Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancer

I have an inoperable cancer.  I must be treated with chemo  and radiation.  I don't want to stop being active but I would love suggestions to at least keep me moving.  I am 69 and my present step goal is 7000.  I haven't been able to reach that since I had pneumonia and then the cancer diagnosis.  I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

First off I'm sorry. Secondly my boss is currently going through radiation following chemo treatments. During this time she went to dance class and would go for short walks around the neighborhood. Yes the diagnoses sucks but just getting out of the house for a stroll can help with depression and also allows you to enjoy the life of each day given to us. Find a support group and maybe see if someone wants to partner up and go for walks.  Also side note my boss suggests having a nice comfortable pillow on the side of the bed for those times you have hot flashes in the middle of the night. She grabs the pillow on the side of the bed and switches it out. Plus she keeps bottles of the evian spray with her at all times for when you feel like your skin is on fire.

Best Answer

@Knittingfingers I am so sorry to hear that. You are clearly incredibly strong if what you are worried about is to keep moving. Judging by your name, you are a knitter. Let that be your activity, along with short walks, maybe a ride on a stationary bike if you have access to one or a lap or two in a pool if that's an option. Mostly keep yourself busy doing things that bring you joy- don't worry about the must do's. I wish you the best, hugs.. E.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
I still do about 3500-4000 steps a day and knit or crochet prayer shawls. This whole thing is really hard to wrap around my head. I'm an old farm girl and teacher so I am used to an active schedule. This is hard. Thank you all for the suggestions. I will do my best to keep my spirits up.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

There are several support groups at my cancer centers Summa and Seidman (part of Case Western University Hospitals).  I also have a friend who comes with me to all treatments. I am blessed.  I promise that I will keep busy.  NO DEPRESSION in this house.  

Best Answer

My partner is in the third year now of her incurable cancer fight, and she's found, through the chemo and the surgeries and the sickness and everything, that low-level exercise has been the key to keeping her active. She's 45 and spent six months bed bound after initial diagnosis. Now she's working daily and walking as much as she can. It's slow, but there are studies out there that show that remaining active and moving can help not only with the derpression, but with the side effects of most chemos.

Good luck and God love ya! It's an incredibly hard road, I know, but you CAN keep on keeping on!

Best Answer
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your encouraging words.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Been there and treatments can be really draining and make you very tired. Just take short walks if you can and of course your knitting. Im sure you will find other ways to keep busy as well

Do keep us posted!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi knittingfingers - I am so sorry for your diagnosis. My suggestion would be to get a Wii fit if you can. Connect it to your TV. It has balance games, yoga exercises, gentle aerobics etc. and is a lot of fun. Best of luck with your treatment.

Brenda

Best Answer

Hi Knittingfingers,

a  verydifficult time for you. The thing to remember is not to be too hard on yourself if you have down days its ok. Sometimes people get so exausted just trying to be positive and not allowing themselves to grieve losses in life. Aknowledge those thoughts then move on which I think you most likely are. It sound like you are truly blessed to have good friend for support. Perhaps you can start making some beanies for the cancer patients going through Chemo again you may arleady be doing this.

Keap us posted warm hugs to you

Best Answer

My daughter bought me the Fitbit Alta to encourage me in recovery from cancer.  I have finished treatment and had bi-lateral mastectomy and I am now through with treatments and getting my port out This week. I have little energy but having just got my fit bit and a yoga ball, I feel encouraged to  try doing a little bit more each week.  So I am starting with the 1500 steps hoping to be able to be consistent and move up from there. It is a challenge, but after the year I've had, I welcome thinking about being healthy instead of cancer.

Best Answer

I totally agree with what brings you joy! Everyday find and or do something that brings you joy. Have your support team rotate so they don't get too overwhelmed also. I was so blessed to have so many people who were willing to be here or do for me it helped a lot.

Best Answer

I just took up knitting before my diagnosis. I love it!

I will say prayers for you to be able to continue to enjoy the things that make you happy.  The medicine we have available now is so amazing that if you keep your spirits up and do your treatments you will get through  it in better shape and stronger for it.

Best Answer

Can you get in a few short walks during the day?I am very sorry to here,and glad you are staying active.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mcevie,  Don't worry that you are starting out slow. The main thing is you are getting started. Maybe you can try walking for ten to fifteen minutes at a time , maybe once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Work up from there. Before you know it you will be able to do a lot more steps.

Keep at it, don't give up. You can do this. 

Best Answer
When I started with cancer I set my goal low. Just moving means a lot. I am still on radiation and have little strength but am now getting over 5000 steps a day. Any steps you take are a blessing. Don't worry about what you can't do, be thankful for what you can do.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I am a 47 year old teacher recently diagnosed with breast cancer.  I am undergoing chemo currently before surgery.  I live in a rural area.  The only support group I can find meets during the workday.  So far I am able and need to work.  I was hoping Fitbit had a group for cancer patients.  It helps me to hear stories like yours.  I hope your treatments have been effective and that you are on the road to good health.  Cancer has definitely made me thankful for all of my blessings.  Every day is a gift worth giving my all.  

Best Answer
Today was my 12th chemo treatment, and I am very weak. I have 3 more to go, but the great news is that my PT scan on Saturday has shown that the cancer is gone. I know that it will be a long road back to feeling normal, but that's ok.

Keep your spirits up and have faith that you can be healed. My tumor was inoperable and they gave me 6 months to live. Today, God has given me a lifetime.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

You might want to let your doctors know that you hope to be fairly active during your treatment. Perhaps they could advise you on what activity might work with your treatment. Even if all you can do is take little walks, it's better than nothing.

Here's a seated "Lazy Girl" arm workout that might be good. (I would try it, but I can't do dips.) https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Seated-Arm-Workout-5-Minute-Video-36729872

Light yoga might also be good to help keep you active.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am so happy to hear you are now cancer-free. I have also been through chemo and can understand a little about how weak you are feeling now. What kept me going during treatments was a determination to become more physically fit than ever. Sometimes all I did was walk circuits around my bedroom over and again, and do a lot of praying. As soon as I could, I took short walks around the neighborhood. I learned that people who have been through chemo find it hard to get active again, and they don't trust their bodies to be "fit." I was fortunate to get into a Steps to Wellness program for chemo patients where we met in an oncology rehab gym with trainers. By the time I finished the program, I was actually running, and feeling great about it. I am doing more now and feeling more fit than before my diagnosis - it was just one year ago. So, do take it easy for awhile, but do keep trying to do a little more each day. And rejoice in all the healing that is happening in  your life. 🙂

Best Answer