Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Walk......

I have a stress fracture in my foot and I didn't listen to the doctor.  The boot caused me problems with my hip and back - from a fall years ago.  So now I am unable to walk for 6 weeks to 3 months.  The doctor said I could use a rowing machine, stationary bike, or a Pilates machine.  Does anyone know anything about these machines, I understand the concepts and I went to a specialty exercise place in town and got no help.  Apparently you have to be in shape to purchase an exercise machine. I don't want to wait 2 months to start getting in shape.  I was also referred by the nurse to a Total Gym.  Going to their website, no I don't watch too much TV.  I am 40 lbs overweight, and 60 years old.  Thank you for your help!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

I couldn't run for 9 weeks last summer because I pulled an Achille's tendon while jumping rope. I went to Planet Fitness and did a bunch of strength training. When I came back, I hadn't lost any speed.

If you don't have a Planet Fitness near you, checkout LA Fitness.

The exercise machines are too expensive. I wouldn't buy one. 

Best Answer

I'm with @GershonSurge.  This is a perfect time for you to join a gym.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had both hips replaced a year and a half ago and used a stationery exercise bike to get into shape plus all the recovery exercises they gave me.

I had already bought a Schwinn airdyne bike years before that  had collected dust in my bedroom and i used that to get into shape .

It is a stationery bike with a front wheel that has paddles  that give air resistance as you bike. The faster you go the more resistance you get.

It also has an upper body exercise you use by pulling handlebars at the same time as you ride.

It has a calorie counter and a distance traveled and time display.

You can plunk it down in your bedroom or wherever and watch tv while you ride.

It is very sturdy and not terribly big.

The fitness store delivered it and even set it up for me.

I am 62 and couldn't do more than 5 minutes to start but now i go an hr .

I love the thing.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner,

I'll be 64 on June 5th. This past year, I lost 30 lbs. I'm 6'00 tall and weight 164 lbs. I haven't been to the doctor since I retired from the Air Force in 1993. 

I suggest using this forced break as an opportunity. A person can't exercise their way to good health without a good diet. I recommend a whole food plant based diet. You can learn about it from these fourteen videos. This type of diet will arrest, reverse, or prevent most diseases. You may disagree with this way of eating, but if you watch the videos, you will at least have the information to develop an informed opinion.

If you can do an "old man run" or faster when your foot isn't hurting, I suggest reading "Run-Walk-Run by Jeff Galloway. Jeff is about 70 years old and has been a running coach since about 1975. I also recommend reading all of Joe Henderson's books. He is about 74 now and used to be the editor for Runner's World back in the 60's and early 70's. Maybe later.

Meanwhile, household chores are one of the best forms of exercise. Last year when I couldn't run, I painted the house and did many other jobs that needed doing. Regular indoor housework is also good. Especially working above your head and scrubbing floors on your hands and knees. They don't burn a lot of calories, but it may be enough to tip the scales.

I have a disk missing in my back, but it has been about 25 years since I've had any pain. There are three exercises that work well. The "Side Lean." You can do this with a bag of groceries with a handle weighing about 10 pounds. Hold the bag in one hand and gently lean sideways to the side that is holding the bag. Do about 10 reps to each side. This strengthens the oblique muscles on the sides, and more importantly teaches your brain how to use them. The second is slow four-count toe touchers. Don't bounce to try to reach your toes. About 10 reps a day is enough. This works on the spinal erectors which are on the sides of your spine. Finally, Goblet Squats. Cup a 10 pound dumbbell or other weight in your hands and hold it in front of your chin. Then do about 10 squats. The weight is more for balance than to add weight. If you have any knee pain while doing the squats, stop and come back the next day. No bouncing. 

You never have to increase the weight or number of reps on any of these exercises.

The first rule for any exercise routine is if something starts to hurt, stop doing it at the first indication. Take a day or two off and come back to it.

Expect to progress through a series of aches and pains as you get in better shape. 

Best Answer

You might get a lift for your healthy foot so the boot keeps your hips aligned.

ITA with joining a gym, then you can use the different pieces of equipment and later decide what you want to buy.  Some offer month to month or 3 month passes.   Good luck!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I spent 2016 in a cast and had 2 surgeries. I was non-weight bearing the entire year and stuck with low carb/keto way of eating and some of the simple pilates movements. I lost 20 pounds. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have two conditions in which it involves my nervous system and muscular systems. Walking can be hard most days due to back, hip, and leg pain and weakness. Physical therapy might give you some help with strengthening exercises. Try another gym because there are many have excellent trainers that can steer you toward the right equipment and the right way to use them. I wish you luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes