Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people walk/jog/run in the street instead of the sidewalk?

Just curious.  I'm not a runner, but I walk everyday, and I always use the sidewalk.  But I see a lot of people walking/running in the street, and I just don't get it.

We have beautiful sidewalks in my neighborhood, so it can't be that people are worried about tripping over a crack.  So what gives?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
22 REPLIES 22

I preferr the stree, Bike lane, the sidwalk driveways weaken my ankel with the unlevel parts, people that walk their dogs and let them relive themselves on the sidewalk and do not pick up the mess, really annoy me as I have to watch that I do not step in a land mine. Also the damageg sidewalks due to tree roots. If it is a busy street, I will use the side walk and just use care. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Krystyne

Some neighborhoods have regulations against it. People are not allowed to ride their bikes inn the sidewalks in ours.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I run in the streets, against traffic, in a quiet suburb. The sad thing... With so many driveways, I have been in more near misses when I was on a sidewalk. People would just pull in and out of driveways and never even glance at me, inches from their wheels. Being in the street helps drivers notice you more. My love of bright neon workout clothes from Old Navy that the eighties threw up on, helps, too. And as mentioned--I agree, you are much more likely to hurt yourself on uneven pavement of a sidewalk. My preferred medium is grass, easier on the joints.
Best Answer

I'm older and we live urban/suburban. I'll walk in the street when I know the sidewalks are bad on a particular block, don't want to risk falling. Also people get spooked by my dogs sometimes so the street is easier, we go by and let them go by, no problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will walk in the streets in my neighborhood pretty often, mostly because I work graveyard shifts and the streets are usually deserted and I usually upset fewer neighborhood dogs this way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I see it as well and don't understand it.  I only run in the street when the sidewalks are bad or non-existent.  The streets around me are sloped enough that if I run in the street all the time it causes pain since I either run with one foot always a bit higher than the other or I have to switch and run with traffic (which I don't want to do).  For me it is sidewalks and trails whenever possible. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I run and walk on the sidewalk unless it's occupied by someone with an untrained dog.  Then I'll give them wide berth, which often involves stepping into the street (after a quick look, obviously).

But I do know some people prefer asphalt over concrete because it's a little bit softer.  And if you're in a suburban area with houses that are close together, then it almost feels like there are more sections with sloping driveways than flat sidewalk, and that can actually cause injury over time.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sure some of the runners are doing it because they've been told the myth of asphalt being softer than concrete. I hope walkers aren't going for the same myth just walking.

Same type of myth that muscle weighs more than fat. Well, for equal volume yes.

And equal thickness asphalt is a tad softer at higher impacts over wider area.

But a sidewalk is what, 2 inches thick concrete at most, and street is 6 inches thick ashalt with many times a concrete base anyway? Numbers may vary by where you live.

So not equal thickness anyway.

And the impact point at first landing is what, couple inches square.

And impact is likely not that high, unless at a weight where you likely won't be running that long anyway.

But I agree above about bad sidewalks and tripping hazards when running, cars backing up.

But only on back residential streets where it really doesn't matter much when traffic is down anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly.

I don't go far enough for the softness to matter, assuming there even is a difference to begin with.

My biggest issue is the sloping driveways, and since the driveways are short where I live, the slope includes the sidewalk.  But that's really only in residential areas, and the streets are nowhere near as crowded as the areas where the sidewalks are flat.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

In addition to the above, aspalt is actually softer than concrete, so often people with joint issues run in the street to try and save their joints a bit.  Of course, running in the grass is even better for one's joints, but that's obviously more difficult and uneven. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

We have cruddy sidewalks here...every driveway has curved dips on the sidewalk so there isn't a lot of flat surface to walk on.  I would get shin-splints a lot walking on the sidewalks.  The street is nice and flat so I always did most of my walking there.  Plus our residential area is pretty quiet and not a lot of traffic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As couple have brought out - not actually softer in the scope of a runner's weight hitting it

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Running/Concrete_or_Asphalt__4793.html

He mentions other good aspects beyond just what is going to be measurable and actually noticable outside placebo effect, with sound being a factor that can fool you.

I do notice the difference in temps between concrete sidewalk in sun and asphalt road in sun during the summer. And if sidewalk was level and trip-free, I'd prefer it for less heat.

Especially if said sidewalk is NOT right next to the hot street with big surface area getting heated up and surface air not moving much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I prefer the street because I get frustrated when I run into big groups of people who are walking reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly slow. Smiley Frustrated

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

I usually choose the road because I am running with my dog and she is easily distracted by other dogs in yards. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have had my fall runs and other reminder of why streets preferred over sidewalks in dark evening even - and this is on side residential streets of course, many of which don't even have sidewalks, but even if they do ....

More piles of leaves and limbs from storms on the sidewalk - more hazardous.

Those heaved and uneven sidewalk areas are more dangerous in dark, where street lights are shaded by tree limbs more, and sidewalk is darker than the street to see those hazards.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I prefer to run on the road, its not always an option but if i can, i will.

The tarseal has more give then running on the concrete footpath, so its easier on my joints.

"Act like a lady...Lift like a BOSS"
Best Answer
0 Votes

I think its everything already mentioned, including myth vs fact. I think its also stepping off the curb, when you are running it can be hard on the ankles. Even with sloped sidewalks, there is still that fear that its not sloped enough and down we go. I prefer to run on a treadmill- I know what's under me the whole time.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

I really can't be the only one who gets upset when you end up behind someone who is walking and checking their phone? Smiley Mad

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Just checking my pace , Helena, just checking my pace!!!! 🙂  

Best Answer
0 Votes