Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery stores and not getting steps....

Hi Y’all!

what do you do when you go to the grocery store and have to push the cart and your arm isn’t moving to count steps?  I walked all over two grocery stores today and barely got 150 steps because I was holding on to the handle to push the cart. Lol. Is there another way I should wear it to get steps counted?

Thank you!!

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Put your device in your pocket. 

Best Answer

Ha. I have no pockets. Oh well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, it annoys me too. I've been known to push the cart with one hand so I can freely swing the arm with the Fitbit. On the other hand, it does count steps when I mow, even though that's essentially the same thing. Though it seems to think the mower is an "outdoor bike."

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit One, which I wear on my bra.  I'm not looking forward to the day when it dies, because I don't want to wear anything on my wrist (itchy).  It's disappointing to hear that it only counts steps when you swing your arms.  What if you're carrying stuff?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Carrying stuff doesn't seem to bother it. What does bother it is anything that keeps your arm from a normal movement while walking, like pushing a stroller or a grocery cart. Most times, it's  not a problem.

Best Answer

You could try a belt loop, ankle, purse if you carry it on you and not on the cart. I usually get steps when I walk to the pool and leave my fitbit in my bag.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I park the cart and bring the groceries to it. It also makes things faster since I don't have to maneuver the cart around other carts in crowded aisles. I park it in a spot that won't bother anyone and then do the next two aisles. I keep going until I am done. The only aisle it is bothersome in is the frozen food aisle. veggies and ice cream are really cold to carry. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I noticed this same problem.  I usually don't have pockets, so I just tuck my charge 2 into the waistband of my leggings.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you're carrying a bag, your arm will still swing as normal, and therefore your device will count steps. Also, when I'm in a grocery store, I carry a basket instead of a cart, but then I live in a city and don't have a car, so I walk or bus to get groceries.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If the 1-1.5K steps is going to make or break your day, then you aren't doing it right.

Best Answer

When I'm out of the house, I usually wear a traditional watch instead of my FitBit, so if I have pockets, I put my FitBit in my jeans pocket and it picks up all my steps.  It's actually amazing because I don't feel like my left arm constantly has to be swinging while I'm out shopping.  If I'm wearing my FitBit, I push the cart one-handed!

Like others said, you could try an ankle strap perhaps?  Put it in your socks?  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go to the grocery store, I pull the buggy from the side with my right hand (FitBit is on my left wrist) and I get credit for the steps. I realize this makes me look like a tool; don't care. I NEED FITBIT AFFIRMATION!

Best Answer

That’s not fair at all.  There are people with health issues or just starting out in their fitness journey who struggle to get to 5k steps a day, so missing out on logging 20% of the day’s goal is very frustrating and can be demotivating.  

Best Answer

My post is in reply to mukluk4, btw.

Best Answer

Put your fitbit in your pocket and it should work.

Best Answer
0 Votes