Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum heart rate

ANSWERED

I'm female and 67. My maximum heart rate is 153. My resting heart rate is 55. During vigorous exercise my heart rate can get as high as 177 to 180. The average during this time is 135. I never feel winded. My heart doesn't feel like its beating too fast I also am not overweight. Is this heart rate dangerous? Should I start backing off doing vigorous cardio aerobics? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Under normal conditions, you would not be close to your max heart rate without being winded.

I see 3 possibilities, or a combination of them:

1)  Your max heart rate is higher than 153.  That is just an approximation calculated as 220 minus age, that actually varies among individuals, though probably not nearly enough to account for your situation.

2)  Your fitbit is not giving accurate heart rate readings when it is that high.  Does it stay in that range for a while, or is it brief spike?  If you are used to taking your own pulse, try checking it against the fitbit readings occasionally, especially when it gets that high.  It happens for some people that optical heart rate readings, such as Fitbit uses, give good readings when at rest but sometimes have trouble getting good readings at higher intensity.

3) You have some heart rhythm abnormality and should see your doctor.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Under normal conditions, you would not be close to your max heart rate without being winded.

I see 3 possibilities, or a combination of them:

1)  Your max heart rate is higher than 153.  That is just an approximation calculated as 220 minus age, that actually varies among individuals, though probably not nearly enough to account for your situation.

2)  Your fitbit is not giving accurate heart rate readings when it is that high.  Does it stay in that range for a while, or is it brief spike?  If you are used to taking your own pulse, try checking it against the fitbit readings occasionally, especially when it gets that high.  It happens for some people that optical heart rate readings, such as Fitbit uses, give good readings when at rest but sometimes have trouble getting good readings at higher intensity.

3) You have some heart rhythm abnormality and should see your doctor.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Thank you for answering my post. I think it may be a Fitbit malfunction. On my whole day heart rate tab the highest my heart rate got that day was 151. It was on the exercise tab that it showed it spiking over 170 just once. I know it's not a heart rhythm problem since I just had a wellness doctor visit, so I guess I'm just an in shape senior citizen.

Best Answer

I am also female, in my early 60's and have experienced strange heart rates my entire life.  20 years ago I purchased a heart monitor to wear while I was training for a marathon and almost freaked out when I saw that my average heart rate was 165, and it often went into the 180's. Like you, though, I never felt winded, and could carry on a conversation with my running partners. I also experienced heart palpitations, mostly when sitting still. I have seen 2 cardiologists who put me through a series of stress tests and the conclusion was...."we don't know". The theory was that my "max" heart rate was nothing close to what is considered "normal". If I could run 10 miles with a heart rate of 170 and carry on a normal conversation, my body was not in stress.  Interestingly, sometimes my heart rate is higher just walking than it is running.  I am not saying it's normal for everyone so just ignore it ....it obviously concerns you so I would suggest a visit to the doctor. 

Best Answer

I agree with that. you are an in shape citizen. Your HR during activity doesn't sound all that high or abnormal and the fact that you feel good while it is elevated is a sign that you are heart healthy. Of course, if you are ever worried a trip to the doc is always a good idea. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Glad you asked that question! 

I am also late 60's, similar heart rates, and really new to Fitbit.  I've had the same question myself on seeing extended peak rate during aerobics class!  But the community consensus seems to be it's probably OK. 

So happy I can again give aerobics "my all" without worrying about running high numbers.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I just joined the forum and saw your message. I’m 72 and I do have an arrhythmia which does show up sometimes on my fitbit. If your doctor didn’t do a Holter exam you wouldn’t know if you have an arrythmia so it might be worth your time to investigate. Most arrhythmias are harmless but some are dangerous. Best to be on the safe side.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your maximum heart rate might not match statistical averages.  The definition of maximum heart rate is your physiological limit.  It shall not improve much by exercising.  But as you exercise it’s more difficult to reach it.  Mine is 189 at 55 years old.  It was very easy to reach 185 within 30 seconds on flat thread at 5 mph.   But after four years, i need to run 9 mph for 90 seconds at 9% slope.  To reach your maximum physiological limit you must push yourself.

Newbe, should not do this outside in a park, not on mill because you might fall and injured youself.  You can also book a test with professionals with more accurate electrodes instead of blood stream visual detection.

about ionic accuracy;  the light technology used by the watch is not extreemely accurate at high heart rate.  You can improve accuracy by moving the watch upward on the middle of your arm where more blood flows.  Good straping will also improve reading.

i have noticed operation of the watch display gets eratic while running.  I looks like monitoring activities (gps, steps, heart rate) sucks up all computing power.  Also noticed displayed values are averages over 1 or more minutes.  

Best Answer
0 Votes