Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Owners and World of Warcraft

If you play World of Warcraft (it's a multi-player fantasy genre video game for those of you unfamiliar with it), you know how sedentary it can get.  It's hard to find people in the game who understand your health needs.

I have the clock app on my tablet set to ring an alarm every hour so I get up and get my 500 steps for the hour.  Not only does it help me think more clearly to get the blood flowing, but it's a great way for people who's illnesses keep them from doing a lot of exercise to get healthier and lose weight if necessary.  I have CFS/Fibro and tend to exacerbate my symptoms when I try to do weight training or specific exercises so I'm sticking to cardio for now.

World of Warcraft will release their new expansion in August of 2018.  If you'd like to play with people who are progressive minded (gaming society can be a challenge for equality minded people sometimes) and who takes breaks every hour for fitness, please feel free to send me a private message and I'll be happy to share the details.  I walk the length of my apartment 8 times every hour which usually winds up being 500 steps. 

Have a great week!

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Im glad you found something

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

very creative way to get your steps in and stay in the game..

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I used to play Final Fantasy 14 and my goodness that was a sedentary period of my life!  In fact, I was so wrapped up in playing it, I stopped wearing my FitBit altogether for six months.  My steps during the year I played FF14 were paltry, around 3,000-5,000 which was really just basic movement at work for my job and then coming home to walk the dogs and play the game.  

I quit the game early this year, but had pretty much stopped playing it when I chose to focus on fitness and athletics back in November 2017.  I'm feeling so much better, getting more sleep, and have more balance to my life.

I think that's great you have reminders to walk and move, as that is so important.  I just found the MMO world too all-consuming and it really impacted my activity levels.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

What a great idea to get the steps in! I'm a super casual wow player, but tend to go no-life mode at expansions, and this will be the first in six years where I'm not in a degree program... oh man, it will be sick days and vacation weeks! Smiley Very Happy

Because I tend to be casual, it's always hard to find a community of folks who are like-minded--and if there's a few out there who remind me to get up and shake off the blood clots, heck yeah, I'd be interested! 

Be well, and... most importantly-- For the alliance!!  Cat Very Happy

Best Answer

Always For The Alliance!  I'm the same way when it comes to focusing at new program release.  That's why it's so important for me to establish good movement habits when the new xpac releases.  I've worn my shoes down so I won't be doing much until that issue is resolved, but if there's anything that can make you grateful for the freedom to actually exercise it's having mobility problems where having a good pair of shoes can make or break you. 

Anyone who is interested, please let me know and I'll add you as a friend.  Looking forward to the days ahead as I'm in catch-up mode now. 🙂

Best Answer

I play World of Warcraft, and while we might only have 1 break in the evenings when doing group content during 3 hours (3 nights a week), I always take my breaks outside these events. Every Saturday I play together with my friend and I always make him take 10 minute breaks before the end of the hour (when my FitBit move reminder buzzes) so I can get my steps in. Gaming is fun, but like a desk job, one should get up and move every hour ideally. I am on European servers though.

Edit: For the Alliance!

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Glad to hear you're getting your friend to spend a few minutes up and about! 🙂

I find myself additionally getting up and moving any time I use the flight master.  I've found if you push yourself hard enough (meaning your Fitbit is reading the elevated BPM) you can get credit for steps even if you're exercising in place.  I will stand up and move my arms from left to right like a speed ice skater (alternating legs as well). It's been really helpful when the queue for a dungeon is taking way too long. 😉

Best Answer

I don't use flight masters much, but when I do on a lower level alt, I go up and get steps in too. I have an add-on installed that shows me the flight time, so I feel more motivated to actually get up instead of sitting there watching my screen for a few minutes.

Best Answer

I recently started playing Warcraft again after a year or so away from it. For the last 2 months I've done little else, had to grind that rep out to get flight and the allied races. Now I've level 2 of the new allied races to 110 and have 2 to go. My weight has ballooned as I've done little to no exercise. I got back into playing because I have a split ligament and a torn muscle in my ankle from twisting it doing the washing. That has made it next to impossible to walk it also set off a massive and extremely painful gout attack (something I haven't suffered from for years) even just touching my foot with a tissue caused a pain I never want to feel again, but I digress.

My ankle is slowly recovering and I find your method and interesting option to put to the test to get me back to being active again, so thanks for the suggestion.

However as always if I see you in the battlegrounds, I will kill you 😉

Best Answer

Been 8 years since I was last in the battlegrounds. I should get back in there, I had so much fun. I will be easy killing at first though, until I get the hang of it again. In battlegrounds I actually prefer to play horde (don't ask me why).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

My ankle is slowly recovering and I find your method and interesting option to put to the test to get me back to being active again, so thanks for the suggestion.

However as always if I see you in the battlegrounds, I will kill you 😉

As a CFS/Fibro sufferer, I would suggest you look into reliable sources for CBD oil.  I use Bluebird Botanicals because they make no/low THC CBD oil.  Thousands of Fibro sufferers all over the world use it to keep off or get off the opioids doctors have pushed for centuries that devastate their bodies.  My doctor wanted me to start taking them every day because the stress on my body from being in such severe pain was starting to affect my heart.  I couldn't find a pharmacy who would fill the prescription so I researched another way to address the pain issue.  Two months later I was able to do steps in my home that let to much better fitness. 

A little history - as late as the 1930s CBD oil was widely used as a household cure all until greater corporations found a way to get rid of the hemp industry by getting the government to identify it as a narcotic.  The truth is hemp is a much stronger material and was used for paper products, fabrics, shoes, building materials and is now used in nanomaterials and  3D printing.  It's also being used for children with severe seizure problems, Alzheimer's patients and Fibro patients all over the world with amazing results not just in pain management, but helping to clear away a bit of the brain fog which is probably one of the biggest problems CFS/Fibro sufferers face.  This is why I embraced sublingual no/low CBD oil for my pain management.  I also have anxiety factors, so it's imperative I not use an oil with THC which is the property in marijuana that gets people high.  I was amazed at the different health benefits that came from something so simple, weight loss being completely unexpected.  Just be sure you get it from a reliable company that uses the pure form.  Synthesized or poorly managed formulas are dicey in regards to results.  I did a lot of research into the studies that had been done and talked to people that were dealing with the same health problems I was before I decided to use it.

And yes, that's why I NEVER go into PvP areas. LOL!  I am the worst PvPer ever.  I expect you've got your macros set to take over the world. 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya wrote:

Been 8 years since I was last in the battlegrounds. I should get back in there, I had so much fun. I will be easy killing at first though, until I get the hang of it again. In battlegrounds I actually prefer to play horde (don't ask me why).

Horde players on our servers RULE the entire server when it comes to PvP.  Trying to get achievements that require a PvP component are almost impossible. Horde characters just seem built for it. LOL!

Best Answer

I love this idea.  Very creative and aligned with something I've been wanting to do for years.  Kudos for starting a thread here - perfect. First post here but had to write. 

Best Answer

I can't wait until I get new shoes so I can get back to it.  I found recently that sneakers and mid-afternoon Florida pavement are not a good match. LOL!

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's a good strategy! 

This happens to me a lot, I'll be playing on the console and don't notice just how fast time goes by, so by the time I check my watch I realize it's been 3 hours or more! 

Learning to use the alarm feature for something like this is a great way to use technology to help us reach our goals, and getting to 500 steps for the hour is totally possible! 😎

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fair enough, it can get pretty boring, especially when you and your friends have to work and can t fix your schedules to play together and end up alone haha. I mean even with friends you need to spice it up a bit, to mix it, cause it's easy to get bored of doing the same stuff over and over again. Me and my few friends sometimes get add-ons from here https://www.wikiwax.com/best-wow-addons/ other times we search for cheats to have a bit of fun. Anyway we keep changing and rotating the games we play cause it's about relaxation, not trying to tolerate a game for as long as you can. We're just back on wow again after a pause of a few months and it's really fun so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community forums @abragred

Yeah that can happen very often 😅, it's very difficult to fix everyone's schedules to play together, a lot more than one would imagine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Honestly yeah, if you don't have a group of freinds that you can play with it can get pretty sedentary.

Best Answer

Very true @DrMay322, it's a lot easier if you have a group of friends; it happens a lot of "Among US" and other multiplayer games. 

That's why I often purchase single player games for any console, it's just practical 😆, but multiplayer is more fun. 

Best Answer
0 Votes