Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting steps in while staying safe

Hi Everyone! During these difficult times, I’m looking for creative ways to get my steps in without going to the gym or Mall. My house is not big enough to get all my steps in while walking around. And it’s still too cold or rainy many days here in Michigan to just go outside. Although I may just have to put on appropriate clothing and make it happen. 

What are your ideas?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @SunsetRunner ,  yes it can be difficult to get steps in when it’s cold, rainy, windy, dark, etc.  but bundling up and getting outside is great for the body and psyche.  I live in Colorado and try to get out most days, even when in the single digits.  Dress in layers and once you get moving you warm up.  I know our weather is much milder than in Michigan, with the humidity, wind and lake effect snow, but if you can dress for conditions you may find that you actually enjoy being out in ‘rougher’ weather.  It can be surreal to walk along and actually hear the snow fall. Put on your coat, hat and gloves, err on the side of warm so you have no excuses to turn back because you’re cold.

But when I just can’t get out I run back and forth in my 1600 sq ft house if no one is home, or ‘dance’ (term used loosely) in the kitchen.  It may not be pretty and the dog thinks I’ve lost my mind, but it works in a pinch.

anything that gets you moving is better than not moving.  Up and down the stairs to do laundry, bring groceries in one bag at a time, pace the house while on the phone.  You will be surprised how it adds up and you find ‘opportunities’ to get steps. 

Best Answer

Bundle up.

Walk around the block. Find a park near by. Take an umbrella.

I walk outside everyday. The only thing that stops me is pouring down rain that blows in my face.

If you dont want to go outside. Go to Youtube and look up Leslie Sansone. She has many Walking DVD's you can do indoors

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

A friend mentioned s/he runs up and down the stairs. My oldest granddaughter, who is home from the University because they sent everyone home and all classes are now online only, pulled out one of the old gaming units and is now vigorously dancing once a day. My DIL actually found her old Jane Fonda exercise video. Of course now she it looking to see if they still have a VCR player. 😉

Best Answer

I am lucky that I have a treadmill in my home, so I use that.

But I am also still going into work, so I'm walking outside when I can if the weather isn't bad.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I too am lucky enough to have a treadmill. But that is a recent purchase and before it came, I was bundled up like the kid from the Christmas story walking miles in the neighborhood to get a jump start on my day. When the weather is OK, I go outside now too. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer