Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

Wow! That's a great goal per day, hard to achieve daily though but it's awesome that you reached that amount of steps.

The higher amount of steps I've reached is 32000 in a day. However, reaching 50k is one of my goals for this year. Any advice you can give me, considering that I spent 8 hours sitting at work?

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well done at achieving 32000 steps , I have only achieved 50 plus , a hand
full of times. I'm not a athlete, but I spend 8 hours a day at work on
my feet so them days I average 25. 50 a day in my eyes , is crazy and I
dont believe healthy
..good luck with reaching the 50 staying covid free is high priority
now😀😀
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Fluffmuff41, thank you so much,I appreciate it! Yes, I avoid people since I need to take care of myself, not only for me but for my grandma and my mother who suffers high blood pressure.

Wow, I can't compete against you hahaha but I'll do my best to achieve 50k. I'll let you know when I do so 😉

In the meantime, please stay safe and keep achieving your goals! 😀

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to add some more stats into the thread -  Recently I walked 20 miles for 45,000 steps and 2,250 calories burned.

No way I could do that every day!

I run 3 times a week, usual max 5 miles for 10,000 steps and 450 calories.

Best Answer

@judetheobscure wrote:

Just to add some more stats into the thread -  Recently I walked 20 miles for 45,000 steps and 2,250 calories burned.

No way I could do that every day!

I run 3 times a week, usual max 5 miles for 10,000 steps and 450 calories.

Funny thing, back in 2016 I ran an average of a little over 11-miles per day for the entire months of October and November, that plus the fact I live and work part-time on a horse farm combined to give me just shy of 30,000 steps per day on average for the two months, my high day was about 43,000 steps (18-mile run plus barn work).  In the entire 5-years I've been wearing a Fitbit I only hit the 50,000 step threshold once, Election day 2020 where I worked as a poll worker and ended up running back and fourth to guide people and cars for literally 7-hours straight, that also on top of barn work; I hit just over 55,000 steps that day.

Best Answer

Its very possible, I don't know anyone that takes 8 hours to do 30000 steps, thats absurd. 8 hours is a lot more than that, whar are you doing, crawling? Just because you can't do it does not mean others can't, keep your weak mind to yourself.

Exactly, do what you can, there will always be people that can push further limits than you. Don't compare, you're doing your best, why does it matter if someone does 50k/day? Why would they cheat? That is very realistic if someone has a job that includes walking, a 3-4 hour hike can get you 20000 + steps, walking is not exhausting for most regulars. It's very possible to hit 50k/day if its a job like a mail delivery person.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
When will this stop coming around.  Fact is, 50k per day is not something a person would do EVERY day; it is misleading and there is absolutely no need for it to keep reappearing.  Who really cares?
Best Answer

I'm in terrible shape. I managed to get 35,000 steps a while back and it took me 6 hours and 40 minutes over 6 different walks. Nearly killed me. I know somebody that got their 50,000 steps badge but I think she only did it once.

Best Answer
0 Votes

They haven’t set the watches up probably.

8 Hours is just me going about a day at work without trying...you probably get your steps by lots of wrist action 

Best Answer
0 Votes
35k is quite an achievement ~ Congrats. I MAY have gone just over 20k ONCE. I’m glad to get around 10k each day!!!🙃
Nancy

Sent from the all new AOL app for iOS
Best Answer

Yeah it’s very hard to do.

It’s funny this post keeps coming around. I guess Google/Fitbit likes the response it’s getting. I only asked the question to see what was really out there. Also, I asked the question like 6 years ago and have since given my fit bit away and now wear an Apple Watch that’s 90% better.
My thing now is, if you walk 20, 40 or 50,000 steps and beyond, who cares & more power to you!

Sent from my iPhone

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am also curious how people averaging 50k+/day. Do letter carriers even averaging 50k+ a day? They do walk a lot but they have to make stops to put mail into mailboxes. Can they keep the pace of 3.5 to 4 MPH throughout their workday to get 50k+ steps. What about the time they spend at the post office to sort the mail for their route. Furthermore, if a carrrier works 5 days a week, they have to do 50k+ on their day off too or they have to do 20% more each workday in order to get 50k+ step/day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sn2019 
City Carriers rarely sit. When throwing mail (sorting) they stand and throw the mail into slots in a case. If they have the Fitbit on then each piece of mail might get counted as a "step". They still "walk" while throwing mail but not as aggressively as when on the road. It normally takes an experienced carrier 90 minutes to two hours to throw a route. Then 15 minutes to the start of the route and 15 to get back. Two 15 minute breaks.

So really about 4 to 4 ½ hours delivering mail plus overtime if needed.

Some City Carriers have easier walking routes than others, but generally most of the walking takes place over 4 to 5 hours.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Patrick, so a "typical" city carrier does 30k or so a day? Let say they walk at the speed of 2.5 MPH during their 5 route hours. That would give them around 25k + another 5k for sorting mail.

Some stockroom clerks walk a lot too but I don't think they walk fast enough throughout their shift to get anywhere close to 50k+ steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@sn2019 30K a day? Maybe, I guess. But only for 5 days a week. It all depends on the area. Your carrier could be in a bustling area where the mail is heavy and another carrier could be nearby in a soft area and not have much work. 

Rural Carriers deliver from the truck, and really do not walk much. City Carriers mostly deliver door to door. Each area is different, and in some areas City Carriers deliver like Rural Carriers using a truck most of the time.

Each town is different, and the only common denominator is that the Unions want each carrier to be on the road an equal amount of time. So one carrier may walk for 4 or 5 hours and another may ride most of the time.

Two carriers, same city; one walks 35K and the other 25K. It isn't the distance that concerns the Unions, it is the time spent.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is a genuine question there's no need to be so smug . 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Andrewea 

If you are referring to me, I have no idea what you are talking about. 🤔

I was a carrier for a time and posted what I know to be the answer. Have a good day.

Best Answer

Yes ypu can do 50 K in a day! I have proven that, sithout cheating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

In order to average 50k/day, you'd have to do it seven days in a row. It's a weekly average.

Best Answer

Yesterday I had to go shopping 2x but due to epilepsy I have to walk fast 7,5 km/hour. And its a long distance and I danced and boxed and walked before that so it is duable. Also if you keep on walking and don't stop taking loads of breaks, than your counter continues and before you know it... buzzer 5th of the day!

-------------

If one is sportive and hikes/ walks fast a lot at 7,5 km/hour, you will get there pretty soon! Also if you dance or boxe, you use energy and without knowing it, steps are used of course!

I don't think you can cheat with this one and if you are a cheater, why post it then?

-------------

I don't think it's nesecairy to do 50k every day. Just once in a while!😉

Best Answer
0 Votes