Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you sick of cheaters in the stepping community?

ANSWERED

I am. It's depressing.

https://www.fitbit.com/group/22XDSF

I made that group for anyone to join. I frequently walk almost all day long and never post numbers like the leaders I see in every large stepping group. If someone starts posting 100k steps daily, we'll ask them to explain themselves and if the explanation sounds somewhat fantastical, out they go. On the same note, if the group gets folks that can't make the minimum 10k (average over a week), they'll be kicked out too, however they'll be allowed back.

Best Answer
39 REPLIES 39

I recently ran across this post of someone claiming TWO 80 plus mile days, just a day apart, I think his step claim was around 140K.  I started thinking about that, and remembered that the one stat that is always missing from these claims is the TIME that it took.  CAN it be done?  I guess, but it sure doesn't seem likely to me.  But it sure seems odd to me to brag about the total number of steps, and leave out your pace.

That said, if they're cheating, they're only cheating themselves.  I'm not in competition with them, and am happy with the way my program's coming along.

Best Answer

I asked this one time in another forum and got no response. Maybe I'll have better luck here.

I would love to hear from some of these Fitbitters who claim to average 100k or more steps a day. Please share your training routine and let us know how you do it. Just saying that you move around a lot does not add up.

There are plenty of ultramarathoners and others that can do 100k steps in one day. I've accomplished it once myself. But I'd be curious how you can do it day-after-day-after-day. Please enlighten us.

Best Answer

Here’s the thing. Up until a few months ago every step shown on my Fitbit app was an actual step and I was logging decent amounts, like an average of 18,00O steps daily. But I have arthritis in my knees and feet and tendinitis in my left heel (we’re talking actual swelling here). My rhr was going up because I could not walk as much, due to severe pain. I started air punching while seated, then researched different exercises seated people could do. To my surprise my resting heart rate started to go down. Once I was able to do longer walks, it went down even further. This month I’m averting 63, the previous month it was 66. The reason? Chair exercises during which I can get into cardio & peak way faster than by walking. I also noticed that I get into cardio more easily during walks now, because I’ve conditioned my heart to expect the activity (this is my guess). I don’t feel like arm movements are cheating. Attaching your device to animals or vehicles? Yes, that truly is. 
Anyway, that’s my input. Those of us who have reason to resort to arm movements aren’t gaming the system, we’re just finding different ways to improve ourselves. Oh and since I started the combo of walking & chair exercises, I broke my plateau and lost 5lbs. I’m now 5lbs away from my normal weight goal. I love my Fitbits! 

Best Answer

@BlucolaI agree with you. Everyone needs to do what works for them. Nothing wrong with chair exercises. I have done seated Boxing in the past when I had my hip replaced. I could not do much else at the time. But I needed to move somehow.

So no I do not feel it is cheating either.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I happen to know a cheater.  He regularly logs 100K a day, often a million+ over a week. He had to go to great lengths to figure out exactly HOW to do it.  There is a big group of cheaters, who compete amongst themselves, in private groups and workweek challenges, seeing who can rack up the highest number of steps. They all cheat, they all know they are all cheating, but it seems the competition is to see who can cheat most effectively.  

Best Answer

Yeah, it's kind of pathetic.  They tend to get mad when you call them on it, too.

Best Answer

lol...yes they do!! I don't get it myself...if you're putting that much effort into cheating, why not put half the effort into actually stepping for real?

Best Answer

You guys are really preoccupied with this.

".if you're putting that much effort into cheating, why not put half the effort into actually stepping for real?"

Perhaps you might consider letting it go, and follow your own advice. Pay attention to your own goals. 😶

Best Answer

Nah, I just have fun with them on my mobile feed.  I still remember FitandLit's claims about "my family comes first", and her 100K plus days, week after week after week.

Her beating her step goal by 1000% was pretty funny, too.

Best Answer

hhhah that really made me giggle!!!   At least they are active, I think?  Huh?  I bought a fitbit for a friend & challenged them. They quit the challenge when I got ahead of them!!  Who cares???  I'm shookeith by the original post!!  Who cares!! As long as people are having fun, not hurting anyone and using their Fitbit who's it hurting?  I personally wouldn't want to be a member of any group that would kick me out for reasons above.  WOW!!! 

Best Answer

I ran the London Marathon and I am a very active person. In my job I do a lot of walking, I go to gym, road run and run on the treadmill. On my off days I cook a lot and walk around my kitchen for hours. I log my exercise and there is evidence of all my activity. There are cheats on FITBIT and I just don’t understand why they bother. 

Best Answer

chat, make friends and most importantly..... lost weight!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've seen many people explain how they reach large numbers. The is a 43 year old woman who is a "Fitbit friend" and has been averaging over 80K a day these past several days.

I don't get why posters are so upset. This woman posts pictures of herself. She is rock hard, and looks like she is made of solid muscle.

This is a person who works hard at being fit. The people who say it "can't be done" often don't look like they even try (if they even post their photos).

Best Answer

I've seen one person who averages 125,000 steps per day and works a 8 hour job. Bottom line ....an ultra marathon everyday since this is about 55 miles. A runner would take 11 hours and a walker, 15 hours. Must not sleep on weekend and have a heelluva workout on the 10 hours per day during weekdays and must not sleep on weekends. Is their fitbit broken or have they discovered the ultimate cheat ...tie to a car rim and take a 60 mph drive for a few hours....I'd love to see their hourly step totals!!!!

Best Answer

I walk for a living...40000 is my best...all day walking 30 min lunch couple of breaks...I ache at the end...always active...100000 something isn't calibrated right or ur cheating 

Best Answer

My wife isn't in the group mentioned in the OP, but her Fitbit is registering greatly exaggerated numbers without her trying to. (We think that it might be her tics...)

Argali/Inspire 3 ⛮ ₍⭖⁾
"Run in such a way as to attain the prize,
a crown that will last forever!"
Best Answer
0 Votes
wmccharles: The best way to rid this site of cheaters in the stepping
community is for everyone to ignore them. When anyone questions the
authenticity of their count it just encourages them. These people are
looking for validation of their so called accomplishment because they have
a low self image. If no one mentions their step counts perhaps they will
just go away.
Best Answer

I know this is old but I'm going to throw in my two cents as a very short woman my marathon logs in around 45.000 steps. If I had walked it then I'm going to hit about 60,000. There are  legitimately some of us nutcases that log in 15km minimum per day or about 35,000 steps. Yes I am absolutely referencing myself as nutty because I will go out and walk 14 hours straight  I have walked 24 hours straight on 5 separate occasions for the relay for life ...unfortunately not with my fitbit bc I didn't own one yet...but could strongly estimate that'd cover 175,000-200,000+ steps for me.

On challenges occasionally you may need to factor in time zones. I'm in a weekly challenge atm and I slept through my Sunday which was day one and M for everyone else. I figured I'd catch up and in 2 of my days have logged 74ish miles (absolutely 100% legitimately ask my poor feet lol...now I know I have issues...but someone is supposed beating me by 23000 steps atm and so putting her at estimate 27 miles per day now I could be thinking 🤔 okay so she's as crazy as I am...but looking at her posts showing 1/2 marathons and a 19km run (this week two separate days)it absolutely makes no sense not to mention it doesn't matter What time I add steps she is right on top adding back any I caught up. I walked tonight from 4:30 pm to 2 am ish and through 5 am my time she just added steps until I lost what I was caught up.

So point of this long as post if someone sees it...should I be skeptical here that this person is for real ? BC I don't mind some competition cool bring it on ...but not if your going to break my feet cheating!

Best Answer

Well, if Fitbit counts a tick, it counts!!!  Tick away!!  That's more legitimate than using your dog's tail haha!  

Best Answer
0 Votes

haahh that SOUNDS CRAZY!!!  hahha!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes