Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I stay consistent with my workouts (:

ANSWERED
Hey everyone! Staying consistent can be difficult, but not impossible! Here's a few tips that help me & hopefully they will help you!!

1. Find a time. That's your "exercise time". Even if it's 10 minutes (:
2. Bring family or friends that will join you during your workouts. Sometimes it's better when you workout with someone else. Makes the activities more fun!
3. Buy clothing or shoes ONLY to workout so you'll look forward to wearing them. I love getting colorful printed pants. I look forward to wearing them cause they look great on me haha. But I use them only when I workout (:
4. Bring an mp3 & fill it up with your favorite upbeat music. That really does motivate when when I gotta do an extra set of abs!
5. This one is my favorite one. Change up the workout. Do something different. Go somewhere different. Sometimes the same routine might get boring. Try something new. I love trying new things even if they look hard (:

Those are my favorite tips that help me. Hope I helped you. Continue working out hard & make sure you drink plenty of water.
Best Answer
7 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

All great tips!

Is what I do as well

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Read this many years ago and it is still as true today as it was then.

Your body can't differentiate between stressors. Stress is like water from hundreds of taps flowing into a bathtub. Financial stress, relationships, health, and training stress are all different taps. When all the other taps are flowing full blast, turn down the training tap a little bit so your tub doesn't overflow - Alwyn Cosgrove

Best Answer

This will hopefully help me. My body is pretty shot from playing sports for so long and can only take the same thing so much, I hope I can use your tips to help me get myself in shape and get to the size I want before trying to buy those fun clothes.

Best Answer

Another thing to remember is that while ideally you want to exercise every day there will be some days when perhaps you don't have time, you're sick, you hurt yourself in some way, you really want to binge watch "Orange is the New Black"...and that is okay.

I think some people give up on FitBit and being active in general when they have a slacker day and instead of being positive and thinking " Okay yesterday I didn't get so many steps so today I'll pick up the pace" they think " Yesterday I only made X number of steps, I am so lazy, and even now I feel tired and I think it's going to rain out there and I feel so fat and...".

See how negative self talk can mess you up? We judge ourselves too harshly sometimes, be positive!

Best Answer

Thanks for the consistent tips!! I always said if I can stay consistent and motivated for at least a month then 2 or 3 months would follow. My goal is to lose 15lbs and that's not a lot, my issue is taking the time daily to get my workout in! I hate the feeling of being fat around the waist and having love handles. I just started back working out today and it felt so good afterwards. My wife and I went, it is so motivating when someone else works out with you. This will begin my journey of changing the way I do things so I can get the results I want.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Couldn't agree more Evelyn....  my motto has always been "consistency over time equals success!" in anything I do...    I also find that being determined to be just bit better than I was yesterday also helps to drive me to the next level ... happy fitbitting!

Best Answer

My BFF lives in Vegas and I'm in Ca and we keep each other motivated by our step challenges. We started in May and we have both gone from being sedentary to being active. When we started I had about 3 months head start on her but she still beat me in step count that first month by 22k steps. I sent her a motivational prize to keep up the good work...being I have a competative nature I was not going to be out done. My average daily step count prior to May had only been about 8k a day. Well in June I beat her by 44k and for July I beat her by almost 76k and my daily average has climbed to 10,500k daily steps.... so yeah having someing that can challenge you is AWESOME... so proud of her she's lost 6 lbs... I sadly have lost nothing but being diabetic makes things challenging.... but I'll get there. 

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

All great tips!

Is what I do as well

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Read this many years ago and it is still as true today as it was then.

Your body can't differentiate between stressors. Stress is like water from hundreds of taps flowing into a bathtub. Financial stress, relationships, health, and training stress are all different taps. When all the other taps are flowing full blast, turn down the training tap a little bit so your tub doesn't overflow - Alwyn Cosgrove

Best Answer
@backlash79 Great insight! (:
Best Answer

This will hopefully help me. My body is pretty shot from playing sports for so long and can only take the same thing so much, I hope I can use your tips to help me get myself in shape and get to the size I want before trying to buy those fun clothes.

Best Answer
@vblinz15 I hope these tips work for you girl. Find things that work for you. Every body is different & I believe you can get to the size you want. I wish you luck (:
Best Answer
0 Votes

Another thing to remember is that while ideally you want to exercise every day there will be some days when perhaps you don't have time, you're sick, you hurt yourself in some way, you really want to binge watch "Orange is the New Black"...and that is okay.

I think some people give up on FitBit and being active in general when they have a slacker day and instead of being positive and thinking " Okay yesterday I didn't get so many steps so today I'll pick up the pace" they think " Yesterday I only made X number of steps, I am so lazy, and even now I feel tired and I think it's going to rain out there and I feel so fat and...".

See how negative self talk can mess you up? We judge ourselves too harshly sometimes, be positive!

Best Answer
@loveabull I totally agree with you. Life gets in the way & sometimes we won't have any time. We might even get injured & that's ok. I agree with you. (: Right now, my legs are so sore still. Come Monday I will start working out again. Just gotta listen to your body & do whatever works for you, too (:
Best Answer

Thanks for the consistent tips!! I always said if I can stay consistent and motivated for at least a month then 2 or 3 months would follow. My goal is to lose 15lbs and that's not a lot, my issue is taking the time daily to get my workout in! I hate the feeling of being fat around the waist and having love handles. I just started back working out today and it felt so good afterwards. My wife and I went, it is so motivating when someone else works out with you. This will begin my journey of changing the way I do things so I can get the results I want.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck to you & your wife. Staying consistent is the key. I try to add my 10,000 steps a day even if I'm super busy. (: I also enjoy working out with others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Couldn't agree more Evelyn....  my motto has always been "consistency over time equals success!" in anything I do...    I also find that being determined to be just bit better than I was yesterday also helps to drive me to the next level ... happy fitbitting!

Best Answer

My BFF lives in Vegas and I'm in Ca and we keep each other motivated by our step challenges. We started in May and we have both gone from being sedentary to being active. When we started I had about 3 months head start on her but she still beat me in step count that first month by 22k steps. I sent her a motivational prize to keep up the good work...being I have a competative nature I was not going to be out done. My average daily step count prior to May had only been about 8k a day. Well in June I beat her by 44k and for July I beat her by almost 76k and my daily average has climbed to 10,500k daily steps.... so yeah having someing that can challenge you is AWESOME... so proud of her she's lost 6 lbs... I sadly have lost nothing but being diabetic makes things challenging.... but I'll get there. 

Best Answer

@Cherie4e Nice work!! You go girl! Keep going!! (:

Best Answer

@Evelyn071392

Thanks so much... I can use all the encouragment I can get LOL 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yea!   Keep up the great work and remember my other motto... "any steps today are better than no steps today because no steps today means you are pushing up daisies!" so lets keep going foward together!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Wanch

LOL ....now THATS a true and great motto.... Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all,

I guess what I am about to say has been said many before, but I wanted to highlight the power it had for me and can have for you too.

See everyday as an opportunity, another day that you have to do anything you want to do. Yes, there are a number of personal and social constraints that may lead an individual into a particular type of behaviour or action, but for many the understanding that what YOU CHOOSE to do regardless of the constraints faced is entirely up to you.

I missed a walking session I had scheduled, so I found this everyday as an opportunity and just went out and walked at 11pm (Now not sensible for everyone depending on who you are and where you live), just take the point that if your busy one day, week, or month, just carry on when you can and feel nothing other than "Hey! You know regardless of the sessions I have missed, I am out here doing it now".

Best Answer
0 Votes

The day after I turned 70, I woke up and committed to walk at least 30 minutes EVERY day for the REST OF MY LIFE.  That day, as I was walking my 30 minutes, I thought, "What will happen if I miss a day?"  Knowing me, I would consider that a failure and jeopardize my future committment.  So I changed that committment to "I will commit each morning to walk at least 30 minutes THAT day."  Now if I miss a day, for whatever reason, I was committed to walk that day.  It just didn't happen.  In 6 months, I have missed 8 days, 5 of those were while I was on vacation.  I have lost 45 pounds and feel better than I have felt in 20 years!!

If this ol' bald-headed fart can do it, I know that you can too

Moderator edit: Format.

Best Answer
0 Votes