Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaking a Bone

ANSWERED

This past Wednesday, I fell down some stairs (they think I missed the last step) at work. This resulted in a compound fracture of the right leg and two small fractures in my left foot. So, I was wondering, if you've ever broken a leg/ankle after you started using Fitbit, what did you do about your Fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I never have and knock on wood I hope I never will, but I would change my goals to what I can do at that time. If it is not step based, maybe a calorie burn goal. And use it to check how many calories I burn, so I would not gain too much weight as my activity level changes for that period.

I forgot to add that I wish you a quick recovery.

Karolien | The Netherlands

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I never have and knock on wood I hope I never will, but I would change my goals to what I can do at that time. If it is not step based, maybe a calorie burn goal. And use it to check how many calories I burn, so I would not gain too much weight as my activity level changes for that period.

I forgot to add that I wish you a quick recovery.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

I broke my hand that required 3 pins.  Needless to say, there was quite a bit of pain in moving around for 6 weeks (with another 6 weeks of PT).  I stopped wearing the fitbit for the first 6 weeks and focused on recovery (mending bones burns a butt ton of calories and my weight did not change during that time).  Once I was in PT and had some activity, I started wearing the fitbit again.

Best Answer

Hope you're healing! Broken bones are a B****.

I did a whopper to my right let that required 2 surgeries and 5 months of PT. I didn't wear my Fitbit during  the first 4 months since my mind was on not screaming in pain. lol After that I did put it back on and focused on small goals such as even 1,000 steps (and of course walking with my foot facing forward which I still struggle with). I found the fitbit did motivate me even though all I wanted to do was lay down. 

Remember to do the exercises/strength training your therapist will give you on a regular basis. They may hurt but are obviously good for you and much needed! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ouch! I'm so sorry. The last time I broke a bone was a breaking my wrist couple of years ago. That was before I started my fitness journey, so I don't have much advice for you. So you might want to lower your goals, as someone else suggested. And focus on healing.

Best Answer
0 Votes