Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desk sitting

I sit all day at a desk, if I leave for lunch someone is always looking for me.  What can I do inside an office for exercise.  Sometimes literally hours pass before I get up.

Best Answer
158 REPLIES 158

I make it a point to get out of chair and walk for at least 300-400 steps before sitting back down.  I use bathroom breaks to do this since it prompts me it's time to walk.  Helps with getting step goals in and also from being stiff during the day.  It's not good for us to stay sitting for long periods.  Studies have shown it reduces longevity so I figure it's important to do this despite how busy I am or what other pressing problem I'm dealing with.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, I've read that sitting is bad for us, too.  In some cultures, especially back in history, people did more squatting than sitting, which was a lot better for you.  

I might need to spend a lot of time at the treadmill desk today.  My back is sore from sitting poorly the last few days.  I hurt it doing Bikram yoga last year and it's touchy now.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
0 Votes

for us not so technically savy, what is a google extension? I'm interested!

Best Answer
0 Votes

A Google "extension" is a small program that you use with Google Chrome. It adds "new features to your browser, and personalizes that experience" (Google, 2014) You find get a glimpse of it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions

Best Answer

I used to be the same way... I'm an IT guy and I used to rarely get up from my desk. I finally told myself that work isn't as important as my health. Now I drop what I'm doing and take 45 minutes to work out. The work will still be there when I get back. With fitbit and my excercise plan I have lost 17 pounds in less than a month.

Best Answer

Congratulations.  Stay with it.  Yes, the work will be there when you get back.  Besides, if we ruin our health by sitting all day long, we may impress people with our intensity.   However, if your health is damaged or you develop aches/pains that keep you from enjoying life, what have you really gained. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am an executive assitant to the VP so it is hard to get away from the desk, (someone always seems to need something, so I know how you feel) I have a sit stand workstation, and I try to stand more.

But I have talked with my boss, and let him know that everyday at 3 pm, I have a WALK DATE with another admin.  it sort of keeps me accountable to let her down and not walk.

We only take 15 min. but we HOOF it around the building sometimes we get in 2x. 

I would say it is almost a mile (it's a big building!) if we do it twice.

We do it so quickly we are not really missed.  And we are out of breath...which makes me drink more water...A win win!

Kimberly
Best Answer

I do same every morning and afternoon.  Use the stairs between floors to help raise heart rate.  Alot of easy and simple things we can do as "desk sitters".    Good for you!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have multi levels in your building?  I've gone to a sit down job and it's been rough to get used to.  I've always worked in sales, so sitting wasn't ever really an option.  Next week I'm starting to take a break every hour and use the stairs, rather than the elevator.  I work on the 5th floor, so I should get some good exercise throughout the day and it won't take long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have an office to yourself you may be able to do some strength training. Can you close the door and do some push ups, sit ups, or leg lifts? A set of 25 of one of those could be completed in less than a couple minutes. Throughout the day you could get 100 total of each. If sets of 25 can't be done just do whatever you can and work up from there. It also gets the blood flowing and may even make you more productive and focused. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used to have an office desk job and did many of the suggestions here: take the stairs at work, drink lots of tea so I needed to use the washroom a lot (bonus: away from the phone for a moment!), got off the bus several stops early so had a 20 minute walk to and from each day. 

Now I work at home and although I'm going to the gym and have home workout dvds, it's so easy to just start working in the morning, especially if the weather isn't good, and not get that walk in. I've had my Fitbit for about a week now and it's made me MUCH more conscious of how much sitting around I can do if I'm not careful.

I'm also an EA to an executive (but remote) so I'm sort of always on call, but am lucky that as long as I have the phone with me, I can handle most things. 

Best Answer
Getting my first 10000 before work - I have trained myself to get up early - after I get home I sometimes am too tired - getting 8 hours of sleep the last few days and getting snow steps - onto the second set of 10000 before work!!
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I have a program running that is tying up my computer I take that time and march in place at my desk. I'm also lucky enough to have a gym on site, so I walk on the treadmill for my monrning and afternoon "smoke" breaks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, getting up periodically is key. There are studies that have shown that people who do intense cardio for 45 minutes a day and then sit for 12 hours, are sedenary, not active.

I wish I could get 5 minutes in yet am doing okay by doing at least 100 steps every 15 mintutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find that getting going into an empty room for a cell phone call enables me to walk and talk.

Alternatively, getting a headset for a corded phone would even enable someone in a cublicle or office to walk around a little. 

Best Answer
Today I am walking at lunch - every other day now
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

I get up every hour and walk around for 5 minutes and then at lunch, go for a walk to clear my head and get in a lot of my daily steps.  Smiley Happy

Chad B
Best Answer
0 Votes

I sit at a desk all day, too.  It is hard to find time to get my steps in during the day, but as others mentioned, take a five minute break every now and then.  Also, when I see my steps are low during the day, it gives me an incentive to hit it hard in the evening.  Good luck.  Stay fit!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since I work at home, I find I do a lot of pacing while on the phone (sometimes while getting very annoyed with people!). And it's easy to do some on the spot calisthenics when I'm feeling sluggish. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are multiple restrooms in our office, so I make a point of walking to the furthest one.  I also have scheduled a Windows Task that pops up a message every hour to remind me to get up for a few moments.

For lunch I walk around the office building.  I am still around if someone needs me (I make sure to walk by my workspace as part of my walk path).  If the weather is nice though, I walk around the outside of the office building and anyone looking for me will just have to wait.

Best Answer