Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resting heart rate increases the day after exercise

Does anyone else find that the day after a hard workout, their resting heartrate jumps by 3 or so beats?

Could it be overtraining?

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

If it seems weird, go to the doctor!

Mine doesn't fluctuate after a rough day but it does fluctuate by 2-3 beats seemingly at random. If yours is rock steady enough to see a 3 beat variance, I'd think that odd too. I've heard that the blood content of skin can skew the reading, so honestly I wouldn't worry.

Best Answer

@timbo726 wrote:

Does anyone else find that the day after a hard workout, their resting heartrate jumps by 3 or so beats?

A jump in RHR like you described is normal. It may mean that you need to take a day off or exercise at a lower intensity for a day or two to avoid overtraining, but it doesn't necessarily mean you already are. 

My normal RHR at waking is between 44 and 46, and I take a day off or do lighter workouts when I see 50 or above when I wake up.

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

Thanks Paul, good advice!

It's good to hear you experience the fluctuations too, that makes me think it's probably completely normal.

Best Answer

Thanks tractorlegs, appreciate the help.

I think one of my problems is I'm training for my first marathon and perhaps not getting enough rest. I'll take your advice and see how it goes! Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@timbo726 wrote:

I think one of my problems is I'm training for my first marathon and perhaps not getting enough rest. I'll take your advice and see how it goes! Thanks again.

You're welcome! Keep us updated on your progress and be sure to mention us from the winner's podium!

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

@tractorlegs wrote:

@timbo726 wrote:

You're welcome! Keep us updated on your progress and be sure to mention us from the winner's podium!

He may not get to race... If he needs to take it easy until his heart rate falls below 50, he may be asleep! *JK

Best Answer

@timbo726 wrote:

I can have up to a 5 point swing at any given time.  I can usually track it back to sleep or either the amount (>2 hours) or timing (within 2 hours of bedtime) of hard workouts/exercise that create a more elevated RHR

Best Answer

Yes! After doing barely any exercise for 3 months due to illness, I played football last night, and my resting heart rate (normally 55bpm) has increased to 89bpm. I see people on this thread saying +/-5bpm is normal...but  34bpm?

This is the next day, 12 hours afterwards.

Assume I've overdone it, and it'll get easier next week.... but is this a sign of an underlying condition? When should it return to normal? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

it can take up to 24 hours for your heart rate to return to normal after a workout. I myself was worried after doing a 30 min swimming session after barely excersising for years so did a little research but it's just your body recovering 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I make Sunday a full 100% rest day and I definitely notice that on Monday Tues Wednesday my RHR is definitely higher after I run. It’s hard being a female though because RHR fluctuations are normal due to a woman’s cycle. I noticed a big change when I quit smoking, it went from 70-78 down to 58-68. I am now using an e cigarette but working on quitting nicotine altogether. I will keep an eye on mine and report back in a few weeks (when it’s usually at it’s lowest.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

came to the forums to ask thsi wuestion but seems like it has been asked so 'm just gonna sk it here. Similar problem, my RHR is usually 56-58, this week i may have over trained a bit and feel some soreness, this morning my RHR is showing 62, i think its my heart telling me to rest whihc i will do for the weeknd

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed that mine does. For example, just this week I worked out hard 3 days in a row ( day 1 back, day 2 chest, day 3 legs) and the first night my bpm was 2 beats higher and then each consecutive night my resting heart rate was 1 bpm above the previous.  From what I understand this is normal; however you need to give yourself a long enough break between sessions like this for it to go back to normal. When it returns to normal this is a sign that you have fully recovered. 

I'm no doctor, this is just my understanding so take it with a grain of salt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. After I go walking for an hour. When resting after exercise it goes high 80’s and low 90s. Is this normal?

Best Answer
0 Votes

same here. i went to gym and logged in as bootcamp exercise .. 

when i was done i ended bootcamp ON fitbit.

heartrate was still very high 1 hour 2 hours and 4 hours later.

i took off the fitbit and placed it on a table.

HEARTRATE WAS STILL READING HIGH WHILE SITTING A TABLE FOR HOURS.

Best Answer
0 Votes