Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercising in Peak HR for 10 minutes? Is it safe?

ANSWERED

So here's my dilemma. I know all about HIIT, I know about its benefits. I know about why it is superior to steady-state cardio.

My question is this. HIIT's premise is that you reach Peak HR for 30 second - 2 minutes and rest for 3 minutes and repeat 5 or 10 times. So essentially a 15-20 mintue workout.

I've been training lately, and I am nowhere near fit, but my health is improving, I'm losing weight, building muscle, getting more and more fit by the day.

Today I was able to train at around 181 BPM for 10 minutes straight (I'm 25 by the way, so this is approximately 92-95% max HR depending on which formula you use). I did not once feel tired or dizzy or anything. I did feel a slight tightness in my chest due to needing more oxygen which is expected at such a high heart rate, and for that reason I decided to call it a day, but I could have easily gone another 10 or so minutes at that intensity.

Is this dangerous for me? I know people do HIIT because it's generally easier to maintain high intensity for shorter periods of time, but is 10 minutes at Peak HR bad or dangerous in any way?

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

3 years ago I was obese and at an extremely poor fitness level. I had to have surgery for diverticulitis and have my heart and lungs tested prior to the surgery. The lung tests revealed that I had COPD (40+ years of smoking), and the stress test on my heart did not come out good so they did a catheterization. It revealed no blockage, but a small portion of the bottom of my heart was slightly enlarged, which indicated that I had suffered a heart attack at some point.

They recommended I start exercising, lose weight, and quit smoking, or I would not be around much longer. I was 57 at the time.

I started doing cardio over the next 3 years, and went from barely being able to walk a single mile at a 3 mph pace to being able to power walk 10 miles at a 4+ mph pace, and run 5 miles at close to a 5 mph pace.

I did mostly steady state for the first couple years, and in the second year was able to keep my heart rate in the lower end of zone 5 (90% to 95% of MHR) for up to an hour (total time in zone).

I recently had another stress test done which not only revealed that my heart is very strong, but the damage had healed itself (which does not usually happen). I told the cardiologist about me keeping my heart rate in zone 5 for such long periods of time, and he said that is most likely the reason for the healing and strong heart.

I started running in the past year, and now do a lot of timed intervals. High intensity followed by active recovery. I do this over a distance of 3 to 7+ miles depending on what course I do. I also do steady state too.

HIIT has advantages but mainly to anerobic fitness level. I would still have to give the award for aerobic fitness level to longer steady state workouts.

You can also combine the two and get an extremely good workout by keeping your heart rate in zone 3/4 during the active recovery interval, and extending the total length of the workout to a minimum of 30 minutes (an hour is better).

You should also get a stress test done to determine your true MHR. If you want to do heart rate training, your true MHR is important to know. Mine just happens to be withing a few BPM of the 220 - age formula.

Still check with your doctor though.

Best Answer

@DebAPwrote:

So, are you saying the higher "peak" heart rate is OK?

I'm 66, slim, and pretty fit--a lifelong exerciser.  I go to the gym every other day, where I do 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hrs. aerobics plus 40+ mins. weight training.  I usually walk about 2 hrs. on the other days.  (I no longer run, don't want to injure my knees.)

I really enjoy challenging exercise, and have always pushed myself within reason.  I think I know when I feel I need to slow down.

However, the Fitbit shows me at "peak" heart rate for extended periods of time, sometimes 30+ minutes.  It even shows some peak heart rate for walking with my dog-- who is frisky, and tends to trot along fast, but by no means challenges my stamina!  The walking is extremely easy for me.  (I routinely walk a lot faster minus the dog.)

I'm wondering if the Fitbit (which shows my resting heart rate as "excellant") is off.

I would really have to consciously slow down and reign myself in most days, to avoid the "peak" Fitbit numbers.

The thing is, I enjoy exercising as I currently am, and return home feeling happier for having done it and all around good.  However, I DO want to exercise in a way that helps me stay healthy, fit and trim.

It's not a matter if the Fitbit is off (the fact it's actually reading a high HR is great and shows that part is likely accurate) - it is a matter of the formulas for the ranges based on HRmax, are based on a figure that is very likely off, more so for a woman.

With only 3 HR zones, I'm not sure what % of HRmax they are building them on, but the 220-age has more chance of being inaccurate by minimum 8 bpm, than you being that close to the calculated.

So starters - it's likely 220-age is not your HRmax, yours could be higher.

You sustain anywhere upwards of that 154 HR?

Then your HRmax is higher.

Now, traditionally, Peak HR zone is starting at the upper half of what would be called Tempo zone for charts with 5 zones.

Tempo zone is below Lactate Threshold, meaning it is sustainable for 20-30 min - though hard. No ability to talk while doing it except 1 word at a time between breaths.

So if you are just barely breaking into Fitbit's Peak zone, and indeed your breathing is that heavy - it is possible to maintain there.

If breathing is not that hard, and you can gasp out some short sentences, then your HRmax is estimated wrong and low, therefore the zone is wrong and too low, and you really aren't up into what would be considered your Peak.

Considering your history, the drop in HRmax with age has likely not occurred with you anyway. And then your HRmax could be above the formula too.

If you had a good estimate for HRmax - you can change that setting, and the zones will be improved to more realistic.

The exercise sounds great for keeping you healthy and fit - the slim though comes from how much you eat.

The exercise just allows eating more compared to sitting around all day long.

There is something to be said for the aerobic heart health obtained being in the aerobic HR zone for some time each week, but not Fitibit's estimate of that zone. If you can talk short sentences 5-7 words, then need to pause - that's about aerobic (no matter what Fitbit shows) usually.

If no problem talking longer - that's Active Recovery, great for the day after using same muscles in lifting and need to aid recovery.

If only 1-2 words gasped out - tempo (upper part of tempo is what I think Fitbit considers Peak).

If no words and barely hanging on, and only for 5 min perhaps - anaerobic.

Here may be another estimate for HRmax, and then a chart that uses your resting HR to get better table.

Start with equation 5 or 6 - then click the link under it for training zones, and use the middle Karvonen method.

http://www.fitdigits.com/maximum-heart-rate.html

Here they name them differently again - Zone 3 is the Tempo I was talking about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
Hello Heybales,
Thank you for that information.  I saved the link, and will apply that formula, so I can see.
Years ago, I used to  calculate a personalized training heart rate, based on a book by Cooper.  I'd check as I exercised. But then, got to a point where I could feel when it was right, kind of like with the talking thing you referenced.  So, I checked less often.
I started checking again since having the Fitbit, because it's so easy to do.  (Even though I still think I can feel it.)
I've more or less continued the same exercise program since my 20's/30's (except I no Ionger run and have made a few concessions on aerobic machine traction levels, mainly to protect my knees).  I actually feel energized when I leave the gym v.s. exhausted.  I think I've trained my body to want to exercise.
I do need to maintain a stretching program.  I've been doing that since my 30's, but now find it more imperative, if I want to continue the exercise..  I enjoy stretching anyway--it keeps me flexible to a point that really surprises doctors.
You're obviously a knowledgeable and avid exerciser.  I'm not sure of your age but, if you maintain it, you'll wind up with a much younger body than your actual years.  I speak from experience.
Thanks again.

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DebAPwrote:
Hello Heybales,
Thank you for that information.  I saved the link, and will apply that formula, so I can see.
Years ago, I used to  calculate a personalized training heart rate, based on a book by Cooper.  I'd check as I exercised. But then, got to a point where I could feel when it was right, kind of like with the talking thing you referenced.  So, I checked less often.
I started checking again since having the Fitbit, because it's so easy to do.  (Even though I still think I can feel it.)
I've more or less continued the same exercise program since my 20's/30's (except I no Ionger run and have made a few concessions on aerobic machine traction levels, mainly to protect my knees).  I actually feel energized when I leave the gym v.s. exhausted.  I think I've trained my body to want to exercise.
I do need to maintain a stretching program.  I've been doing that since my 30's, but now find it more imperative, if I want to continue the exercise..  I enjoy stretching anyway--it keeps me flexible to a point that really surprises doctors.
You're obviously a knowledgeable and avid exerciser.  I'm not sure of your age but, if you maintain it, you'll wind up with a much younger body than your actual years.  I speak from experience.
Thanks again.

Like you, I enjoy running, and enjoyed it more, but want to protect the knees know. For years I've done a jog/walk interval method during training for that point. Then on race day here I come.

Just takes a load off when doing long runs, which I figure can't hurt. Biking I enjoy more know, so pretty safe there.

I'm pretty sure I started out with a Honda heart, high rev'ing, and have mainly kept HRmax up.

I have same method for jogging - comfortable pace that feels right speed. HR logging is merely for after the run facts. Unless I alert during it to keep slower. That way I can see as my aerobic base improves each year - winter is usually lifting and I'll lose some of it. Depending on sickness, most of it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Heybales,
I think my sister also does the run-walk thing with good results.  Perhaps I'll try it. II somehow injured my knee running at the beach last year, and wound up with a burst Baker's Cyst-- my first real injury and a setback from which I had to bounce back (with physical therapy).
Like you, I sometimes  bike (or do the original style elliptical trainer) when I want lower impact exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The biggest hype of a fad is the incorporation of tabata into workouts.  That workout is suppose to be performed at 170% VO2 max, which is incredibly hard to reach, let alone sustain for 20 sec, and to be repeated 8x with a 10 sec recovery in between.  I see it everywhere, from low intensity workouts, to at most something where somebody is breaking a sweat.  The person needs to be dying, if not the first one, should be by the 4th or 5th one.

To see how hard it should be, use your estimated VO2max, subtract 7 from it, multiply by your weight in LB, and divide by 23.8.  That is the sustainable power output in watts at 100% VO2max.  Now go to one of those stationary bikes in the gym, set the display to show watts, then crank up the resistance high enough and pedal fast enough so you reach your 1.7x of your sustainable watts output and hold for 20 sec.  That's how hard you should be pushing.  Forget how close it is to your calculated max heart rate, because this is how hard you should be working on HIIT.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@phatbitzrwrote:

The biggest hype of a fad is the incorporation of tabata into workouts.  That workout is suppose to be performed at 170% VO2 max, which is incredibly hard to reach, let alone sustain for 20 sec, and to be repeated 8x with a 10 sec recovery in between.  I see it everywhere, from low intensity workouts, to at most something where somebody is breaking a sweat.  The person needs to be dying, if not the first one, should be by the 4th or 5th one.

To see how hard it should be, use your estimated VO2max, subtract 7 from it, multiply by your weight in LB, and divide by 23.8.  That is the sustainable power output in watts at 100% VO2max.  Now go to one of those stationary bikes in the gym, set the display to show watts, then crank up the resistance high enough and pedal fast enough so you reach your 1.7x of your sustainable watts output and hold for 20 sec.  That's how hard you should be pushing.  Forget how close it is to your calculated max heart rate, because this is how hard you should be working on HIIT.

I think the bigger fad is calling anything that gets intense, especially things that can really ONLY be intense, as HIIT.

That term used to be specific to a specific type of interval training, compared to regular intervals, Sprint Interval Training (SIT), ect. Now many sites are just lumping them together.

And intervals used to be taking something that would normally be done as endurance cardio (running, biking, rowing, swimming), but instead done as intervals to get a specific effect from them, to benefit the cardio activity.

Now applied to almost anything - I guess because it sounds better to say you are doing it - therefore routines are called HIIT to get attention.

Even the Tabata research was on bike, ie cardio. But you'll find articles now that say use it on anything, kettle balls, pushups, situps, ect.

Uh, no, if you want the specific benefits given by the research, you do it the same way.

If you want something that was going to be intense anyway, and just want to make it faster pace so it can be done only for 20 sec, then not the same improvements to the aerobic/anaerobic system.

Sure you'll get improvements, but not the same. Just harder.

If that's the only purpose, making it harder, then hold your breath next time during the 10 sec rest, it'll make it much harder!

Actually, the Tabata routine as done with somewhat athletic people (but medically safe) in the study, is still tough, but not that bad - because their VO2max wasn't that high, so it wasn't as bad to get 170% of it being low. They could also specifically measure everything needed - watts, HR, ect.

They actually weren't at max effort even on first set. But, their last set was pretty poor compared to the first set, so it obviously took a lot out of them.

They also didn't recalc their VO2max during the 6 weeks as they were increasing it and use it - or then their workouts would have become pretty hard, because as you mention, the range left up to their HRmax would have shrunk.

It would have been interesting to recalc on their ending higher VO2max, and then have them attempt the workout again at new values.

I'll bet it would have degraded even faster, because the recovery is too short.

And like you did they had to do - can't actually go by HR because it responds too slow and starts just being elevated in general - you have to calculate the watts required to produce that from tests already done too.

Treadmill especially hard to estimate that, but can be done. But that ramps up even slower when it's time to go hard, could take 5-10 sec.

Elliptical seems to be easy to increase fast - but not sure how you'd estimate resistance - so I guess going all out, or almost, would be good enough.

But it does produce some real improvements for those not well trained.

Not sure what kind of improvements you get with someone already trained, since not as big of improvements available.

So it's one of those studies that is interesting just how much improvement you can get out of untrained or lightly athletic people.

But real world continued usage - does it keep making improvements, does it help hold onto improvements? What's the usefulness of the improved anaerobic markers, unless you do indeed use it for soccer, basketball, ect? Sure the improved aerobic markers could be useful. Except, their results showed the energy was supplied by carbs mainly compared to fat - that's not going to benefit endurance cardio where you need better fat usage with carb usage limited by stores.

Despite that study, there were studies years before (perhaps what he was testing against) that showed good aerobic training improved the anaerobic side of the range (by raising Lactate threshold), better than the anaerobic training improved the aerobic side of the range - which actually the Tabata study still seemed to say.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You said that you felt tightness in your chest and you are just getting started or new to working out. Tightness in the chest is an symptom of an impending heart attack or stroke. I would suggest that you get checked out by your doctor before proceeding further with any type of intense exercise. 

Best Answer
That doesn’t sound like my post, which was about the heart rate during
intense exercise.

On the advice of my GP, I had a cardiologist check my heart because I got
heart rates above the usual for my age. He ran a stress test and a stress
test while viewing images of the heart under stress. The results said I
had an athletic heart, and the heart stress was OK for me.

I advise anyone to get their heart checked if you notice high heart rates
on the Garmin.
--
Phillip Julian
(919) 623-1309
(919) 772-9349
Best Answer
0 Votes