Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ganglion Cysts

ANSWERED

After researching how to wear my Fitbit Charger HR it clearly stated to place it 2-3 fingers above my wrist joint where the blood flow is greater.  This places it more than 1 inch away from my wrist joint caudal to the ulnar stylus( or boney bump on the little finger side of my wrist.)  If the placement of similar fitbit models is similar, then the Fitbit is no where near the wrist joint and capsule.  Someone mentioned doing some home remodeling which requires frequent bending and extending the wrist joint or repetitive trauma.  If the lump only appears on the wrist wearing the Fitbit and goes away when it's removed is it a coincidence or something else?  I can see no anatomical relationship between the Fitbit device and the wrist joint capsule.  I can only suggest that if the individual is shaking their wrist in an attempt to create more steps, that would account for the repetitive trauma that is suggested as an attributing factor in the formation of the cyst.  I'm not saying that is the case, but if the Fitbit device is worn properly, it is at least over 1 inch away from the wrist joint capsule.  I leave any and all conclusions with the reader.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Ganglion cysts are most often found at the top of the wrist joint.  It is usually filled with synovial fluid caused by a flaw in the wrist joint capsule.  These cysts are more common in women, and 70% occur in people aged 20-40.  Although the cause is unknown, the most common theory is these cysts are caused by acute or repetitive trauma.  This trauma causes the tissue around the wrist joint to break down causing fluid to leak out causing a cyst.  Many cysts disappear without any treatment, or can come and go without any discernible reason.  Treatments include draining the cyst, injections with cortisone, which only treats the symptoms without addressing the problem.  Surgery is the final option, but even with surgery there is a 30% chance that the cyst may come back.  If the cyst is not causing a lot of pain, which usually occurs with repeated wrist flexion, or interfering in your daily life, it might be best to leave it alone because it may just go away.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Ganglion cysts are most often found at the top of the wrist joint.  It is usually filled with synovial fluid caused by a flaw in the wrist joint capsule.  These cysts are more common in women, and 70% occur in people aged 20-40.  Although the cause is unknown, the most common theory is these cysts are caused by acute or repetitive trauma.  This trauma causes the tissue around the wrist joint to break down causing fluid to leak out causing a cyst.  Many cysts disappear without any treatment, or can come and go without any discernible reason.  Treatments include draining the cyst, injections with cortisone, which only treats the symptoms without addressing the problem.  Surgery is the final option, but even with surgery there is a 30% chance that the cyst may come back.  If the cyst is not causing a lot of pain, which usually occurs with repeated wrist flexion, or interfering in your daily life, it might be best to leave it alone because it may just go away.

Best Answer

hey @Corney is this in reply to a post or information? I agree with you that directions should be read and adhered to when using any device and nowhere does it state to shake ones wrist to create steps... I think for whatever reasons people fool themselves believing they are fooling others.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Actually when I was getting my degree in piano performance, I noticed a lot of fellow students had ganglion cysts in their hands.  I noticed most of them were not using good body mechanics when playing. I have played up to 6 hours a day when I was playing professionally and never had this problem. The odd thing is I have had two ganglion cysts removed from my scalp. The surgeon says these cysts have nothing to do with repetitive motion. I guess the jury is still out 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well Medicine is not an exact science it is an art. Obviously there is no
repetitive motion in the scalp or joint capsules, unless you were hit on
the head, I have no answer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a cyst in my left wrist joint. It appeared after pushing my wrist too hard.

From 0 exercise i started planks and burpees and push-ups. And the pain started and i ignored it.

I realized later if you don't let your wrist recover and you keep pushing, it only gets worse and worse. Till the point you can't even hold a glass of water - empty one!.. That happened to me last year. The cyst was also very obvious at that point, like a huge bump on top of my wrist.

Then i stopped exercising for months and the problem was gone (which was funny cause i didn't know it can go away by itself.. since the doctor i went (who told me it was gaglion cyst) said my options were sucking the fluid or surgery.)

Now a month ago i started exercising again... from day 1 my wrist started acting up again. Then i remembered what i went through and decided to take it really slow.. like i didn't do exercises that involved my wrist needing to support my weight. Then i started some modified push-ups and with strength training (upper body with dumbbells) my wrists slowly got stronger and i don't have much pain. I manage to hold a plank. So now i just push only to the point my wrist lets me push and taking it slow.

There is no visible bump atm, but every time i do something strenuous like some weird/fast movement or carrying a lot of grocery i can feel the sting.

My point is i don't thing the band has to do anything with the cyst. Probably over-stressing the wrist from exercise or moving or whatever.

It was a coincidence and it probably happens on the weakest wrist (left usually)

Best Answer
0 Votes
oll_Gi: If you re-read my posts on ganglion cysts you have proved my
point. Surgeons always like to heal with steel, inject, drain or surgery.
Why, money. Cysts are caused by acute or repeated trauma, if the trauma
goes away, in most cases the cyst goes away. Anyone who claims wearing a
Fitbit caused their cyst is spouting hyperbole.
Best Answer

I never had ganglion cyst until i started wearing fitbit. I took it off at night.  But the tissue area under fitbit got very tender and a few weeks later a bump formed and then it got larger. So, sadly, I stopped wearing fitbit. Now it has healed and is gone. So i will try again to wear it further up my forearm and see if that causes no tenderness or cyst.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nonstopbegonia: Ganglion Cysts are caused by leaking of synovial
fluid from a joint or tendon sheath. They occur spontaneously and go away
spontaneously. MY question to you is; what is it about your Fitbit that
has caused the synovial fluid to leak out from your wrist joint or tendon
sheath? Please be specific!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Something similar happened to me about two weeks ago. I am not a doctor, but I believe it's a ganglion cyst. I lift regularly and have never experienced this until getting my Fitbit. 

I wear mine further up my forearm because I thought it would have less of an impediment on my wrist and prevent injury. So mine is further up my forearm. 

I just switched it to my other arm and will be seeing a DO in the coming weeks about it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

RushRE:  May I suggest you ask your DO to explain how wearing your Fitbit could cause synovial fluid to leak from your Wrist joint or a Synovial sheath in order to cause a Ganglion Cyst?  You should also read my post of 11/14/2017 which provides an extensive explanation of Ganglion Cysts.  have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi guys! This is a very difficult topic, because activity can cause the ganglion cyst to get larger, it may help to temporarily immobilize the area with a brace. Although rare, it can be painful if it presses a nerve. In a few cases, the cyst can interfere with joint movement. I think it's best to check with a doctor before putting your Fitbit on your wrist to make sure what is the best decision in your case. I hope you can use your Fitbit and get well soon! Thank you for sharing those tips @Corney🤗

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It is insane to blame a Fitbit on the cause of a Ganglion Cyst!!! it's
time to put this and other conspiracy theories to rest!!!!!!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I do know after purchasing and actively wearing my Fitbit I got what started as a small bump but later grew to a large knot on my wrist. I have no other choice but believe it was the FITBIT that caused it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well JFitzgerald, you are a conspiracy theorist. A ganglion cyst occurs
when synovial fluid leaks out of a synovial wrist joint, or from a synovial
sheath surrounding a tendon. They occur spontaneously and disappear
spontaneously. I am a retired Physical Therapist with 38 years experience,
working from 1974 till 2012. I had dozens of clients before the arrival of
the Fitbit present with ganglions cysts.. May I suggest do some research
on the internet prior to blaming the poor defenseless fitbit!
Best Answer
0 Votes