Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Body Fat Calculation?

ANSWERED

I don't have calipers available, but I've been using a tape measure to keep track of my measurements since day 1. How accurate is the Navy tape measure method versus the fat caliper methods? I don't need an exact number but would like it to be at least close to what the actual percentage is. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

The more data you collect, the better. Monitor weight weekly, measurements biweekly or monthly along with bodyfat testing (if you choose to use it)

As far as accuracy goes, they all have about a 3-5 percent margin of error in almost all of the testing methods outside of bodypod...and that even has a margin of error of 1 - 2.7!

I had a physiology teacher explain to us that we will never know our true bodyfat until we are dead, can have all of the tissue separated and water sucked out of us.

BUT!

Whatever method you choose, use the same exact method under the same exact conditions every single time you test it.

1. Weight- Use the same scale, same time of day, same amount of clothing

2. Measurements- Have the same person take measurements for you, wearing no baggy clothing, and use the same exact sites to measure every single time

3. Body fat- Under the same conditions, you should be able to see a change when using the same method to evaluate progress. For instance, if bodyfat measures at 27% this month and next month it measures at 26.5%, then you have seen a reduction regardless of whether you are truly that percentage. Use the same test and input the data required and you should see a trend over time.

Basically with all testing, just be consistent in your method and HOW to test and you will be more accurate.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Potential accuracy of caliper method from study. In the box.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html

Potential accuracy of the measurement methods.

If you have average body symmetry (like if J Lo and you know you have big booty - formula's will be off), a mix of them can yield about 5% accuracy, or 3% both directions or 6% you might say.

http://hubpages.com/health/Five-Methods-to-Calculate-your-Body-Fat-Percentage-by-Using-a-Tape-Measur...

With both methods, you can present a body that is different than last time in water weight and throw it off.

So always do these and weight the morning after rest day, eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

That will minimize known expected water weight fluctuations.

Quick and easy average calc.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

If one number is far off from the others, either you have a body part that you may know is not in symmetry with others (like maybe big calves compared to thighs/hips), ect - or it'll auto-correct as you lose fat.

Usually the number that moves faster after weeks of results is the least accurate one, unless weight dropped really does show big % drops.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

No idea how accurate we are able to know.. as long the measurements give a trend in the good direction. Smiley Wink

workout

Best Answer
0 Votes

Love the cat memes!

Thanks

Best Answer

The more data you collect, the better. Monitor weight weekly, measurements biweekly or monthly along with bodyfat testing (if you choose to use it)

As far as accuracy goes, they all have about a 3-5 percent margin of error in almost all of the testing methods outside of bodypod...and that even has a margin of error of 1 - 2.7!

I had a physiology teacher explain to us that we will never know our true bodyfat until we are dead, can have all of the tissue separated and water sucked out of us.

BUT!

Whatever method you choose, use the same exact method under the same exact conditions every single time you test it.

1. Weight- Use the same scale, same time of day, same amount of clothing

2. Measurements- Have the same person take measurements for you, wearing no baggy clothing, and use the same exact sites to measure every single time

3. Body fat- Under the same conditions, you should be able to see a change when using the same method to evaluate progress. For instance, if bodyfat measures at 27% this month and next month it measures at 26.5%, then you have seen a reduction regardless of whether you are truly that percentage. Use the same test and input the data required and you should see a trend over time.

Basically with all testing, just be consistent in your method and HOW to test and you will be more accurate.

Best Answer

@StrongNOTSorry

Awesome, thank you very much! For the most part all of the ones I've used with the exception of one have been similiar with a 2-5% difference. I'm having difficulty determining where to go next. My BMI is still considered borderline obese range, but my body fat percentage calcuations range from 25% to 28% based on all the calculators I use. I'm stuck since the body fat is average, I feel amazing but that BMI still says I'm obese.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Generally, the BMI is very unreliable. BMI does not take into account how much muscle and fat a person has.  I wouldn't get too caught up in BMI, but definitely pursue the level of leanness that you want (what makes you feel and look good-to you) and can sustain for the long haul.  Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer

Potential accuracy of caliper method from study. In the box.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/BodyComp.html

Potential accuracy of the measurement methods.

If you have average body symmetry (like if J Lo and you know you have big booty - formula's will be off), a mix of them can yield about 5% accuracy, or 3% both directions or 6% you might say.

http://hubpages.com/health/Five-Methods-to-Calculate-your-Body-Fat-Percentage-by-Using-a-Tape-Measur...

With both methods, you can present a body that is different than last time in water weight and throw it off.

So always do these and weight the morning after rest day, eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

That will minimize known expected water weight fluctuations.

Quick and easy average calc.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

If one number is far off from the others, either you have a body part that you may know is not in symmetry with others (like maybe big calves compared to thighs/hips), ect - or it'll auto-correct as you lose fat.

Usually the number that moves faster after weeks of results is the least accurate one, unless weight dropped really does show big % drops.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer