Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August Wanderlust — Step Challenge and Photo Scavenger Hunt

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The end of summer looms and there are only a few more weeks for a getaway or two before we move into fall.  You still have to get your steps though, so make your plans with some travel in mind and post your monthly goals here.

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to encourage you to set and hit your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The theme this month is a nod to wanderlust and the road.  My friend @NellyG suggests bridges and overpasses along the way, and water when you get there … or was it the other way around?  Well, post your goals below and post your pics throughout the month.

IMG_0711.jpg

Hiking trail Bridge near my house from 9 years ago.  The bridge, and the brown dog behind Jayhawk (Hawthorn) are no longer in existence.

IMG_0137.jpeg

Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Bridge

IMG_7749.jpg

Charles Bridge - Prague.

IMG_1941.jpg

This way to water …

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
102 REPLIES 102

Didn't know this was going on, is it too late to join?  Never bothered to look at this part of the forums, but was poking around around after groups were deleted and found it.

Park City Utah is a ski town, but our skiing days are over so we like to go in the summer.  As you can beautiful blue skies.  Hubby likes to golf, and there's an abundance of very nice public affordable golf courses in the state parks near by.  I love to walk.  Can walk out the doors of these condo's and hit a rails to trail area and walk and walk with beautiful views of the mountains.  The hard part is you start out going down hill, and have to check how far you really want to go as the whole way back to the condo, to water, and a bathroom..........all up hill.

My Step Goal is 11K daily, am 12/12

My active minutes goal is 45 min daily, am 12/12

My water intake goal is 40 oz daily, am 10/12

My hourly activity goal is 10 hours a day, have only hit 10/10  three times this month, but the average isn't too bad at 8.41 of 10

Scanvenger Photo 1

Do you like to walk with someone or solo?

Sandy from Ohio

Zip, One, Flex, Ulta, Ulta HR

Park City Utah, Main Street Bridge, takes you to the town lift.Park City Utah, Main Street Bridge, takes you to the town lift.

Best Answer

August EOD 8/12

16k Steps a Day:  7/31

Yoga:  -/10

Free Weights:  2/15

Forest/Woods Dirt Trail Walk:   -/2

Best Answer

Hi @sandycrochet.  Nice bridge pic.  

Park City would be a great place to summer.  So scenic and probably not too hot. And sounds like a good place to work on your floor count whether you want to or not!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Right you about temperatures, beautiful and sunny during the day and cools off at nice.  Even when it's hot during the day, it's very dry.  AND too bad my Ulta doesn't keep track of flights, cause....all the up and down would have given me good numbers!

Best Answer

August Wanderlust 14

5,000 steps on 10 days a month  -  4/7.

10,000 steps on 10 days a month  -  5/15.

15,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  5/8.

Eat 1 piece of fruit per day  -  13/30.

10 wall pushups on 20 days a month  -  11/20.

7 hours sleep on 20 days a month  -  8/20.

Scavenger hunt photos.

Been so slack lately with exercise.  Had some reasonably chilly mornings lately (for Australia anyway), of about 4 or 5 degrees Celcius (although not as bad here in Adelaide as it is in Canberra where it can get to minus 5 Celcius overnight in winter).  No early morning walks yet, and no gym-ing either.  Planning on getting back into it next week.  Should hopefully get plenty of steps in at the end of the month, when the Royal Adelaide Show comes to town (I think it's something vaguely like an American county fair).

Best Answer

Never too late to join in, @sandycrochet .  Welcome to the challenge.  We have a great group in here.

As for me, I like to walk by myself, especially first thing in the morning before the rest of the household has woken up.  With a 5 year old, I don't get a huge amount of opportunities to take time to do things for myself, so when I get a chance to take a long walk, I like to do it solo.

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

I need to drop out for the month. I'm having many problems. I just cant do this. Hopefully I will be back next month. Best of luck to you all!

Oh my, sorry to hear of your problems @WendyB ! You will be missed this month! Take care and come back when things calm down. 

Best Answer

August Goals - Day 13
8,000 steps: 3/15 days

10,000+ steps: 1/10 days
Train w/weights: 1/10 days
Reverse Crunches: 1/10 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 1/10 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 2/3 pics

Sorry I have fallen behind this month in my training and reporting. We were at a family reunion last weekend and no wifi, then I began the flight(s) home Monday morning. Hope to get back in the swing of things today. 

7F377819-E59F-4CF5-8C7D-8D89089AFEA0.jpeg

FD4CE446-20AB-4727-80FE-0EB508460D03.jpeg

Best Answer

14 August 

10,000 steps a day for 25 days                                   14/25

12 days over 12,000                                                      12/12

6 days over 15,000 steps                                             8/6          

2 days over 20,000 steps                                               5/2

Swim 2x per week                                                           4/8              

Dance prac 6 hours a week                                           12/24

4 bike rides or interval walks per month                      1/4   (modified)            

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     3/3

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

August EOD 8/13

16k Steps a Day:  7/31

I slacked yesterday.  I think the lack of sleep is catching up to me.  Smiley Mad

Best Answer

August Goals - Day 14
8,000 steps: 4/15 days

10,000+ steps: 1/10 days
Train w/weights: 2/10 days
Reverse Crunches: 2/10 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 2/10 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 3/3 pics

Best Answer

Wanderlust August - Day 14

15K steps/day  13/30

1 pushup/day

14/30

15 weight-lifting days

8/15

post 3 scavenger pics

Sleep 6+ hours 16 days or more during the month

9/16

1 pull-up/day

14/30

Physical Therapy exercises as assigned

14/30

1 50 mile bike ride

Pics of a couple of bridges near the train station in Baltimore.  I've always liked the arch bridge.  Good thing for me that they have a barrier keeping people from walking the arch itself 🙂

IMG_3333.jpgIMG_3331.jpgIMG_3335.jpgNo, you can't walk over the arch.No, you can't walk over the arch.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

August Wanderlust 15

5,000 steps on 10 days a month  -  4/7.

10,000 steps on 10 days a month  -  6/15.

15,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  5/8.

Eat 1 piece of fruit per day  -  14/30.

10 wall pushups on 20 days a month  -  12/20.

7 hours sleep on 20 days a month  -  9/20.

Scavenger hunt photos.

Best Answer

Catlover I too like to walk alone, sometimes it's just a good way to have peace and quiet or think about things, but am not an early morning walker.  Can see why you are with the little ones about.  I like to sip my coffee, have computer time, then when this 68 year old body feels a bit more limber ...then go for a walk.  

Baltoscott....your bridge with all the colors is very interesting.  From your name, do I assume you live in Balmer (Baltimore?)  What's the significance of the arch looking thing on the side of the bridge?

Have forgotten which bridge this is, but it was on the west coast as my daughter and I were driving the coast highway from Portland to San Francisco.  Perhaps someone recognizes it? itHave forgotten which bridge this is, but it was on the west coast as my daughter and I were driving the coast highway from Portland to San Francisco. Perhaps someone recognizes it? it

Best Answer

August EOD 8/14

16k Steps a Day:  8/31

I've fallen out of the yoga/weights habit.  Between rain and just the stress of the job, I'm pretty much vegging out when I get home.

@Baltoscott I love that train passage bridge!  I got to start looking for bridges around for the photo hunt.  Or at least ones I can snap pictures of.  I'm usually driving on them Smiley LOL

Best Answer
0 Votes

August Goals - Day 15
8,000 steps: 4/15 days

10,000+ steps: 2/10 days
Train w/weights: 3/10 days
Reverse Crunches: 3/10 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 3/10 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 2/3 pics

Best Answer

August EOD 8/15

16k Steps a Day:  9/31

Best Answer

16 August

10,000 steps a day for 25 days                                   16/25

12 days over 12,000                                                      13/12

6 days over 15,000 steps                                             8/6          

2 days over 20,000 steps                                               5/2

Swim 2x per week                                                           5/8              

Dance prac 6 hours a week                                           15/24

4 bike rides or interval walks per month                      1/4   (modified)            

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     3/3

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@sandycrochet  Park city. I lived there and been to Park city many times. I loved it. Brought back memories Smiley Very Happy

As to your other question. I mainly walk alone, Need to get going dont need others to hold me back but thats me Smiley Very Happy

I use to walk with a group and it was like wait so and so isn't here Blah Blah . I'm leaving  but it meSmiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Wendy where in Park City did you live?  We've gone out there in July now 9 years in a row.  First time or two for just a week, then 10 days, then 2 wks.  If hubby ever retires maybe I can bump it to 3 wks.  I love walking that rails to trails and go by City Park.  Am amazed what a busy busy park that is.  The amount of activity with kids at day camp/ bikers, walkers, runners, baseball, volleyball, tennis, the skateboard rink etc.  We've often been there during the big little league tournament and it's fun with the kids do their parade etc.  How long have you been gone from Park City?

And every year I buy something at Silly Sunday.  Where's home?  And how often do you get back there?

Best Answer
0 Votes