Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitBit not tracking steps correctly

FitBit Flex has been working correctly but in the last two days has been under-tracking steps.  I am using a GPS to track walking distance, real-time, and the FitBit is tracking at about half the correct distance.  Is there a way to reset the Flex to see if it will correct itself?

Best Answer
0 Votes
15 REPLIES 15

Your stride length may not be entered accurately.  I saw a good suggestion here for one way to calibrate, if you have access to a tread mill - set your pace and after a while, count steps for 1/10 of a mile (528 feet) and do the math.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue.  I walked over a mile at the track and it recorded only 687 steps.  Can someone assist on how to adjust settings to see if that is the problem?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@monkgui wrote:

I have the same issue.  I walked over a mile at the track and it recorded only 687 steps.  Can someone assist on how to adjust settings to see if that is the problem?

Well, if you assume it saw all the steps because YOU didn't count them also, then for an actual mile of walking a constant speed.

5280 / 687 = 7.69 feet per stride

So that was easy - it didn't see all the steps obviously, or you are about 16 ft tall.

So good point - accurate stride length is useless if all the steps aren't seen.

Be mighty useful to mention what device and where you wear it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did not use the Fitbit for a week. Charged battery and used but it did not track my steps at all. Any help on why this happened? I have not worn it after that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I find that where I wear it and what I wear affects the accuracy, a loose top for example will add an extra step or 2 however, wearing same top, and using a hand and pushing it against my chest reducing bounce makes it accurate

going to try a lanyard tomorrow

does anyone wear theirs on the side of their waist? going to give that a go, as the bounce is limited
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know I walked 3 miles this AM at a much faster pace than usual.  Shows 55 active minutes but only 2.23 miles.  This is so wrong.....This is also my third fit bit as they keep going belly up on me.  Wonder whats going on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@walkwithcandy wrote:

I know I walked 3 miles this AM at a much faster pace than usual.  Shows 55 active minutes but only 2.23 miles.  This is so wrong.....This is also my third fit bit as they keep going belly up on me.  Wonder whats going on.

Which part of your statements exactly seems so wrong.

The 55 AM?

The 2.23 miles? (based on what actual distance)

Did you set stride length for average walking pace?

If so, you want it more accurate for the other 15 hrs of your day, or the 1 hr of that walk?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@walkwithcandy wrote:

Your stride will be different at different paces. Stride = distance you cover with each step. When I walk briskly I spring forward a little, more the faster I walk and even more if I run. (some people mistakenly believe that stride = length of their legs or inseam).

If you have not done so, you should figure out your average stride per step for walking and running. If you rarely or never run, then use a very brisk walking stride for your running. The most accurate method I have found involves using a running track or correctly measured flat trail or walking path. I wrote a post on my blog about the method I used. You need your fitbit counted steps and the actual distance (ideally not GPS measured since there is a margin or error with phone GPS, but in a pinch it can be a big improvement so may work fine for you). My post: http://www.feelingfit.info/2014/08/how-to-measure-and-calibrate-your-fitbit-stride-settings/

This sounds more like your average stride is set too short than a fitbit going "belly up" issue.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:
I find that where I wear it and what I wear affects the accuracy, a loose top for example will add an extra step or 2 however, wearing same top, and using a hand and pushing it against my chest reducing bounce makes it accurate

going to try a lanyard tomorrow

does anyone wear theirs on the side of their waist? going to give that a go, as the bounce is limited

I would not wear a One or Zip on the wrist. It may over count or under count, but it would be flawed since it is not designed for the wrist. I have used some Fitbit models designed for the wrist, they exclude some movement from your step count. I actually get fewer steps on my wrist worn fitbit over all (though some activities are credited higher than my One, and others lower). However, my One is inclined to overcount when worn on the wrist. I usually wear my One clipped to my bra or my waistbant (or in a coin pocket if wearing jeans). I think it would work well in a lanyard if you wore it inside your top for your most active time. I will be intersted to hear how that goes as I have not tried it. I have tried a necklace that an Etsy seller made  and it seems a little less sensitive but if it errs it errs on the side of undercounting. This makes me think a lanyard might work fine (the necklace is heavy enough that it does not allow bouncing).

Sam | USA

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Oops... I read wrist, but I am leaving my last post up in case some of it is useful. It should be fine on your waist. The only issue I have seen with this placement (for me) is that it picks up more false steps in cars than it does on my bra (but this may depend on bodytype and how supportive the bra is. I tend to splurge on very supportive ones). I can see a loose t-shirt or top could be an issue as I think it moves less on snugger clothing. So you may see fewer false steps on your waistband.

Sam | USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

I walked for 40 minutes yesterday and 30 minutes today. Yesterday very few steps were recorded for the time slot. Today, it shows zero steps for my walk. My computer shows that my flex was syned 5 minutes ago. Also, how do you know when you need to recharge your flex?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Newbie5 wrote:

I walked for 40 minutes yesterday and 30 minutes today. Yesterday very few steps were recorded for the time slot. Today, it shows zero steps for my walk. My computer shows that my flex was syned 5 minutes ago. Also, how do you know when you need to recharge your flex?

Something sounds wrong there. I would try recharging if it has been a while. I have to charge my one about once a week (maybe it can go two, I never notice but I receive an email when it  needs it). I have to recharge my Surge every few days when I use it. I am not sure about the Flex.

Were you walking on a treadmill, pushing a stroller or shopping cart? sometimes with the wrist worn devices if you are holding something like that it does not feel your steps.

Sam | USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

i think im done with the fitbit. it track steps for 2 days and decided not to work for the other days. i now have an idea of how many steps i do in a day. its not worth the stress of wondering if its working or not.  its not working now .

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've replaced mine 3 or 4 times at no charge and a friend has had 3 bad ones. Don't know why this happens. My friend also gave up having hers replaced. I just keep waiting for this one to crap out. Very frustrating indeed. Wish I had an answer for you.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The easiest way to see if your Fitbit tracks all steps is to walk with a metronome for about a half-hour. Then check the display on the site. You can get a metronome app for your phone.

I have both a Zip and a Surge. The Zip counts virtually all steps while walking. The Surge misses maybe 100 steps in six miles. Around the house, the Surge counts more steps. After a week, they are close.

The Surge only counts about half the steps when pushing a cart like a shopping cart. This also throws the GPS off, as it somehow counts steps if the computed distance is far less than the GPS. If measuring the correct distance is important in this situation, use the bicycle mode. 

I wear the Zip clipped to a pocket with the Zip inside. Do not let it hang outside, or eventually, it will fall out and you will lose it.

I like both Fitbits for different purposes. If I had to have just one, I would probably get... both of them. 🙂

http://48statehike.blogspot.com
Best Answer
0 Votes