Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do women over 60 get in shape?

Hi all!  I am starting this thread to help all the ladies from our old forum get started up again over here in the new place.  Hope you all find this thread.  Getting in shape after 60 has its own challenges especially when you have lost muscle, have slowed metabolism and hormone changes.  How are you getting and staying fit?  What s working for you?  

Best Answer
698 REPLIES 698

Hello All of you over 60's!  I am so glad to find this group.  I joined the old group just as it changed over and lost you.  I am not sure I am posting in the correct place, so help me out if I am not.  I am a retired educator still working part time, but spending most of my time changing bad eating habits, exercising and trying to lose weight put on over many years.  I have lost 30 lbs since July 2013.  The holidays have been difficult, but I've not gained, so I consider this a success.  The family all went home today, so my husband and I went back to the gym.  It had  been over a week since I had gone and I was really feeling the results...sluggish, lazy, unmotivated.  Time to kick it back in gear for the new year!!  I wear my Fitbit all of the time, taking it off only when it needs charging or I'm swimming or showering.  My favorite form of exercise is deep water aerobics.  I also do water zumba, rowing machine, treadmill, eliptical and a weight circuit. I track my calories with Loseit which syncs with my Fitbit. I find this very motivating.  I am trying to be very honest with myself by logging everything that goes in my mouth.  I've even start weighing some of my foods.  I need some new chalenges to motivate me in the new year and keep me on track.  Any suggestions?  I know I have to do some form of exercise everyday to be successful.  I seem to be successful about 4 days in a week.  I want to up this to 7 days a week in January.  A am currently averaging around 6000 steps per day and want to reach 10000 steps per day.  I log in my swimming and weight training manually into the program.  Is this what you all do to record activities that are not walking?  How accurate do you percieve this to be? 

I enjoy reading your posts.  Keep them coming because they are very motivating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the group, Ali. I personally do log my workouts and it may or may not be accurate, but I err on the side of posting too little calories used. I try to log EVERYTHING.  (even the 3rd glass of wine sometimes). I'm trying to be good, but I've had soooo much practice being NOT!  I'm losing about 1 1/2 - 2 pounds a week and have since September, except for the holidays, when I have NOT gained! (you're right, it is a success...)  I'm vowing to do more at home. I go to the gym 6-7 days a week and sometimes twice a day. I'd like to do a few things with free weights and a jump rope at home so I don't have to trek down there. A new year's resolution in the making. Mainly, I try to move at least 10-15 minutes every hour, whether I'm on the computer or in the studio (I'm a potter). If I sit I get stiff. Don't we all!

I'm trying not to wait until the first, but I find that ... well, it's just a few days until I can start anew... I need to commit to every day NOW.  Otherwise, remember every time we swore we'd start a diet..."soon"...or "next Monday"...we'd eat because it was our "last chance" before we start. Obviously this hasn't worked in over 60 years. So now I'm beginning to get it!  and that's why it's coming off...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like we are thinking alike.  I too am not waiting until the 1st.  It is now or never.  We went to the gym today.  We are in a rural area and our gym is about 30 minutes away.  We cannot go twice a day, but I'm trying hard to go at least 5 days a week and then doing something at home on the other two days.  I also log everything I eat and try to err on the side of putting in too many calories. I to have been averaging 11/2 - 2 lbs per week except for the holidays.  I hope to see a 2lb per week drop in January/ February.  I know this will require not going over my net calories of 1200 per day and working out at least 5 days at the gym & pool.  I find that it takes total concentration 100% of the time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
What a great weight loss!, congratulations! Your story is very motivating! Thanks for telling us.
Rubygirl
Best Answer
0 Votes
I love your story! Congratulations!
Rubygirl
Best Answer
0 Votes
Home tomorrow. Will charge my fit bit and then back to gym. Hoping to try and sync food diary with fit bit. Raring to go. Not waiting till the first as that just gives permission to eat and I don't need that. Really with you guys, need to build muscle

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I do that. It's the only way I can get an honest total good luck to you
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,

I just joined fitbit and am so glad I found this for women over 60. Great information and support! Looking forward to my journey. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to chuckle when I read your post about fretting over a chocolate bar, Suzy.  One day I had that craving and bough a whole bag of Lindor Truffles (dark chocolate ones) and at most of the bag on my way home.  Chocolate seems to be one of the most addictive things we eat.

Susan, I didn't realize you were a potter.  That's great.  I love throwing on the wheel, but haven't done it in years.  I do have a kiln, but I'm planning to sell it.  I wonder how many others among us are artists.  By artists, I would also include needle arts, crafts, etc.  I just love to do so many things--got to keep my hands busy.

I also over ate during the time when my kids were here.  I don't think it was terrible, but I had some cookies and candies and even some ice cream.  But now I am back on track.  Today we will go to our little granddaughters 3 birthday party and of course my daughter ordered pizza and subs as well as ice cream and cake.  I'm not sure how I will get around that.  She said that people are canceling because they are getting sick and I'm hoping that we don't have to eat all 7 pizzas she ordered.

We had a challenge not to gain weight until New Year's Eve.  Right now I think I'm ok.  I lost after we started the challenge but if I gained, it may just put me where I was when I started that.

Welcome to all the new ladies.  I am so glad  to see older women trying to stay healthy.  Most of the older women I know are rather sedentary--like I was before fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too thought the Jogger tag was funny.  Definitely not me!  I move but I certainly don't jog!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can someone explain "the famous 500 calorie deficit per day"??

Best Answer
0 Votes

I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. Cardio is my weakness so I need to do more of that. I take classes that are offered. I started 2 years ago and have worked my way into more advanced classes. I have lost 30 lbs so far and need to lose another 15.

Best Answer

Yeah!  I was surprised to be called a Jogger too.  Where did that come from?!  Never jogged in my life.  And some posters are called some other names...I think maybe FitBit is really trying to get creative and engage the subscribers--the more posters the 'more better' it is for them when they have their IPO or want to borrow money or get investors....

Nothing new with me except that I'm not getting back on track as quickly as I expected.  Had to go to Texas Roadhouse for dinner tonight and that place is impossible for a dieter.  Tomorrow is Monday and a good day to rededicate to the slimming and walking plan.

Sounds like everyone else has been true to their plans--Driving 30 minutes to the gym several times a week is very very impressive!

Have a nice evening.  Jay 

Best Answer

Hi all,

My daughter got me a Flex fit bit for Christmas so I am a newbie.  I have over 100 lbs to lose.  I'm hoping to finally get down to a reasonable weight before I have a heart attack lke my sister did at 51 and died.  I just turned 65, so I hope to find out about that Silver Sneakers program too. 

I found this link from the women over 60 group, so I am glad I found you.  If you didn't have a group, I wouldn't have found you?

Feelng hopeful that I can finally turn this weight thing around.  I have been up and down all my life, but this up and up is going the wrong way and I have to stop it! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I'm new to my flex, and just barely under 60; I hope I can still participate here, since I think were all in a pretty similar place.  I had been warned about being pre-diabetic, and sure enough have now earned that dubious status, so this is my commitment to make some changes, get fitter, and lose some weight!

Best Answer

true, any hints on how to inspire a reuctant spouse???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Shelley,  I'm wondering if I can join your group a bit early.  I will be 60 in February and got my fitbit for Christmas.  I have rheumatoid arthritis and have been having more issues the past month so am looking for motivation to get back on track.  I enjoy walking and walk back and forth to my job - not far but helps a lot.  The week before Christmas I was in such pain I couldn't even do that short walk. 

My husband and I have three children and just had our first grandaughter in May.  I need to get back in shape so I can do all the fun things with her as well as feeling better myself.  I've enjoyed reading the comments from this group and think it would be a perfect fit for me!  Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
You found the right place. I too am new to this community but find it gives me the little push that I need. Happy new year to all
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
Losing weight over 60 for women is probably challenging in winter vs. other seasons for men and women. Could it be that our biological clock preserves and stores fat more in the winter to keep us warm, etc? Just keep up the routines. This is my 3rd full month. Lost weight before Nov and now nothing. Just maintaining weight and it's winter. Moving less and eating the same. Hang in there spring is coming
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think it's called hibernation. LOL
Have to keep moving. Barbara
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes