Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

kflannery, You are amazing for losing so much weight without really dieting.  I am dieting and I still don't lose.  My husband keeps buying the cookies, pies, pretzels, etc.  We live in Amish country and he loves their bakeries. I try to avoid the goodies, but sometimes I succumb.  It really does help to write things down, but I've been lax at that lately too.  I think my schedule has been weird lately and once the holidays are over, it will get a little easier.  I just hope that this winter isn't as severe as it has been for the past 2 weeks.  All the snow and ice keeps me from the gym.

Best Answer
Good morning all! Shelley and Carol, you made my morning as I started reading the posts..."mindless munching" and chocolate addiction! I had to laugh, not because it's funny but because I sooo related to what you were saying! I too don't like keeping munchables in the house, my feet just literally turn in their direction especially if I tired or stressed about something and I don't even realize I'm heading in that direction! And Kflannery and Walkinggirl, you are so right about adopting a way of life rather than a "diet". I haven't felt deprived and know I can do this if I can curb my inclination to graze mindlessly. I'm trying to replace the easily grabbed items (usually empty carbs) with healthier choices when I feel the urge to indulge.

We survived our annual tamale party yesterday, I'm tired but happy. Everyone seemed to have a good time and our homemade tamales were a big hit! However....there's always a however isn't there when there's a party involved?....I also make sweets and cookies for the party and of course I hade to sample the tamales (which cannot in any way be considered "healthy") and each type of chocolate, cookie and toffee to make sure they were acceptable to serve our guests. Sigh... I knew I was sabotaging myself but sailed forward anyway. This morning was my weekly weigh in and I had gained a pound. Could have been worse...I guess I did exercise some control after all 😇

My goal too is to maintain my weight through the rest of the season. If I can lose or just hold steady I'll call it a win. Walking will be much easier to get in now with all the cooking and baking over. And I know I'll feel better too! It's too late for me to join your challenge Shelley...I've already gained a pound or I'd be all over it! Take care everyone, and have a great week!
"Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it". ~Greg Anderson
Best Answer
0 Votes

Linda, it's not to late to join the challenge.  You have until New Years Eve.  Just because you gained a pound doesn't mean you won't lose it.  The goal is to lose some or not to gain until the end of the challenge.  I read that as meaning at the end you will weigh yourself and compare it to now.

Isn't it funny how we eat because we are happy or sad, bored or busy, frustrated or at peace.  It doesn't seem as if we really need an excuse.  My husband can be outside working all day and I don't see him and it doesn't bother me, but when he goes out of town for a day I can't stop eating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am up for the challenge..i too hope to lose but will be content to just maintain over the holidays...everyone remember not to beat yourself up if you fall short, just get back on track as soon as possible and start again....the only failure is to stay down, success is getting back up.....Have a great Sunday everyone......

I don't stop when I am tired, I stop when i am done.....
Best Answer

Yea!  Glad to have some folks doing the challenge with me.  I have to say that starting this challenge has remotivated me!  I feel like I can't just blow off the steps because I said I was going to get them so now I have to do it! Smiley Happy

Linda, it is definitely not too late to join.  And Carol, that is right, the goal is to end up at 12/31 weight the same or less than when you started the challenge.  Linda, I know exactly what you mean about needing to sample the food you are going to feed others.  That happened to me when I was cooking for Thanksgiving.  I had made up my mind that I was going to eat mostly salads and veggies but I didn't want to force everyone to follow my way of eating.  I felt like I had to cook all the traditional stuff for everyone else and of course I had to sample it to make sure it tasted right.  You did great to get through a tamale fest and only gain one pound.  I bet that will come off easy when you return to your usual routine.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi -- Just saw the new forums tonight. I've been traveling and haven't had time to do anything with Fitbit other than sync my One the past few weeks. Think I'll head over to the Weight Loss forum and read more about it. Just maintaining until 12/31 sounds like a great idea with all the temptations ahead of us all.

I'm sorry to say I gained about 3 pounds while away from home. Certainly got to get rid of that, plus I still need to lose about 15 more pounds (I've lost 20 in 2013) in 2014. How did I do it? Using my FB for motivation, exercising more (walking, Zumba, and Pilates) and keeping a food diary (except when I travel, which is about 1/3 of the time). When traveling, I just work on maintaining, which is why I was only able to lose 20 pounds in 12 months.

Thanks for setting up this forum, Shelley. I just turned 64 last week, so I'm definitely "over 60".

----------------
Linda
Georgia, USA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome Daylight and Linda Garison!  Glad to see you both here on the Women Over 60 forum!

Daylight, so sorry to hear about leaving the charger!  That sucks!  But glad you are keeping on moving and have your wonderful family to spend the holidays with.  I know how addictive this fitbit can be and when I forget to wear mine, it is like jonesing for my fix! LOL.  But we all know its the exercise and diet that are what is doing the actual work of getting us in shape!  Keep checking in with us!  We'll keep you motivated while you don't have the fitbit to help you!

Wanted to let you all know that not everyone has been successful in finding us over here on this new forum area but were able to find the group in the Activity Groups.  A few days ago, I suggested that we check out both, to experience the differences between the two.  Several women have joined the group.  As I have had the chance to check out the groups section, a few things I like are that you actually join the group and it shows all the members in one place.  There is a leader board showing ranking of all members and their steps.  If you haven't been to the Groups section yet, you can find it at this link:
The organization of the posts is just like the old forum area.  You can set it up as oldest first or most recent first. Unless you join, you cannot post messages to the group.  Hope you will check it out!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Folks

Finally find time to get onto Fitbit and......... all change; where had the discussion threads gone?. However I searched and  found the new discussion thread. I have been busy teaching then Sundays which were catch up time, have gone. 1 Sunday painting nursery wall, I Sunday glossing skirting then yesterday helping build 3 cots. We also unpacked all the goodies bought and given by friends; mobiles, toys, clothes etc. 3 weeks to go, all being well, then triplets arrive. I will be a granny cubed or a cubic granny. We managed to get a long walk with the dog as well plus a spin class first thing. Weight still not droppping very quickly but shape changing and I am getting fitter.  I had booked in for a charity spin last Saturday but they moved it to January so my idea to have a good calorie burn before Chriastmas has gone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Freya!  So glad to see you found us!  Yes, it is quite a shock when you first get on Fitbit since the changes!  Sounds like you have been busy and only three weeks till babies are here.  So excited for you all!  How often does someone get to become grandmother to triplets???  This is pretty rare!  It is not business as usual for you or your family right now.  I will say that it is great you have been exercising and you will want to keep it up because when those little babies start crawling and toddling if you aren't in shape you will be exhausted (speaking as a grandmother of twins who wasn't in shape)!  Now that I am exercising and eating healthier and have lost 25 pounds, I have so much more stamina for my toddler grand kids.  I don't get nearly as worn out as I used to.  Come by and post as often as is do-able.  Again, so happy to see you here!

Best Answer

FYI, I had my valve replace on 11/11/2012....if you would like first hand information let me know...also as a health care provider (paramedic) I might be able to answer questions you may have....I joined a discussion group prior and found it to be very helpful...

Best regards,

Rallph

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 61 and just purchased a fitbit to assist me on my new ejourney to getting back on track and to lose 130 lbs! I need all the help to keep me motivated and focused. I hope this community can help me, too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good luck!  I'm 63 and just got mine on Friday of last week.....just having it has adjusted my mind set...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am hopeful after reaing your story that I may be motivated despite all the setbacks I've had,too!Congrats on your loss of lbs and activity level improvements! keep going, I'm rooting for you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm very motivated...in addition We're down to the last two sons home and one is leaving for the Air Force on March 4th leaving us with one who's leaving in another year for college....We're almost home free and have lots of time for US now so it's important that we get physicaly fit to enjoy the remaining years we have together..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Woman Happy     Where did you find it, I'm new and lost as usual  '=)  Dang, found them

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just keep stepping.....some more than others, some faster than others..but we are all in the same race heading for the same prize....good luck to everyone.....

I don't stop when I am tired, I stop when i am done.....
Best Answer
0 Votes

How is everyone doing?  How and what at you doing to get or stay in shape?  Are you trying to lose or to maintain?  Share your story!

I am 61 years old.  I am trying to lose and since getting the Fitbit in med-Sept have lost 27 pounds.  I joined a challenge to lose 30 by Christmas as soon as I got the Fitbit and am happy that I am almost there.  My reason for trying to lose weight was to reverse my pre-diabetic condition and have more stamina and energy and feel better.  I have met those goals.  I now am trying to get out of the obese BMI range and get a healthy body/fat ratio.  

I mostly just walk for exercise.  I try to get at least 10K steps a day but fell down on that goal for a couple of weeks and started losing my motivation.  So, when these new forums started up, I created a new challenge to either lose or maintain weight through Dec. 31st.  I committed to do my 10K a day and that re-enegized me.  I have been doing it since I started the challenge a few days ago.  

I think it is the combination of the exercise and eating 90% vegan.  I also do not eat any grains or gluten, sugar, or sugar substitutes.  I follow Dr. Joel Fuhrman's methods limiting oil and salt.  Sounds pretty restrictive but actually I eat a wide variety of fruits and veggies and different kinds of beans, seeds and nuts.  What happened when I made this change to eating this way?  Food cravings stopped and no longer felt need to snack all night long.  Stopping sugar really helped.  Whenever I eat sugar now, I end up becoming ravenously hungry and just cannot seem to get full.  Takes a couple of days to recover.  So that has reinforced my committment to stay away from it.  The weight is coming off steadily and I am not hungry.  I can walk further and faster and my body is feeling stronger.

What are your goals and what have you found helps or works for you?

Best Answer

Thanks, Shelley! I thought I'd lost everyone for good! Glad to have found you. Have been good with the exercising but very bad about food tracking. I definitely need to get back on track before the holidays! Help!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Mary, glad you found us!  Sounds like you need to join my Holiday Challenge over in the Weight Loss forum!  I had to start that to keep me on track too!  It seems to really have helped so far.  Also, I think there is more activity with the Women Over 60 group over in the Activity Groups section so come on over there.  Here is the link

http://www.fitbit.com/forums/topic/P38GDNLGK3DT4

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone,  I just got my Fitbit the end of Oct. I go to the gym with my DD after she drops the kids off at school. We usually use the treadmills but join an aerobic class 2 days a week. I've been hoping to lose about 30 pounds and so far have lost 5. I know it's going to take some time so I'm not disappointed that it seems like nothing is happening. I'm also working against medications that make it harder to lose weight and tend to put it on instead.

eileen

Best Answer