Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I really need to buy "walking shoes" versus running shoes?

ANSWERED

Hi all.

I'm not a runner (limp lungs prohibit too much cardio), but I am an avid walker of 3-5 miles a day.  I have seen lots of dire warnings about how I need to go to a sporting goods store and get fitted for specific walking shoes, rather than buying running shoes, or else Dire Horrible Orthopedic Things will happen to me.  Walking shoes seem to be to have a much more limited selection, and in many cases be more expensive (the Famous Footwear near me sells last year's styles of name brand running shoes at great prices).

I totally get that I need supportive, decent brand athletic shoes, but is it really that big of a deal that they be dedicated "walking shoes?"  I would love opinions from other walkers.

Thanks!

Dodger

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

I am really baffled by a few of the replies you have received.

So I'm going to add my .02!

When I run I land on my forefoot. I absolutely avoid any impact on my heels! Years ago I began jogging and had shin splints so bad I could hardly walk because I was landing on my heels. I had no runner friends to correct me and the medical advice I got was "stop". That was too bad, that doc clearly had no clue.

I wear NB Minimus or Vivo Barefoot shoes. They are much like racing flats and have no heel cushioning. They are not good for walking since the heels are the landing/impact point for that activity. So a walking shoe will "defend" your heels and lower legs and stabilize your gait.

If/when I begin a "serious" walking program I'll spend the $ for a dedicated sport shoe. 

Pete

Peter Flynn
Best Answer

I am also looking for shoes to wear  which are good for flat feet. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I considered running shoes (even tho I am a walker only) mostly when starting out 4 months ago, due to terrible blisters on my feet....  I went from my original New Balance shoes to another New balance shoe without improvement, to Sketchers with no change to a third pair of New Balance (I tend toward NB because I have wide feet, and most other brands are just too narrow), anyway, a friend at work (a daily runner and marathoner) asked what socks I walked in.  I was walking in cotton socks....she said that was my problem!...

She said buy "balega" socks...I was hesitant, since they are $15 a pair, but I bought a couple pair and it was an instant improvement!  My daily walks went from 3-5 miles (painful miles..) to now walking 10 miles a day, with an average of 8+ miles daily over the last 4 months.  I now have a drawer full of "balega" socks (it's all I wear...cotton socks are all gone!)  Oh, I can still get a blister if I walk 15-20 miles and climb >100 floors in a walk....but I'm generally a 10 mile and 25-30 floor walker...

I'd suggest changing socks first.....

R

Best Answer

Hey Everyone! 

I'm looking for a good walking shoe without breaking the bank. 

So far I'm leaning toward ASKS Women's Gel Quick WK 2 Walking Shoe or Skechers Memory Foam or go walk....looking for advise

Thanks,

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @ArtfulDodger - I am not sure of the "official" answer to this, but can share what I do. I am a runner - 25 - 35 miles per week, but also do a lot of walking. I have never bought "walking" shoes. I buy good running shoes and when I hit the 300 - 350 mile mark, I retire my running shoes and they become my walking shoes. At that mileage, they are still in very good shape, but have lost some of their snap. I have never had a problem with this. Accoordingly, my 2 cents would be that walking in running shoes is fine! Good luck!

Best Answer

Hi @Kadureken. I agree, to a point, with @Ozzie65. My advice is to avoid walking shoes and buy yourself the best running shoe your budget can afford. I usually buy two pairs, and alternate them daily. In doing so, the memory foam has a change to recover and retains it's unique cushioning characterics much better. This MO might be more costly upfront; but it evens out over a period of a year.

I always buy last year's model of a particular model I like, usually at a 50% discount. 

A good shoe is the most important part of your apparel if you're intent on walking as a fitness goal. So it's always advisable to find a good specialty shop who will look at your foot characteristic and your gait and allow you to make an informed decision. No matter what the make of the shoe is, it is important that the shoe be a good fit for you (neutral, supinate or overpronate.) A bad choice can spell disaster in the long run.

GL!

Best Answer

@ArtfulDodger Personally, i would recommend spending that bit extra and get yourself a pair of dedicated walking shoes.

They are structured in a way where they support your feet/joints etc where they need it most during walking. Here in NZ, they will get your to walk/run (depending on what you are doing) and then analyse your movement and match you to the correct shoe.

I recently brought some new running shoes, which set me back $220 NZD. TOTALLY WORTH IT! I have been buying dedicated running shoes for a number of years now, and would never go back.

A few years ago, i purchased some "cheap and nasty" trainers, and wow, they caused me so many issues. Never again!!

So yes, i recommend taking the plunge and purchasing shoes set for their intended purpose. Im sure you wont regret it!

"Act like a lady...Lift like a BOSS"
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am coming off a one year foot injury and extensive physical therapy.  (some of us learn the hard way)  I was told by the therapist, who is also a runner and walker, that running shoes are made with more support and cushioning.  They tend to also have excellent correction for types of pronating.  That said, it is very difficult to buy the shoes just by going to a store and quickly seeing what feels good.  A place to shop would be a running store with a treadmill so you can try them out.  I was told by the therapist what to look for for my feet.  I needed a lot of support, which is firm and not as comfy as cushioning shoes.  But they work for me.  I found a place run by a former physical therapist.  But that is rare.  It is also very easy to get inserts that you can put into shoes to make them a better adaptation for your feet. Podiatrists can custom make t he inserts (for 3-4 hundred dollars).  I know people who got them after considerable pain and swear by them now.  I bought the cheaper inserts (about $30) and I put them into all my shoes.  It took a bit of experimenting.  I have no pain at all now and still use them.  And still do the foot exercises.  

If you were a tennis player, would you use a cheap racquet instead of the one that worked with your body?  If you were a carpenter, would you buy junky tools to save the money?  Well, we are walkers and runners, right?  The shoes we wear are our most important tools.  And, believe me, you don't want to be sidelined from a foot injury from bad shoes.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I'm recovering from foot surgery and I am a walker.  My doctor suggested running shoes with extra cushion for better support and comfort.  I recently purchased a pair of the Sketchers Memory foam running shoe and Reebok Sublites.  The best decision I ever made.  I found them on sale at Sears for $15 a pair.  He also suggested Hoka's they're a running shoe.  They are not cheap, however they are also Awesome!!.  I found them online for $55 (in the store they're $100 plus) and I'm so glad  I listened to him. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I walk about 80K steps per week.  In order to fit walking into my work/family schedule, I have to walk when opportunity presents.  Because of this, often I have little time to switch to my official "walking shoes" (that are actually Adidas running shoes).  Something uncanny has happened as a result - I have learned how to purchase shoes that I can wear (and feel stylish) and walk for miles (without any issues). I can even wear them on the treadmil!  Shocking as this seems to me at times, I sincerely have reduced the use of my offical "walking shoes".   The brands that I have had luck with are Jambu, Sketcher Parallel, White Mountain, Fly New York, and Dansko.  If you don't want to break the bank, my vote is Sketchers (hands down!)  I wonder (out loud) if anyone has ever used a hiking shoe like Solomon and experienced good luck on pavement.  My personal goal is to go to 100K /week by the end of the year.  I will keep you posted if my shoe-luck continues.  With 100% certainty, I think a proper shoe is key to long term walking success.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Use whatever shoes work for you.

If you start to feel even minor pain, take a day or two off. This will avoid more serious injuries that can become crhonic.

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, Shirl. I'm new as well. Trying to do 10,000 steps during the week (due to time contraints,) and plan on ramping it up a bit on weekends with weights and the treadmill. Just got my Charge HR and am loving it, and the Fitbit site.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started power walking every day about a year ago and went on a crusade to find the perfect shoe for power walking. I litterally have 8 pairs for running shoes that range from $100.00 to $180.00.

This began when I went on a 5 mile power walk at a local state park. I got about 2.5 miles into the walk, and my feet where killing me. At that point I still had to walk 2.5 miles either way so i had to pain through the last 2.5 miles. That made me realize that if I'm going to do this every day, I'm going to need not just good shoes, but great shoes.

I walk at a very fast pace (4 to 4.5 mph), and I walk on blacktop/asphault surfaces, so the shoes have to have good cushioning, but at the same time provide a little spring off. I have found that running shoes are better suited for this style of walking, and running shoes are better built for this type of pounding.

Depending on your walking style, you may need a neutral, stability, or motion control shoe. I prefer the neutral shoes as i have a pretty good pronation when I walk.

Here is a short list of the shoes I use for my power walks in the order that I personally prefer...

1. Brooks Glycerin 13

2. Under Armour Speedform Gemini

3. Under Armour Speedform Fortis

4. Adidas Supernova Glide

5. Brooks Pureflow

Those are my top 5. I also have a pair of Hoka One Clifton 2's that are nice, but they seem to have just a little too much cushoining and it feels like I am fighting the cushion a little.

Things to look for in walking shoes...

Shoe should roll from heel to toe as you step and not slap on the ground with each step. Slapping will cause your ankles, shins, knees, and hips to hurt after a while.

Shoes should feel snug everywher but tight no where.

Really try the shoes out in the store walking at a fast pace back and forth. You may look stupid, but you will thank yourself later when you put them through the real test.

Shoes should have good cushioning but yet give enough springback as to keep your step quick.

Shoes should have a comfortable arch for "your" feet.

Shoes should be fairly light weight. Remember, you have to lift your feet with each step too.

Also, if you want to walk for fitness as in power walking, it is important to develop a good walking style.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I was an avid runner and now I am limited. So walking is more for me. There is a difference between running and walking shoes. More padding in the runners shoes from what I am told. I wore New Balance for running. They also make a walking shoe now. I decided to try Asics with the gel cushing. For me it works. Everyone's feet and stride are drifferent. I would go to a good shoe store and have them measure you and make suggestions. Hope this works.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I personally like the cross trainers! They fit s variety of cardio fitness needs😂you can interchange them for walking and running especially,again this is my opinion enjoy your stepping with fit bit
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have settled for New Balance black walkers because I have a wide foot. I was using their black Cross Trainers.  At 76 I only walk now and having the walkers allows me to cover all social situations.

In Australia my Health Fund offers discounts periodically on shoes and I normally purchase 4 pair and interchange them regularly, because, like many others in Fitbit we have found all of the shoes have a limited life.

This link gives you information on the expected life and my NewBalance store confirmed that.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Where do we find these "Professionals" who can analyze our gait? The guys in the stores don't seem very knowledgeable, and mostly want to push the most expensive brands.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've always bought shoes at the Running Room.  They're mostly Canadian (https://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?lang=1&id=3033) but when you go in, they'll ask a couple of questions, have you take off your shoes and walk back and forth before they suggest a couple of different options.  I've always seen them offer me a low, mid and high-end option.  Although to be fair I think even their cheaper shoes aren't necessarily low price.  I've worn their choices for years (and carried around way too much extra weight).  I'm sure there must be an equivalent in other countries.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

Look for specialized running stores in your area. I would call ahead and ask if they do gait analysis. They should have a treadmill available in store for both analyzing how you run/walk and to allow you to properly test shoes. I would not buy a pair of serious running/walking shoes without testing it on a treadmill under various conditions - such as incline variations and speed. 

Some major shoe companies have stores in various cities. I find that people working in these are quite knowledgeble. There's a Nike and a Brooks store in my city. I heard good things about the Nike store, but didn't visit it myself. The Brooks store is great. I was there just a week ago fitting their latest models and not only were the employees very helpful, they also had treadmills for proper testing. 

Best Answer