from a 26 mile ride, the furthest I've been for a very long time! I note that my fitbit report now tells me that 'my heart rate zones are now personalised...' etc, which I assume is a result of it 'learning' my activity levels and heart rates over time. Everything still appears to be just fine - I did find the ride a bit of a stretch towards the end but I didn't push myself harder in response, just cogged down a gear or two and took things at my normal exertion level.

John - I tried your talk test and 99.9% of the time I could hold a conversation without problems. I did get a few funny looks though, as I am a sole rider 😆

Best Answer
0 Votes