Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Workout Advice

I’m thinking of trying to buy some stuff to do various workouts at home. Right now, I have a medium weight resistance band and balance board sitting in a shopping cart from Sports Authority. I was wondering if some of you all had suggestions for other things to buy that would be helpful. 

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

What helps me but drives my family crazy is for some light cardio and extra steps I walk laps around the house. Depending on how intese I walk, the faster my heart rate is and the more I sweat. Plus the best thing besides the cost of your fitbit is this exercise is free. Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer

Youtube is your friend! You can search for tons of videos to help you start an at-home work out program that don't cost a dime. I recently got into yoga so I love watching the youtuber "Yoga with Adriene". She's got several videos for beginners too. 

I bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for 10 bucks at walmart but it's hard.. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are in the USA, then try looking on Craigslist for exercise equipment. I got a weight bench, a pull-up bar and adjustable dumbells for a fraction of their store cost that way.

Best Answer

I watch Zumba videos on youtube and bought Zumba for Wii Cat Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only gear I would buy would be one of those Soloflex type units. But they almost require a room of their own given the size. But ideal for strength training every body part. My job requires enough lifting that I get a full workout daily. I'm good with just my Flex and MP3 player.

Best Answer

honestly what you have is a great start, maybe just get really creative with those. I was stunned by some of the great ways using a band helped improve my back, shoulders, and abs. You don't actually need much stuff to work out well anyway. I second the youtube comments. you can find a lot of great conditioning things using body weight on there. I have a wish list of more expensive items which I think anyone could benefit from, but it's a wishlist because most of it is beyond the basic level I'm working at.

is a balance board like a bosu?

I have wanted a bosu for THE longest time. I am jealous if you're getting a bosu. lunges, pushups, and stability work on those is the best.

also a TRX thing. I got to use one when doing rehab/personal training on my shoulder (and then just improving fitness) would love to have one of those. I really liked using one it was great for functional strength.

GOOD kettlebells, ones with a handle big enough to hold two handed.

a good bar with some disc weights.

a quality jump rope

a cloth ladder to lay on the ground to do agility work with

a weight belt - and a wheelbarrow shell (to pull heavy stuff)

and the cheap stuff I have that I love

a swiss ball/balance ball

free weights, big ones too. (5, 8, 10, 15, 18)

resistance sheet-things (not quite bands)

an aerobic step, adjustable height

pull up bar (I can dream)

a sort of cheap weight bar (it still makes sure my deadlift form is good and other things)

Best Answer
I live in a small ranch condo with very little room for a lot of large equipment. With that in mind, I've invested in three different sets of dumbbells in varying weights, two kettlebells in different weights, an aerobic step, a weighted exercise ball, a medicine ball, and a stability ball. All can be easily stashed when not in use and the variety of exercises they allow me to do at home gives me a great full body workout.
Best Answer

Assuming you don't have unlimited space and funds, exercise bands really are a great way to get started.  Eventually you'll probably want more, but by then you'll have a better idea of what you need.

If I had a bit more to spend, I might go with variable weight dumbells or maybe wrist/ankle weights in a few sizes.  To be honest, you can also use things like gallon water jugs and various heavy things around your house if money is really tight.

A nice place for cardio videos is YouTube, believe it or not.  Find someone you like that has some good reviews and they'll probably have more than enough to keep you busy.  I personally follow FitnessBlender.  The ones I've watched so far have interval training with a timer you can see, and there is a bar on the side that tells you how much workout is left.

But as far as spending money - a little kind of gets you in the mood and looking forward to using your new stuff.  But I would hold off anything big until you really know what you want and need.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

I would definetly suggest looing on the internet, especially youtube. You can find some amazing workout videos for things such as a step class, zumba, pilates, yoga and the best part is that it is free!

sometime I even just look up a good song and dance to it like an idiot, burns calories and gets my steps up!

Best Answer

Burpees

Situps

Pressups

Pullups

Air Squats

Don't really need any equipment but a kettlebell is cheap which you could add some overhead pressing with as well as kettlebell workouts.

Best Answer

I also recommend youtube. Especially Jessica Smith TV. She has several "walking workouts" that are similar to Leslie Sansone's Walk Off the Pounds series, but a little more ramped up. More upper body and toning action with the Jessica Smith workouts while still getting steps.

Best Answer

I also say check youtube. There are so many great exercise videos from HasFit to fitness blender that target diffrent areas of the body.

Best Answer

free weights, jump rope, and exercise ball will get you very very far

Best Answer
I have been using the FitStar app, that links to your Fitbit. The workouts that are free are short, but intense, and so far, no extra equipment. I have adopted a few moves I have learned into other routines, and it feel pretty personalized. The app is free, and it would be a nice little kick a couple of times a week!
Best Answer

Also Leslie Sansone on youtube does walking at home workouts. Good resource is the weather outside is unfavorable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCe3ZS7pAC4

Also check out Blogilates on youtube. Fantastic variety of short effective workouts. Be sure to fit in stretching 🙂

Best Answer

I definitely recommend Fitness Blender! You don't need equipment other than dumbells (or a resistance band) and it's totally free. And the community is awesome! There's also a calendar on their website so you can plan stuff out in advance, which is nice.

Best Answer

I'm loving FitStar!  There's an iOS app (no Android yet), or you can use the web version from a computer.  I use an Apple TV box to watch it on my TV from my iPhone.

I think I paid $30 for a yearly subscription, however, there is a free version as well.  

Also, it links with Fitbit so it automatically records your workout in the activity log.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvg2pHgo3cw

Best Answer

Excellent thread for those who don't have time to go to the gym or practice a sport 😄

I have a pair of weights at house and I've realized that you can do several exercises,watching videos is so usefull so there's no excuse to not exercising. 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Hi @Krystyne - I too love FitStar, which incidentally was acquired by Fitbit Inc. earlier this year.

Upon learning of Fitbit's acquisition, I thought that they would see fit (pun intended) to incorporate some of FitStar's programs beef up the Premium offering at here at fitbit.com. It's still relatively new, but I do hope to eventually see the potential synergies between these two health and fitness frontrunners come to fruition.

This acquisition was indeed a well-thought out stategically-motivated move on Fitbit's part, so I am confident that Fitbit will want to get the most of it. 

TW

Best Answer