Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932
That would depend on running speed and stride length and obviously health

If someone were to do that 10 mile run in the same amount of time with a shorter stride length they would do it with more steps, whereas someone with a longer stride length would do it with less steps

I jogged for 10 mins and steps per second was around 2

So if I were to keep up that pace for 1 hour, that would be around 7200 steps

Comparing distance done is moot, as it is mostly dependant on stride length, so it is like comparing apple to oranges

Then what about steps done throughout the day? Someone that works 8 hours sat down/driving, then goes home to clean the house, cook and look after the kids etc is obviously going to have less time to walk/jog/run than someone who is retired etc

Just like someone that is unhealthy is obviously going to struggle to do more steps in the same amount of time than someone that is health, it is like someone in crutches/walking stick saying I can't do that many steps as someone who is fit and healthy

Basically, you can not really compare yourself to someone else unless the criteria is exactly the same

Why waste your time complaining and accusing people of cheating when you don't know anything about them

You could be overweight and struggle to walk/jog, whereas they could be fit and have no problems

If you suspect someone of cheating then just unfriend them

In my friends list, I have people that do way more than me and way less, do I go around accusing them of cheating or being lazy? No, I'm not bothered if I come first or last, what I am more bothered about is getting those steps in to improve my health, not win a trophy, cheating doesn't improve your health

I look at it as a challenge to improve myself and help others to improve

If you bought a Fitbit just to earn trophies, then you seriously need help as you have basically wasted your money

I'm probably going to get some negative comments, so be it, at the end of the day, I know I am not cheating and my steps are legit, I have nothing to prove, I could quite happily leave the Fitbit community right now and just continue to use the Fitbit for its intended purpose, to lose weight and improve my health

Sorry for the long post, but these post accusing people of cheating etc is getting boring and annoying
Best Answer

The fact is, at race pace, the fastest distance runners in the world only have about a 180 stride per minute rate; the distance covered in one hour is somewhere around 13 miles, and the number of strides will equate to no more than 11,000 per hour.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok, the jogging speed might be off at it was done jogging on the spot, whilst watching The Biggest Loser on the iPad :), I just measured my walking speed outside, approx 99 steps per minute

At that speed, I would do 5940 per hour, granted I do walk faster than the average person, so to do 48000 steps, it would take me just over 8 hours of continuous walking

If I spreaded it out ever the waking day, 30 mins walking every hour, presuming 8 hours sleep

If I were to jog/run an hour in the morning and say jog/run 2 in the evening, not exactly hard to hit 48k everyday as long as I was to keep active/moving

Now for someone to do that when all they did was sit in front of the tv/computer, that would be another story

Whether that is healthy on the joints is another matter

In some challenges, I am in the middle or bottom half, yet I do not accuse those above me of cheating, I do not know what they do as a living, how fit they are, how much time they have put into it etc

If my older brother said he did 48k in a work week, then yes I would call him a liar

Let's take some recent workweek challenges I was in, I did just over 210k, yet some did double that. I see it as a challenge to push myself harder

The problem is that some people presume that everyone is of the same health, or work the same hours, same type of job etc, everyone is different, someone working in an office sat all day is obviously going to do less than someone on the move say in the factory during work hours

Challenges are for fun, to help motivate each other to do more steps and lose weight/get fitter, yet some take it far too serious

Some will probably say I can not do that due to work etc, but none of you know me, I do not work due to health reasons, not physical health, and no I am not mental! Due to my virus that left me in ICU and now with epilepsy and severe memory issues I am unable to work, so I could essentially walk all day, everywhere I go I have to walk or catch the bus as I am not able to drive

The problem with race pace is that it not sustainable for long periods, otherwise marathon runners would be completing it in much faster times

If you suspect someone of cheating, kick them out of the challenge, leave and/or defriend them

For example Shipo, if people were to constantly keep calling you a cheat because of the times you completed them in, you wouldn't be very happy now would you? Heck, eventually you would get annoyed and bored of the complaining and having to explain why you can do it in those times
Best Answer
0 Votes

You mentioned 48K in a work week, i see that as reasonable, bur someone who claims to log 50K steps per day would everage 350K per week and close to 2.5 millions steps per week, people Get Real!

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, Jerry said he could get 15-20K in the Gym in one hour and then after work walk his dog and log another 30K steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please read James87's post on 5-6, that is exactly what he said.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please accept my apology, I did miss read James's post.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have only had my fitbit for less than six months and having been in a fee heavy stepper challenges, 50k isn't that big of a deal. I normally average about 30k or so a day and it isn't hard. I work out and walk everywhere. Everyone, won't have joint issues. Everyone isn't cheating. Some people just love being active in terms of cardio and that's okay. Some people also have jobs that allows them to be active. I have reached 100k in one day and it was difficult. Will I do this everyday or even every week? Heck no! But I did it because I wanted to challenge myself. There are people that are happy they can reach 10k and they should be appalled as well. We all have different activity level and goals. That is all.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bbeliever215 wrote:
I have only had my fitbit for less than six months and having been in a fee heavy stepper challenges, 50k isn't that big of a deal. I normally average about 30k or so a day and it isn't hard. I work out and walk everywhere. Everyone, won't have joint issues. Everyone isn't cheating. Some people just love being active in terms of cardio and that's okay. Some people also have jobs that allows them to be active. I have reached 100k in one day and it was difficult. Will I do this everyday or even every week? Heck no! But I did it because I wanted to challenge myself. There are people that are happy they can reach 10k and they should be appalled as well. We all have different activity level and goals. That is all.

Hmmm, 30,000 steps per day is quite doable, even for folks with families and full time jobs, but 50,000 steps?  No, not buying.  On a day-to-day basis, such individuals would be either walking 25+ miles, running something over 30 miles, or some combination of the two.

Long story short, averaging 50,000 steps a day is in fact, either a "big deal", or the user is cheating.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's only 12:22pm where I am and I already have over 30k without really trying. 50k isn't that difficult and especially considering a weekly average. There are days I do 60k or more then the next day on 20k (which is my daily goal btw) which would then give me a daily average of over 50k. I don't understand what the big deal is really.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, gotta call you on this one.

What is it you think you've done today to already have 30,000 steps?  Have you walked 15 miles?  Have you run more like 18 miles?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Why do people always challenge the distance? The distance done means nothing

Does every marathon runner complete the marathon in the same number of steps? No, why? Because their stride length is different, when will you people get that into your head?

When will you people realise that the distance done is purely down to what the user has set for stride length

10000 steps for one person could be 0.75 mile, yet for another could be 1.25

Heck, I could set my stride length as 10 feet, but at the end of the day regardless of distance done, steps is what matters

Not to mention, Fitbit only has the option of walking and running, not jogging

This is getting boring, you people always complain about the number of steps means that they did so many miles, why? The number of steps done does not mean that they did that many miles

To be honest, I think the mods should close these threads and start warning those that create them as they do nothing but create arguments.

All they have to do is use those brain cells to realise that x amount of steps does not equal x amount of miles

Oh, did I mention that the amount of miles done is dependent on what the user has entered as their stride length? Maybe I should post it a few more times, and then maybe people will start realising that it is dependent of what the user has entered and not the actual amount of steps

I could enter 1km as my stride length, but at the end of the day 1 step is 1 step, of course you could cheat in that respect, but that is a whole different matter, which believe it or not is what this thread is about, not the number of miles/distance done

Not to mention, if you people spent less time posting/arguing on the forum and actually spent more time out walking/jogging/running then your step count would be higher, because guess what? Whilst posting you are sat down not moving, unless you are using a under the desk stepper
Best Answer
0 Votes
Anyway, this is getting boring now, time to unsubscribe to these threads, they do nothing for the forum or community but cause trouble

Say what you want, I know my steps are legit
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:
Why do people always challenge the distance? The distance done means nothing

Does every marathon runner complete the marathon in the same number of steps? No, why? Because their stride length is different, when will you people get that into your head?

Believe it or not, the relationship between time and distance does not vary as much as you might think.  For folks completing marathons in pretty much anything under three hours their cadence is usually within about 5% of 180 strides per minute; for folks completing the same race in under four hours their cadence is usually within 5% of 165 strides per minute.  For folks who are even slower, their stride length and/or cadence may vary by even more, however, given their slower pace, their ability to rack up say 50,000 genuine steps day-in and day-out becomes even more suspect.

So, given the relatively stable relationship between time and distance, it is pretty easy to identify when someone is doing something other than walking or running to increase their step count.

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Not to mention, Fitbit only has the option of walking and running, not jogging

To be honest, I think the mods should close these threads and start warning those that create them as they do nothing but create arguments.

All they have to do is use those brain cells to realise that x amount of steps does not equal x amount of miles

Oh, did I mention that the amount of miles done is dependent on what the user has entered as their stride length? Maybe I should post it a few more times, and then maybe people will start realising that it is dependent of what the user has entered and not the actual amount of steps

You do understand there are Fitbit models with built in GPS or tethered GPS which do not require a stride length; yes?

Long story short, if someone says it is "no big deal" to log 50,000 genuine steps in a day, I have to challenge that, I've run as much as 18 miles in a day, I have a relatively short stride (I'm a fat old man), and haven't even come close to 50,000 steps in a single calendar day; heck, I haven't even made it to 40,000 steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately you're doing it wrong...apparently. I run too but usually when Im in competitive mode in a heavy stepper challenge I use the elipitical. In roughly 2 hours I get 20k and I can run in place to at my desk. Again, I walk everywhere...to the train, to work, to the store, to the daycare to drop/pick up my children. It isn't difficult and just because you cannot do it doesn't mean no one can. Sorry but that's the truth. You don't need science for the one. Oh and fyi, I am jogging in place now...
Best Answer
0 Votes

A few comments:

• Just because I haven't done it doesn't mean I cannot log 50,000 steps in a single day; technically I have, I ran 35 miles in a 24 hour period (early afternoon to early afternoon) in an "Ultra" relay race, I just didn't have a Fitbit at the time.
  • What I'm saying is 50,000 steps, day-in and day-out IS a big deal.
  • Regarding the "steps" you're logging; sounds to me more like you're logging activity which happens to get recorded as steps.  Maybe I'm a purist, but I do believe there is a very significant difference between jogging in place, and running mile after mile after mile at a pretty good clip.
Best Answer
0 Votes
As a runner, yes there is a difference. But how would one know if there just judging someone's stats. Why are they concerned with someone's stats? In a step challenge what counts are the steps...doesn't matter if the person was running, stepping, or whatever. In a competition, I use the elipitical or jog in place. When I am not concerned with a competition, I run. I only run 2-3 times weekly. But yes there is a difference.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So does that mean you're okay with one of the other folks in your various challenges rubbing their hands together for a few hours and logging say 80,000 steps per day?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Shipo, I see you like these types of threads...lol I really don't care because thsee challenges are just another tool to help me reach my fitness goals, nothing else. What matters to me is using fitbit and calorie counting apps like my fitness pal to help me get to my ideal weight and fitness goals. Ppl treat in every arena in life. However my life isn't driven by such. This is my last post on the subject. Good day😊
Best Answer

ok last post in this thread I promise

sorry, but a 5'4 person running 1 mile will do it in more steps than someone who is 6'2 running at the same pace, not to mention, leg length, all contributes into the stride length

just because a person is say 5'9, does not mean that they have roughly x length stride, by your reckoning then, everyone that is say 5'9 will have roughly the same walking/jogging/running stride length, sorry, but if their leg length were to be similar or same then yes, but not everyone has the same leg/arm length

lets take myself and my mum, we are of the same height, legs are roughly the same length, yet she has a much shorter stride length, be it walking, jogging or running

a couple of inches difference in leg length may not make alot of difference in say 100m, but the longer the distance, the greater the difference

like I said before, my jogging steps per minute is about 2 steps per second, that means 120 steps per minute, so by your reckoning, I should be able to run a marathon in around 3-4 hours then

and to bring up what you said, marathon runners can complete it in just over 4 hours, and? all that means is that they are fitter than someone than complete it in 8 hours

anyway, goodbye to you all, argue all you want, like I said, I know my step count is legit

I got the fitbit to improve my health, not cheat and make myself number 1 in challenges, so I can boast about it, and if you were to look at some of the challenges I am in, in some of them, I am in the bottom half, and in some cases by over double the number of steps I have done

I also seem to notice that you seem to concern yourself alot in these threads and your profile is private, something you are not telling us? maybe you only join challenges that you know you can win? and dislike it when you come 2nd or lower? maybe you are here just to cause trouble and you get off on it?

anyway, this is my last post in these threads, I have better things to do than continuously argue/prove that my steps are legit, I have nothing to prove, if you don't believe me, then that is your issue not mine

Best Answer
0 Votes