Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becoming a runner?

I got to be honest with myself, I am and always have been terrible with running. I struggle with the pain and difficulty breathing to where I find it is no fun (I get a bad case of exercise induced asthma). However the more and more I work on my weight loss goals and compete in weekly challenges for steps I feel like it would benefit me to learn and progress as a runner.

I have a seditary job in a condo where we all work in what would be considered the living room. So I would love to be able to get those quick bursts of steps in a run before and/or after work and not waste an hour barely walking 6k. Plus I am sure my dog would love it. 

Pretty much I am looking for tips, personal stories on how maybe someone else progressed into becoming a runner. 

Best Answer
49 REPLIES 49

@shipo wrote:
I coach a lot of beginning runners and from my perspective, going from C25K to a full Marathon in three years is not only not slow, it is just about right.  Why do I say that?  More often than not, folks who push themselves to run that first magical marathon quicker than three years end up hurt.

So, congratulations on gearing up for your first "full"; remember to update us on how you do.

Well, thanks for that! It's nice to hear such words of wisdom from a coach! And will do! I'm just hoping to make it to the finish before they close down the course 😜

Best Answer
You should set a goal, start off jogging. Try to jog to a light post without stopping, once you got to that post don't stop, try another. Don't go out and try to run a mile, it will discourage you. The next day you go out, find those two post or tree and jog to them without stopping. Just keep jogging two by two untill you complete a mile. That shoul help.
Best Answer

@Ms09 wrote:
You should set a goal, start off jogging. Try to jog to a light post without stopping, once you got to that post don't stop, try another. Don't go out and try to run a mile, it will discourage you. The next day you go out, find those two post or tree and jog to them without stopping. Just keep jogging two by two untill you complete a mile. That shoul help.

To whom are you responding?

Best Answer

As a +60 year old who only tried running this past year - it can be done!  When I started I struggled to move faster and for only very short distances. But step by step - I worked up to 5 km!  So exciting.  All the best on your journey!  

Best Answer

I'd recommend starting with a slower speed, say 5 mph and start with a mile. Slowly when you are confident, go 2 miles at a time. Then 30 minutes in total (2.5 miles at 5 mph). Once you are ready, start increasing speed, so go to 6 mph. Repeat the steps until you get to a desired length and speed. If done on a regular basis, you should be able to condition your body to hopefully not have the exercise induced asthma. Hopefully that works. It's what I did, but I don't have exercise induced asthma. Now running is very fun for me.

Yours Truly,Geoffrey
Best Answer
0 Votes

klan7044  I never liked running, but working as a Physical Therapist I saw clients everyday that suffered from strokes and heart attacks and the one thing they all had in common was lack of exercise.  I started out slowly, I could hardly run 4 blocks without stopping.  I lived near a street that made a long oval between 2 streets. It was exactly 1 mile long.  My goal was to make it around that street without stopping.  I took me about one month, but I finally made it.  My next goal was to make it around 1 and 1/2 times without stopping, which came very easy.  It wasn't long before I could make it around 3 times.  When that got boring I charted routes around my neighborhood of longer and longer distances.  Looking back, once I could run one mile without stopping everything became easier.  At a 10K race we had a speaker talk to us about his running and he answered our questions.  His name was Frank Shorter, the only American to every win a Gold Medal in the Olympics.  The one thing he said that I will never forget was " Running is 80% mental and 20% physical".  Once I convinced myself I could run 1 mile, it opened up a whole new world for me.  I've run in numerous 10K's, several half marathons and 2 marathons.  My suggestion is to ask yourself why you want to run, then start out slowly both running pace and distance and progress at your own pace, set realistic goals and remember running is 80% mental, 20% physical.  P.S I read every book written by Dr. George Sheehan, my running Guru.  Look him up on the internet and read some of his quotes, they are inspiring!

Best Answer

klan7044  Before someone jumps on my case, I forgot about Joan Benoit, the only American female to win Olympic Gold in the marathon, sorry but I suffer from CRS.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Very good recommendation for the new runner.😎
Best Answer
0 Votes
If your into that sort of thing at all, check out the Zombie 5k app. It works just like the C25K app, but it includes a story about a base camp during a zombie outbreak. You are one of the characters. It's a lot of fun, and super motivational. It also makes you want to run more to find out what happens in the story. There is another app and new stories once you finish the 5k. I can't recommend it enough!
Best Answer

Nice to see you're really interested in running @klan7044.  Man Very Happy

I also enjoy running here are some tips that were really usuful for me to optimize performance and diminish stomach problems while running and drinking:

1. Avoid milk products.
2. Go easy on high-fiber foods.
3. Be careful about aspirin and NSAIDS.(they will increase intestinal permeability and could lead to more gastrointestinal distress.)
5. Be well-hydrated when you begin exercise.
6. Practice new hydration strategies.

Every runner is different, and the only way to find your best routine is to experiment a little. Obviously, you shouldn’t do this before a major competition. Try different strategies before your easy-day workouts. When one of them seems to work well, try it again before a harder, longer run. Your own experience is your best teacher.

Hope this helps! It worked for me. Cat LOL

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I have to be honest here when I started my journey of running 5 years ago, I hate it. At that time, my goal is to lose weight. Initially I found so much pain in doing so. Sometimes, I used to think "Why I am torturing myself" . All I had in my mind was "I have to run I have to run". I was not enjoying.  I got a best advice from my fellow runner. She said "instead of thinking I have to.. Think I want to."  Also asked me whether I want to continue in this path. That changed my perception. I started to enjoy my run and looking forward for those days. I started training with Runningroom. Met new friends. Run even in winter. No matter what the weather would be, I will be ready for that day. Usually, I sign up for few races (mostly 5k or 10k). This motivates me to get prepare for that. I am a slow runner. It took almost 5 + years to go for 1/2 marathon. completed two this year. But still I am not ready for full. Most of the time, I have this slogan "I can do it. I can do it."  Nothing is impossible. 

Best Answer

You're absolutely right @Bhuvana, the first step is always the hardest one but then, you find yourself enjoying and looking forward to your running time. 

p.s. Congratulations for your 2 1/2 marathons completed! Smiley Wink Having a positive attitude will always help us achieve the impossible! 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
You're right
Running to me is 80% mental outlook on running 10 % Nutrition and the best part other percentage is the run itself.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@45marathonsaaa wrote:
You're right
Running to me is 80% mental outlook on running 10 % Nutrition and the best part other percentage is the run itself.

I guess I must be the exception to the rule.  Why?  I've always had a problem with the whole eighty to ninety percent "mental" assumption with regard to running.  While I agree getting your brain in gear to train and to extend one's abilities can be a challenge, I wouldn't ascribe anything more than say thirty to forty percent to the mental aspect.

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my opinion, running is a mental game to a greater percentage. That's one of the reason, I always run with some one. In the end, it's a kind of competition who has greater will power to finish strong.

For me to get ready for any day of running, I have to tune in my brain at least 12 - 15 hrs before. That's give more mental strength.

Best Answer

@Bhuvana wrote:

In my opinion, running is a mental game to a greater percentage. That's one of the reason, I always run with some one. In the end, it's a kind of competition who has greater will power to finish strong.

For me to get ready for any day of running, I have to tune in my brain at least 12 - 15 hrs before. That's give more mental strength.

But once you're out there and have taken that first step, then it is physical; you can have all of the mental fortitude in the world, but you ain't gonna run a fast marathon without the physical infrastructure brought about by physical training.

Best Answer
0 Votes

shipo  I always found the hardest part of getting up every morning and hitting the streets was putting on my shoes.  Once I had run the first mile it was like I was on auto pilot.  About racing, I never worried about finishing any distance because I had always done that distance before the race.  I never stopped to walk during a race or during a training run, because once you stop to walk once it gets easier the second and third time.  The mental aspect of running starts to interfere when you start to question your ability to finish a race distance or a training run distance.  It's like lifting weights, if you want to do 10 reps, but as you approach 6-7 reps and you start to question your ability to do 10 reps you will most likely quit before you finish the 10th rep.  Even now I have some days that I don't feel like doing my morning exercise, but once I get my shoes on and climb on the machine, all my self doubt goes away.  That statement about running being 80% mental and 20% physical was told to me by Frank Shorter an Olympic Gold Medal winner in the Marathon and has proved to be accurate in my case.

Best Answer

Bhuvana  The 80% mental, 20% physical assumes that you have properly trained for the event or training run you are about to do.  Someone who's longest run has been 6 miles and enters a marathon is doomed to fail even if he has the greatest mental fortitude.

Best Answer

@Corney wrote:

The mental aspect of running starts to interfere when you start to question your ability to finish a race distance or a training run distance.  It's like lifting weights, if you want to do 10 reps, but as you approach 6-7 reps and you start to question your ability to do 10 reps you will most likely quit before you finish the 10th rep.

Exactly... When you start questioning the ability, that's when my negative attitude kicks in. It's kind of "Why I am torturing myself like this".  Even though you have done that distance before, each day of running is different. Still needs that mental strength.
Best Answer

Bhuvana  In my old neighborhood I always had to finish running up a long hill.  I never looked at the top, I kept my eyes focused about 10 feet in front of me, I was afraid if I looked at the top. I might question my ability to get there even though I had done the same hill a hundred times.  I still believe that the mental aspect of running far out weighs the physical aspect.

Best Answer
0 Votes