Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FYI July -- Step Challenge and Photo Scavenger Hunt

FYI July — Step Challenge and Photo Scavenger Hunt

Just a little For Your Information that we are halfway through 2019, and it is time to sign up for another monthly challenge. And a reminder that if you happen to see this for the first time mid-month, jump on in; there is no need to wait for another challenge to start next month.

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to encourage you to set and hit your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The theme this month is a parade or other outside event or a famous landmark.  In the US there should be plenty of material on or around July 4.  Elsewhere it might be a market or someplace near you that regular shows up in the paper or on television.

Outdoor JamsOutdoor JamsFamous Landmark :-)Famous Landmark 🙂

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

FYI July 4

5,000 steps on 10 days a month  -  1/10.

10,000 steps on 15 days a month  -  2/15.

15,000 steps on 5 days a month  -  1/5.

*NEW* Two gym visits per week  -  2/2, 1/4

Eat 1 piece of fruit per day  -  3/30.

10 wall pushups on 20 days a month  -  4/20.

7 hours sleep on 20 days a month  -  3/20.

Scavenger hunt photos.

Best Answer

Day 4

Daily Steps Goal: 6000 Steps - 3/31 

Extra Step Goals: 10,000 Steps - 1/4

Extra Step Goals: 15,000 Steps - 0/2

Peak Heart Rate Goal: 20 minutes - 3/20

Cardio Goal: 125 minutes - 3/20

Yoga Goal - 3/20

Jumping 5+ Minutes - 2/20

Water Fun Goal - 1/20 

Dog Walking Goal - 6/12

Dog Training Goal  - 11/12

@WendyB I tend to kill any plant that I try to keep around as well. I was surprised to see my Bleeding Heart bush came back this year after planting it last year.  It should come back every year, but mine never do.

@Jotex If you want to see a true test, give up wheat/gluten for 6 weeks.  Then try it again!  Wow the change you will see then!  The gluten that is in your system is gone in about a week.  But it takes several more weeks for your body to repair the damage the gluten has done.  That's why they advise 6 weeks.  But that is super hard to do.  I am lucky that I don't have to eat that way like my family.  But I'm so used to it, that when we do go out for dinner I typically still order my hamburger without a bun.  I realized I like the taste better that way and I don't get too full that way either.  But I may cheat and have a piece of pizza once in a while.  My husband and kids would not be able to cheat like that as it causes way too much pain for them.

Photos:  I did go to the 4th of July parade today, but I took my pup Talia is somewhat afraid of people and the crowd was way to big for us to get close.  We sat about a block away and watched from a distance, so I didn't take any pictures.  But we have all kinds of fun events this weekend.  I'll get a picture somewhere!

Best Answer

We had my daughter and grandson over yesterday, so didn’t get steps or anything else in. But we did enjoy watching 4-year old Flynn play with water! 

Thanks for sharing your experiences with gluten @BMANintheUP. Come to think of it, we did have sandwiches for lunch, and that evening I was in a lot of pain. Had to take Irfen 600 (Ibuprofen) before I went to bed. Seems to be getting worse. 😬 In about 11 days I leave for 4 weeks in Texas. Can’t always control the meal ingredients there. But I do accept your challenge to go 6 weeks without gluten after that. 

Flynn playing with a funny water wheelFlynn playing with a funny water wheel

Best Answer

July Goals - Day 5
10,000 steps: 4/15 days
Train w/weights: 3/8 days
Reverse Crunches: 3/15 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 3/8 days

Scavenger Hunt* Pics: 0/3 pics

Best Answer

July Goals Day 5

Steps: Goal 10,000-11,000 31 days: 5/31

Boxing 31 days: 5/31

Bike 3 times 31 days: 3/31

Weights DVD 18 days: 3/18

Stomach YouTube 31 days : 5/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 31 days: 5/31

Leg Exercises 31 days: 5/31

250 Steps per hour 31 days: 5/31

Log food daily 31 days: 5/31

Scavenger Hunt Photos 3: 3/3

Really miss my bike. But new one is coming Monday! Woot!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

July Goals Day 6

Steps: Goal 10,000-11,000 31 days: 6/31

Boxing 31 days: 6/31

Weights DVD 18 days: 3/18

Stomach YouTube 31 days : 6/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 31 days: 6/31

Leg Exercises 31 days: 6/31

250 Steps per hour 31 days: 6/31

Log food daily 31 days: 6/31

Community Council Member

Best Answer

July Goals - Day 6
10,000 steps: 5/15 days
Train w/weights: 4/8 days
Reverse Crunches: 4/15 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 4/8 days

Best Answer

7 July

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   6/20

4 days over 15,000 steps                                             1/4           

1 day over 20,000 steps                                                 1/1

Swim 2x per week                                                           2/8              

Dance prac 6 hours a week                                           -/24

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                      2/6            

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     -/3 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Goals:  20k+ steps per day, 25 floors or more. No point in logging miles since steps are up. I am still doing the free weights and yoga about 3x a week.  Still hiking with Jake about an hour per day.

7/3 steps 26,337, floors 42

7/4 steps  22,709, floors 19

7/5 steps  28,775, floors 36

7/6 steps 31,599, floors 111 - rode today instead of Wednesday due to the Holiday. Seven miles on the horse and most of the floors.

Other new:  Bought a Charge 3 on sale for $99 arrived Friday. Much easier to read the screen when we are out hiking or riding.  My cell phone was dying slowly and seemed to have a virus on it. Sooo, got a new cell phone (as did my wife). Went the cheap route and got A50's from Verizon ($350 each). Actually very nice phones, similar to Samsung 9s phones.  Of course now we have to learn all the new features and try to find the stuff we normally use. Thanks to google cloud for making data transfer very easy. 

On another note, my driver's license expires on my birthday, July 10th. I decided to get the new "starred" license that is valid for travel. Well, just try and find your original SS card after 62 years!  Thanks to a very organized wife it magically appeared. Then dug out my Passport, a utility bill (?), my old license AND the postcard the state sent me to renew my license? Not sure of the purpose of all this but I was issued a new license with a picture of some old man on it. Hope it works!

@WendyB  If your husband is afraid of horses they will sense it. Tell him to relax, smile and approach slowly.  They will love him, especially if he carries an apple wedge with him.

Best Answer

@benvegi  Yes they do sense it.  They back off even when just walking by. I take carrots out to them on occasion and he really backs off when I put out my hand. He says they are going to bite me. I say Uhhhhh No I got food!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
That's funny! You may have to ride with other people 😁
Best Answer

July Goals Day 7

Steps: Goal 10,000-11,000 31 days: 7/31

Boxing 31 days: 7/31

Weights DVD 18 days: 4/18

Stomach YouTube 31 days : 7/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 31 days: 7/31

Leg Exercises 31 days: 7/31

250 Steps per hour 31 days: 7/31

Log food daily 31 days: 7/31

@benvegiLOL I will be riding with other people. Heck when the goats were getting out of the pasture I would go down and play with them. He would stand way back. He is afraid of goats to. LOL

The guy who has the riding horses told DH to come and pat them. He said they really will not hurt you. But when he got close one of them Bayed at him LOL He liked me though Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Best Answer

July Goals - Day 7
10,000 steps: 6/15 days

Best Answer

Day 7

Daily Steps Goal: 6000 Steps - 7/31 

Extra Step Goals: 10,000 Steps - 2/4

Extra Step Goals: 15,000 Steps - 0/2

Peak Heart Rate Goal: 20 minutes - 7/20

Cardio Goal: 125 minutes - 7/20

Yoga Goal - 3/20

Jumping 5+ Minutes - 3/20

Water Fun Goal - 3/20 

Dog Walking Goal - 18/21

Dog Training Goal  - 19/21

My goals are off to an impressively great start for me!  My Yoga & Jumping goals are down.  But my step counts have been way up.  This week I've hit 2 days over 10,000 steps and coming close to 12,000 each one of those days.  Walking the dogs is a bit part of that.  I have a few new friends that are helping me to socialize my 1 yr old pup and so I've been doing extra training.  I still haven't done much for pictures as of yet, but I'll have a new grandson to photograph soon!

@benvegi Happy Birthday!  Sounds like you had quite the fun shopping and proving yourself!  🙂  Us crazy July born people gotta stick together!

Best Answer

July Goals:  EOD 7/7

15,000 Steps on Weekend Days:  1/8 Days

17,700 Steps on Week Days: 0/23 Days

Yoga Twice a Week (4 Full Weeks): 1/4 Weeks

Free Weights Three times a Week (4 Full Weeks): 1/4 Weeks

The heat and humidity absolutely killed me the past week.  Not to mention impromptu time off from work (building I work in is under major construction, and I opted to not be here with the water shut off).  Sadly being off means I get less steps (ironically). 

@WendyB  I get the fear of horses.  I'm not fearful of them now, but as a child, the family who would babysit me had riding horses.  They thought it was funny to force a 4 y/o onto a massive horse despite protesting it.  I was absolutely terrified because of the size difference.  Nor was I sitting in a saddle; I was propped on the back of the horse behind my babysitter's daughter, and had to hold on to her.  Luckily the horse didn't bolt.  

@benvegi Happy Birthday!  How do you like the Charge 3 so far?  I'm still working off of my One (and hope to continue to do so for several years).  I had looked at the Charge 3, but as long as my current one functions, I see no point in upgrading to a wrist-tracker.  Especially since my poor watch already gets so much abuse catching corners and such. 

Best Answer

8 July

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   7/20

4 days over 15,000 steps                                             1/4           

1 day over 20,000 steps                                                 1/1

Swim 2x per week                                                           2/8              

Dance prac 6 hours a week                                           -/24

6 bike rides or interval walks per month                      2/6            

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     -/3 

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@SteppingBooks  My Goodness. Sorry they did that. That was not right Smiley Frustrated

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@WendyB  It happens.  Now I can't ride for the sake of all my allergies.  Smiley LOL 

Best Answer

July Day 8

Steps: Goal 10,000-11,000 31 days: 8/31

Boxing 31 days: 8/31

Weights DVD 18 days: 5/18

Stomach YouTube 31 days : 8/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups 31 days: 8/31

Leg Exercises 31 days: 8/31

250 Steps per hour 31 days: 8/31

Log food daily 31 days: 8/31

New Bike comes today. Hope to get at least 1 session in Smiley Very Happy

Community Council Member

Best Answer

July Goals - Day 8
10,000 steps: 7/15 days

Scavenger Hunt* Pics: 3/3 pics

I went with two friends on our annual excursion to wherever the sun is shining! Today, with threat of showers all around, we took the train to Lausanne (@ an hour from Bern, 1-1/2 hour from my village) and from there a ship across the Lak Léman (aka Lake Geneva) to Evian-les-Bains. Although not a parade, this city is famous for its natural mineral waters. Here are a few shots, if fitbit will accept the file size!?!
Beautiful architectureBeautiful architectureRuth and EstherRuth and EstherLac Léman and Evian-les-BainsLac Léman and Evian-les-BainsBeautiful museum with impressionists' exhibiton at the moment (must go back!)Beautiful museum with impressionists' exhibiton at the moment (must go back!)Traffic-free shopping and eating in the old cityTraffic-free shopping and eating in the old cityChurch towerChurch towerThe source of the water. People come here and fill their water bottles with fresh (and refreshing) mineral waterThe source of the water. People come here and fill their water bottles with fresh (and refreshing) mineral waterThe most gorgeous petunias I have ever seen.The most gorgeous petunias I have ever seen.
Best Answer