Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I exercise and get steps in when having teeths pull?

ANSWERED

So here the problem: I'm having some teeths pull over the next couple of month's. How do I exercise and lose weight at the same time? I've to have 13 them pull.  🙁🙁🙁🙁🙁

Thanks for the help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

There are times when it's not a good idea to exercise, one of them being when you're recovering from a medical or dental procedure.

A few years ago I had to have a tooth extraction (I had an infection, so I had to have IV sedation). I had zero energy for several days. I also had zero appetite. Your oral surgeon will probably also put you on a soft foods diet for a few days.

This was before I began my fitness journey, but my suggestion stands. Focus on healing and recovery.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi @Steelwoman,

Maybe after all that work, food won't sound appetizing for a while?

You should be able to exercise, whether walk or run or whatever, as soon as you feel better and your dentist says you can.

The real key is to match the amount of food with the amount of exercise. If you're not able to exercise much, try not to eat too much. As you exercise more and more, you'll be able to up the calories you take in. Best of luck.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Thanks WavyDavey. I'll try my best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope everything goes smoothly and a quick recovery!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

well, I work in a dentist office as an assistant so let me give you some advice.  You will want to avoid any vigorous activity for at least 48 hours.  When you get a tooth pulled there is a blood clot that forms and you want to keep that clot in as long as possible so you don't get dry socket.  You do NOT want dry socket, the pain is unbearable.  When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I went horseback riding the next day and three clots fell out...I got dry socket in three out of 4 holes and was absolutely miserable.  You also do not want to smoke for as long as possible, at least 72 hours, no sucking on a straw and no spitting, when you brush your teeth, let the water just fall out of your mouth.  Hope it all goes well for you!

Best Answer

Yeah this is what my dentist told me also. She didn't tell me anything about dry socket though. I don't have to worry about smoking cuz I don't smoke. But thank you for the advice Peggy I appreciate it.  😊

Best Answer
0 Votes

Teeth pulling is painful. So sorry you have to face this. First I recommend getting an audio book to listen to to take your mind off your discomfort and to listen to while you walk. Listening to it only when you walk will help motivate you to go when you don't feel up to it. I know those diet shakes don't always taste the best but can go down easily with a sore mouth and provide all the nutrients needed. 

Good luck and keep smiling. 

Cheering for you!

essie

Best Answer

There are times when it's not a good idea to exercise, one of them being when you're recovering from a medical or dental procedure.

A few years ago I had to have a tooth extraction (I had an infection, so I had to have IV sedation). I had zero energy for several days. I also had zero appetite. Your oral surgeon will probably also put you on a soft foods diet for a few days.

This was before I began my fitness journey, but my suggestion stands. Focus on healing and recovery.

Best Answer

Thank you both! I appreciate it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Happy recovery. Please let us know how you do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Steelwoman This would be a great time for focus on your sleep. Sleep is just as important as movement and nutrition. While your body is healing sleep is critical, so maximize your down time and get some good ZZZZ...Best wishes for a smooth and speedy recovery.

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

I know one thing I'm not a morning person that's for sure MarciM!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rest and recovery is your first concern. Also, you will want to get a few ice packs to keep in the freezer. Wrap in a tea towel and apply to jaw. It helps reduce the swelling. Swap ice packs as they defrost/warm up. No strenuous exercise. Leisurely strolls wouldn't hurt.

Best Answer
0 Votes