Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people walk/jog/run in the street instead of the sidewalk?

Just curious.  I'm not a runner, but I walk everyday, and I always use the sidewalk.  But I see a lot of people walking/running in the street, and I just don't get it.

We have beautiful sidewalks in my neighborhood, so it can't be that people are worried about tripping over a crack.  So what gives?  

Best Answer
0 Votes
22 REPLIES 22

Between checking my steps and checking my playlist I'm checking my phone a lot. Woman Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
I dont have sidewalks in my neighborhood, its kind of rural so I am forced to walk on the side of the road. Good thing there aren't many cars. I do sometimes drive to other areas to walk and if there is a sidewalk, I use it.

I don't understand why people will bike on the sidewalk, with a perfectly good bike zing right next to them. I have had to dodge quite a number of bikes while walking because of this. Its almost safer to walk on the bike zing and let the bikers have the sidewalk.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Krystyne.  Great question.  I used to wonder the same thing before I started training for marathons.  The street is a little softer to run on than the sidewalk is, so many prefer to run in the bike lane to help spare some extra shock to their knees, backs, etc.  I think that with regular running, the slight difference in give the street provides adds up.  Those running in a bike lane however, should run against traffic so they can quickly get out of the way if necessary. 

That said, I have recently joined the many who take the safer approach, and now run or walk on the sidewalks as well.  This is mainly due to the increase in distracted drivers who are texting etc., and can easily swerve into the bike lanes.  I figure I'd rather be alive with with sore knees at times, than dead or severely injured by a wreckless driver.  Too many car accidents--including vehicle vs. pedestrians caused by distracted drivers. Not worth it.

Stephen | USA

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.--John Wooden, legendary UCLA coach

Accepting Solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody's Fitbit experience. Take a look here for more Fitbit help.

Best Answer