Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boxing

ANSWERED

Has anyone use the Fitbit (I have the Flex) while boxing or hitting the heavy bag? Does it work under rough conditions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@benno Hey there! There shouldn't be any issue if you use it while boxing but there could be a step discrepancy if you don't log the activity, check this article to know how to log activities. 

Keep in mind that any activity that require more than just steps should be logged (like yoga or boxing) in order to improve the accuracy of the caloric contribution of this activity. Any other activity that's step based shouldn't be log because your tracker was made for that. 

@Marcy Funny Smiley LOL 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
41 REPLIES 41

I don't know.  But you're welcome to try that on my boyfriend. I'm pretty mad at him right now.  

Best Answer

@benno Hey there! There shouldn't be any issue if you use it while boxing but there could be a step discrepancy if you don't log the activity, check this article to know how to log activities. 

Keep in mind that any activity that require more than just steps should be logged (like yoga or boxing) in order to improve the accuracy of the caloric contribution of this activity. Any other activity that's step based shouldn't be log because your tracker was made for that. 

@Marcy Funny Smiley LOL 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi fitbit people,
I have noticed that when I am shadow boxing, my flex records my punches as steps! Is there a way to prevent this?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Stepjon Hey there! I highly recommend you to manually log "boxing" as an activity in your Dashboard because this will improve the accuracy of this activity's contribution to your caloric burn. Just remember to not wear your tracker because that's why you're logging the activity. 

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for that Silvia I will do that.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Any form of boxing i do, I have to log manually as the gloves keeping stopping the tracker due to the location of the buttons.

Best Answer
Hi Silvia - how does the manual logging improve the accuracy of the calorie burn If you don't have it on to track your heart rate? Or do you mean wear it but don't track it and then manually enter the activity afterwards? I presume when it syncs it registers the time and takes account your heart rate???
I wear mine for boxing but like pasty, it sometimes switches off cause of the gloves.
Thanks
Best Answer

@Andrea_Malone28 It's nice to have you here! It's different with trackers that have heart rate feature. You would probably only want to log an activity manually if you forgot to wear your tracker or forgot to track the exercise. These trackers take heart rate into account when calculating calories burned, so even if an activity doesn't count steps, you still get accurate calorie count information, learn more about it here. 

So, if you have a Fitbit One, Flex, Charge or Force you should log the activity because in order to improve the calories burned but it's different if you have a Charge HR. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can the Fitbit be worn while doing thaiboxing even if I log in the exercise manually? So I can receive the correct calories? Can you help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner A warm welcome to the Community! I think you could damage your tracker if you wear it while doing thaiboxing. The best advice would be to just log the activity so you can get the correct amount of calories burned.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Best Answer
So is this correct, log the activity? But how will i know how many calories
i have burnt? Does it give an estimation?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner A warm welcome to the Community! Yes, when you log the activity it will give you an estimated amount of calories burned; based in your personal information. 

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Surge and use it when boxing all the time by loosening it and pushing it up my arm.  The main thing I would say is that make sure you are not compromising your wrist support by adjusting your handwraps to accomadate it on your wrist.  If you get a wrist injury you will have a bad time...

Some members have mentioned that it will record punches as steps but to be honest I don't even bother looking at step counts when boxing as its all about the heart rate and calories burned.  If you get an inaccurate 'Step Count' reading from having a big training session who cares?  You will have burned so many more calories by training hard rather than clocking up steps!

Thats just my opinion though....POW!

Best Answer

I have the fitbit blaze. Is this OK to use whilst bxing training?? There is a lot of HIIT training at the class such as sprinting, jogging, bungee jumps, crunches etc??? Will the impact part of the class such as bag work or combinations casue a problem??

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jamesy62 A warm welcome to the Community! Check Emerson's post to get more information about it. It might not get damaged but the buttons may be press.

Hope this helps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

best reply ever

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use my fitbit blaze for Heavy Bag workout all the time as for tracking I set it to kick boxing.... I wish there was away to setup custom workouts.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @Seanwww! That's a great idea and would be really useful for people that do other exercises besides the ones that we have available. I found this idea Custom Workouts you may want to vote for it, because those suggestions are viewed by our engineers and developers. 

Thanks for voting. 

Best Answer