Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boxing

ANSWERED

Has anyone use the Fitbit (I have the Flex) while boxing or hitting the heavy bag? Does it work under rough conditions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
41 REPLIES 41

Hi new to the Fitbit forum. Just bought an Alta HR specifically to track calories burned during my 30 minute cardio kickboxing class. I am expecting the Fitbit to track the calories burned automatically. What is the purpose of a buying and wearing Fitbit if you manually log in an exercise and it gives you an estimate?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for being part of the Community @hking44For trackers that support heart rate monitoring, you would probably only want to log an activity manually if you forgot to wear your tracker or forgot to track the exercise. These trackers take heart rate into account when calculating calories burned, so even if an activity doesn't count steps, you still get calorie count information. How do I manually log an activity or exercise?

In this case, it's a little bit different because your tracker may get damaged while you're boxing. So, it's not about the accuracy of the data that it can give you but the caring of the tracker itself. 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Thank you. But the Alta HR does not detail the calories burned for that specific exercise session it just adds burned calories to the daily total. I bought it to track and show how many calories during that specific workout. I spoke with Fitbit Customer support and they recommended the Charge 2 which gives more detail and can get more granular. I just returned it to Amazon and ordered a Charge 2.

Best Answer

My experience is that not only were steps added when boxing, (actually just gently hitting a punchbag quite fast) but the impacts were interpreted as heartbeats so the heart rate went up really high. I wasn't even breathing heavy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My question is "how" to use Fitbit while boxing for cardio. The gloves cover the device on my wrist and my fingers are in the gloves and cannot activate the scree.

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JageFighterPut it in your pocket? Wont be accurate

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JageFighter: you didn’t mention what model of tracker you have. When you say you cannot activate the screen, do you mean you would want to see your stats (e.g. heart rate, if supported) "live", or would you like to record an activity (again, if supported, i.e. with Charge 2 or Blaze, but not Alta HR or Flex 2)? I have no experience with boxing, but I can see how unpractical it would be to press a button with boxing gloves on; I also assume the tracker would be entirely covered by the glove, which is in fact a good thing (will avoid it to be exposed to hits). If you want to start an activity, you can do it prior to putting on your gloves. OK, you may "lose" a small amount of time before the actual boxing practice start, but if we are talking about less than a minute for a 30-45 minute session, it’s no big deal. You just have to remember to stop the activity once the session is over. OTOH, even if you don’t record an activity, your Fitbit will still account for it in terms of calories, active minutes, steps etc. And if the activity is long enough without too many pauses, it should autodetect it (not necessarily as boxing, but as something intense), again if you have a Fitbit that is capable of this. I wouldn’t put the tracker in your pocket: if your Fitbit is HR-enabled, it would obviously miss the HR component, and it would also underestimate a large part of your activity (upper body / arm movements). 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do NOT get the Blaze as it turns off all the time if you're wearing gloves for boxing and kickboxing. I still use my Surge and it's amazing. Best bet is to wear a heartrate band and watch for boxing because none of the fitbit watches (minus the Surge, which I love) can withstand the workout. It's so annoying. 

Best Answer
I just wear the Blaze on my ankles
Best Answer
0 Votes
You shouldn’t have to that’s not where your heart rate is

Jen
Best Answer
0 Votes

OMG I thought it was just me! My Alta doesn't work and I love it, but it can't cut the mustard while doing kickboxing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! Hoping to be clarified again 🙂 I use an AltaHR. Can I wear it under boxing gloves near the pulse while doing Muay Thai? I would like to have my heart rate recorded during the workout. Thank you! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear my ionic under my gloves during Muay Thai and the wraps are forever hitting my buttons and stopping the work out tracker. It's seriously frustrating. I'm debating getting a second, more basic model that I can try under my gloves.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just dumped my Fitbit altogether.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried it upside down last night and it seemed to work without issue.
Hopefully that will continue.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you!!!! This was so helpful, I have been struggling to get an accurate read in boxing because of my wraps. I will try this tomorrow 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

What do you mean "a heartrate band and watch for boxing?"

How does a watch solve the problem here? Wouldn't it be on your wrist just like a FitBit?

@JenniferK wrote:

Do NOT get the Blaze as it turns off all the time if you're wearing gloves for boxing and kickboxing. I still use my Surge and it's amazing. Best bet is to wear a heartrate band and watch for boxing because none of the fitbit watches (minus the Surge, which I love) can withstand the workout. It's so annoying. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

1. Does it provide accurate calorie burn readings?

2. I'm assuming you don't engage in kickboxing?

@JageFighter wrote:
I just wear the Blaze on my ankles

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the Alta HR, which I guess would be your most "basic" model. It's the smallest one that I'm aware of, and it does not work under wraps/gloves, at least not for me.  I don't know if the buttons are getting pressed or not; that's not my issue.  My issue is it just doesn't allow me to really snugly wrap my wrists.

Maybe it could be worn around my bicep like a Pra Jiad? I would need to find a way to secure it, though, since even with an XL band, there's no way it's fitting around my bicep.*

*not bragging! Just saying.

@DuckyDragonTame wrote:

I wear my ionic under my gloves during Muay Thai and the wraps are forever hitting my buttons and stopping the work out tracker. It's seriously frustrating. I'm debating getting a second, more basic model that I can try under my gloves.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes and it never stays tracking.  I think the punching at some point stops the tracking.   I’ve tried a lot of times and it never gets through the whole sessions and it’s not like I can keep taking my gloves off to check it.  

Best Answer
0 Votes