Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise Ideas for Senior Adults/Citizens

I find this to be an interesting topic. My father can't do most workouts since he has a lot of back pain and I've been looking for ideas to give him so he can stay active. 

Finding ways to get exercise as you get older is important to improve health and it is also just as important in your older years as when you were younger. It’s also well known that regular exercise can help to boost heart health, maintain a healthy body weight, keep joints flexible and healthy, and improve balance to reduce falls.

Feel free to share any exercise ideas that you have for  Senior Adults/Citizens? 

old.jpg

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I am a senior citizen and enjoy walking in the pool.  It is easy on my joints.  Because of back pain I use a walker when walking on land and have no pain when using the walker.  I walk from 12,000 to 15,000 steps daily.  I have to wear my charge 3 on my ankle for it to track.  BTW, I am 82.

Best Answer

I am 66 and am working to stave off double knee replacement surgery.  Because of my knees I can't squat, kneel, and need to be careful with twisting,  We have to find something we enjoy doing and adapt that to our specific issues.  Honestly you can't find ways for your dad, he has to find them for himself,  incorporating moving with doing something you enjoy makes is easy and not something you have to force yourself to do.   We don't have to run, do sit ups, or lift weights to be active and healthy; we can walk, garden,  golf,  dance, swim, take pictures, build things, join a club, take up geo caching, bird watching.  Mental activity is just as important as physical activity.

Best Answer

That's definitely a great choice @bsocks! Although I'm still 29 years old, I already have 3 hernias, so I know how useful swimming or walking in the pool can be, but I hadn't thought about the walker, it's a great idea! 😀

I definitely understand what you're saying @BASILCHIVES, when there's pain in a certain part of your body, you're the only one who truly knows and understands what your limits are. I think I'll just give him a few ideas so he can try them out and see if they do work for him or if it's too much. 😁

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! I’m a big fan of my Cubii under table elliptical. With my health issues, I can’t do much walking but that elliptical is fun! Moving my feet or the position of my feet, various muscles get a workout without me getting winded. Like @bsocks , I place my Fitbit at my ankle. It will count revolutions as steps. 30 minutes in the morning with my coffee actually makes my bad knee feel better. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That sounds like a great option as well @SunsetRunner! I've tried this one myself a couple of times because I have 3 hernias and it's very effective. 😀 

Best Answer
0 Votes