Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Moving With My Dog

ANSWERED

This previous year (2016) I managed to be much more active and make beter choices a good part of the year (didn't always eat well), so I started losing weight very slowly, but more importantly never gained more than 2 pounds at a time... which meant I was managing my weight. I lost a total of 24 pounds without a need to go to the gym, which I hate.

Getting a dog helped a lot, as walking her every morning (which now requires me to walk at least 15-30 minutes evey morning if I expect to give my dog a good foundation of exercise in the morning as she needs a lot of it. I stared losing more weight with her. I even went to this once a month walk in different ecological sites in my country (PR) for people and their dogs. I really like this, as it kills two birds with one stone: both my dog and I exercise, and I get to visit towns I haven't seen. 

However, I was wondering if anyone wants to share how they get active or even exercise with their dogs. I don't see myself running (althogh I sometimes jog part of her walk cuz she loves running). I sometimes take her to the dog park, but I don't exercise much there (it's mostly for her socialization).

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If your dog knows how to fetch, you can get an object (like a dog toy), and run/jog/brisk walk to a location with it, then ask the dog to perform a command (sit, lie down, etc) and reward the dog by giving the object. Then jog/run/brisk walk to another location and call the dog to you - the dog will usually follow you (with the object). Repeat. This is also good inside the house (if weather is disagreeable) - just brisk walk to another area of the house with the object and have the dog follow - it's like "active fetch & follow"

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Congrats on your loss thats awesome!

This sounds like a lot of fun

"month walk in different ecological sites"

Sounds like toy enjoyed it so I would keep going to it.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I don't have a dog, but I have seen folks playing with their dogs. Running with them so they can chase the stick, or throwing a ball and walking or running part of the way with the dog- frisbee- stuff like that. Even little dogs will fetch as long as its a small enough item...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

If your dog knows how to fetch, you can get an object (like a dog toy), and run/jog/brisk walk to a location with it, then ask the dog to perform a command (sit, lie down, etc) and reward the dog by giving the object. Then jog/run/brisk walk to another location and call the dog to you - the dog will usually follow you (with the object). Repeat. This is also good inside the house (if weather is disagreeable) - just brisk walk to another area of the house with the object and have the dog follow - it's like "active fetch & follow"

Best Answer

@DLynae wrote:

That sounds like a good way to keep my heart beat up while playing with her!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm trying to keep active each day and having a routine each day.  The things I eat, keeping up with exercise and more.  If I keep to the routine and pick up more steps I think I'll be ok

Best Answer

Keep up the good work, sounds a lot but you have achieved so much - all the best

Best Answer

@WendyB wrote:

Congrats on your loss thats awesome!

This sounds like a lot of fun

"month walk in different ecological sites"

Sounds like toy enjoyed it so I would keep going to it.

It is interesting, I hope I can afford to go every month (certain months I may not have the money to pay for the activity on top of the gas and tolls to visit the areas they do it in, and am not interested in the ones they'd do nearby, I like it being a road trip). If you read spanish, this is their website: http://www.ecoaventurascaninas.com/fechas-y-excursiones.html

Maybe they have a similar company in your area!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have two dogs, one of whom is well trained. The other is an absolute idiot! The silly dog, I just take for a walk in the park and practice his lead training. It's a workout in itself keeping him under control because he pulls and dances around and just wants to run off and play.

I've recently started running and now my better behaved dog comes with me for that. She is an absolute delight to run with, trots neatly at my side and she gets so excited when she sees me getting ready to run. Never would have thought I would get into running but she makes it a lot more enjoyable!

Best Answer

After I was given a Jack Russell terrier, my life completely changed. Every morning we walk for about an hour, thanks to this I was able to lose about 5 kilograms in 2 months. In addition, we play very often. I recently ordered a Duck Plush Stuffed Squeaky Rope Toy that my Jessie is ready to play with all day. Therefore, if you want to lose a couple of extra pounds without much effort, I advise you to buy a dog or just pick it up from a shelter. I assure you your life will change for the better!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@seanslater Jack Russell terries are so cute and intelligent dogs. I wish I had one. I'm sad because my last buddy was a German Shepherd but we had to give him away to a farm owner since the place I live is too small for him. He was my running buddy.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suppose it might be an interesting experience. It is important to have your dog's documents, and yours prepared and made.

Best Answer
0 Votes