Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned during exercise ONLY

Hi guys! I’m new to Fitbit and am trying to figure out: how can I calculate the calories I’ve burned during exercise ONLY? I don’t want to see that total calories I’ve burned as I know that number factors in my BMR. I’m only interested to see the exact number of calories I’m burning from my gym session each day. I wish there was a way to “start” and “stop” calorie counting (like a stopwatch) so you could see exactly how many calories you’ve burned in a specific timeframe. Does that make sense? What should I do? Am I going to need to take that total number of calories each day and SUBTRACT my BMR? Seems like a pain!

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Welcome to the forums!

You can do a start stop session. But it depends on the device you have

The Alta line does not have this option.

You can find the  Manual
If you click on HELP at the top of the forum. Then click on what device you have at the very top you will see product manual. It can help with a lot of your questions you might have.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can see the point in seeing stats (e.g. calories burned) during a given timeframe. Many Fitbit trackers have a start/stop button that let you do this. But I don’t see in what way you would be wiser by having your BMR excluded from the calories count.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner and a warm welcome.  Long time Fitbit users might remember Activity Calories from the original Fitbit Premium Service.  You had a cumulative Activity Calories for each day.  The Premium Trainer gave a weekly plan (goal) to increase Activity Calories.  Sadly, this was discontinued with the Original Premium service.

I do not know if this is or will be part of the new Premium package.  The way to get this to be easily available is to post a Feature Suggestion.  Suggestions with many votes have a greater chance of being implemented.

Until then, you are left with the option of subtracting your BMR calories from your total calories to get your exercise calories.  A pain, I agree.  The Activity Trainer was a useful motivation for me.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer