Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

I'm a work-at-home RN Case Manager for a global insurance company. I barely have time to go to the bathroom. Lunch and break times are used for charting, returning phone calls, answering emails. I got an under-desk peddler. Problem solved.

Best Answer

Hi, i have used my fitbit for quite a while.  I was great at the beginning walking and moving more.  I had to go to London to help my mum since my dad died she wont leave her bed.  Anyway off track.  I had to walk to the shops, had tonrun to get something i forgot.  I walked to the next bus stop if no buses were in sight, i did all of this because inhad no car.  Plus it was interesting seeing all the different streets, i did manage 10000 steps twice, but was up to 7000 - 8000 everyday.  

Im back in South Texas.  Heat index 101, same looking streets, noone to smile at.  I have no inspiation at all to move.  HELP

Best Answer

I can't believe this thread is still active!

I am Natsuko. We live in the high desert so I know what dry heat is like. I walk my dog early in the morning so his feet don't get burnt on the pavement. There are other walkers out sometimes and I chat with them. If they don't smile, say hello and smile at them.  I just walk for exercise. Last summer I wore a 12P (American size) jeans, and from just getting my 10.5 K steps a day, I replaced all my jeans with 8P. When I came back from Asia, I wore a 6, but I ate to much junk food for a year, to make up for what I missed during my 20 years in Asia.  In Asia I walked to the grocery stores almost every day shop, I try to get my 10.5 K steps a day, most days it is easy, just doing my normal routine . If I don't make goal, I walk around the house in the evening, putting things away or doing a quick tidy up. 99 days out of a 100 I make my goal. Just keep going!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Barbaraspill66  

HI 😀😀😀😀😀

Most of us have slumps for any number of reasons, i.e. to busy with something or other, to hot, to cold, rainy, not rainy, it'sTuesday, it's not Tuesday or it just doesn't seem like fun anymore (I think i've used all of those lol) .   Friends help a lot, some competition helps a lot, and really understanding that fit bit has to be fun (it really is ) . Just keep stepping on, how much or how fast doesn't mean nearly as much as just doing it .  

Best Answer

That is so true....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tracy....what is an under the desk peddler....it sounds interesting....I am a front desk receptionist..so I am always at my desk.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's a bike, without the bike! It's a peddle machine, fits under a desk, that you can peddle all day long. I've just discovered that taking mine out to the living room when I watch TV at night is beneficial as well. 
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, this thread has been going on forever! But I like all the ideas!

Like some people have mentioned, one of my current motivators is Pokemon Go. It appeals to my nostalgia, but more importantly it gets me out of the house and walking around. I also like to go to parks and take pictures of nature, or walk though my city's downtown and photograph historic buildings. Listening to music and podcasts and audiobooks also helps. And if I can't get outside or don't want to because of weather/time/whatever, I have a little elliptical stepper that I use in my apartment (sometimes to the Leslie Sasome videos on YouTube). I also live close enough to my work to walk, which helps a lot. And my job is mostly deskwork, but I do get to walk around a little and there are stairs, so I try to maximize that when possible. I live on the seventh floor of my apartment, and lately I've been making it a point to do the full climb at least a few times a week instead of waiting for the elevators.

Aside from that, some of my general tricks are things other people mentioned, although I'll add that one of mine is, as soon as you drive home from work/the store/wherever, do a quick lap around your block before you go into the house. Or when you're cleaning up, do it one item at a time instead of all at once. If there are five used water glasses lying around, take each of them to the kitchen individually. Picking up discarded clothes? Take each sock to the hamper in separate trips. It can really add up, but it doesn't feel like exercise.

Another trick I learned from somewhere else is: If you're having trouble making a goal to exercise, start with the goal to just put on your workout clothes. Nine times out of ten, by the time I've wrangled my sports bra on and found my running shoes and scrubbed the makeup off my face, I'd feel silly not doing some exercise. Or make a goal for yourself to do one pushup per day instead of 5/10/20. Because once you do one, you're liable to keep going, because you've already crossed that initial mental threshold.

Best Answer

My job is very sedentary as I assume most of ours are.  My ADHD actually helps me move a lot. I set timers for myself to do just about everything. Creating that sense of pressure forces me to finish in that time frame I set.  I work for about 25 minutes at time.  If I finish sooner I treat myself with a small walk around the office. I try to organize my work in such a way I can utilize the treadmill while I'm working.  For example, my job deals with heavy policies. It requires tons of reading. I read and walk at about 2.0 mph while I'm at work.  

You know that feeling you get after you eat lunch? The sudden drowsiness. Feeling lethargic? Depending on what you eat your body is using energy to break down and digest the food you're eating . I try my best to walk around after lunch. Just for about 15-30 minutes. 

We've all gotten sleepy in the office as well. Every time that happens I find a set a of stairs to go up because climbing stairs elevates your heart rate so much. 

I live in D.C. I commute via the metro at times. The trains don't always come at the exact time so when that happens I walk around the platform until the trains get there. 

I play video games when I get the chance.  Between each loading screen or game countdown I walk around my apartment. I only live in a 750 square foot apartment. 

I hope this helps.  I just try to fit the steps in where I can.  

Best Answer
I love all of this!
Best Answer
0 Votes

i do zumba workout videos and weights walking etc

Best Answer

Good ideas!

Best Answer
0 Votes

There are many ways to achieving a more active lifestyle.  Some of the things that work for me are:

Get out of bed as soon as you wake up and make the bed.  A made bed detours you from laying back down.  Besides, I feel better when I get up as soon as I wake rather than laying there thinking about it.

Start your day with some stretching and a workout.  It doesn't have to be crazy hard, just enough to get your heart rate up.  Mine varies from 15 minutes to an hour depending on what my day is going to be like.

Break the television addiction.  Too many people watch way to much tv and it is not good for you.  I'd rather live life for myself rather than watch make believe.  If I watch tv it is only in the evening and then it is only youtube (educational or training videos) and occasionally a movie.

Give up the elevators and take the stairs.  Park further out and do some walking.

Put the cell phones down for a while.  Believe it or not there was a time when we didn't carry one around 24/7 and we survived.  I don't stop whatever I am doing to always check messages or take calls when they come in.

Spend less time on the computer.  Again those messages will be there in the evening.  And all the games that are played are addictive.  I don't have any on my phone or computer, as I noted before I prefer to live life.  (Yes, I do understand that there are some who have to use computers for work)

Following sports can use up a lot of time.  I gave them up as I got tired of watching a bunch of thugs, drug addicts, and criminals making millions of dollars to play games.  There are very few good role models out there.  Instead get active in sports or hobbies where you are actively participating.

(Note: How many overeat or drink to much while watching tv or sports.  Can kill a diet)

I'll stop here although you could write a book on ways to become more active.  But to sum it up, all it takes to be more active is to stop thinking about it and start moving.  After you have been more active for a while it will become habit.

Best Answer
I agree; you just have to stop thinking about it and just make it part of
your routine, which I have basically been doing for the past 20 years. I do
try to shake it up every few years; I did aquafit and walking for years,
then I upper the ante to spinning, aquafit and yoga; now I do Zumba,
walking, aquafit and dragon boating. I have done dragon boating for 6
months a year for the last 10 years. Almost everything else revolves around
staying in shape to be able to race. For me, it was about finding a passion
that involved moving my body. From there, everything falls into place
though the specifics may change.
Best Answer

Great Idea.  

I actually have a stand up desk and when I am standing I march in place.  We also have a Wellness program here at work and between co-workers we challenge each other to see who can do the most steps.  Gotta have people holding you accountable and motivating you.  Happy stepping everyone.

Best Answer

I signed up for fitness classes at a place that charges you for the class if you cancel less than 8 hours in advance, so at the end of the day you're financially motivated to go even when you're tired.  

Then, it turned out that I absolutely loved the place, so I go almost every day now.  I am much stronger and fitter than I was before, and I actually look forward to going to class!

#raisethebluebarre 

Best Answer
Natsuko here.

My sewing room/library/fitness room should be given an inspection Monday by
the building inspector, then I can move my stuff in. It will be so nice to
use my Bow-Flex, Elliptical and bike! It seems as if this project took
forever. I am going to weigh and measure before I move in and use my
equipment, and measure again in 3 months. I don't care what the scale says,
my goal is to fit into my size 6 jeans. I haven't fit into them since I
moved from Miho, Japan. I want to keep my body fat in a healthy range, my
doctor is happy with my BMI but he admits it is not a true indicator of
health. My target heart rate is good, and health is my main concern. Thank
you all for your advice to me and others following this thread.

Natsuko
Best Answer
0 Votes

Facing a similar problem here.  Going to remember that the best place to start is right where we are, and that success (even small steps) begets more success.  You can do this!  Best wishes. 🙂

Best Answer

For me, what made me do it was basically an impulse and sheer willpower to adhere to a schedule you made for yourself.

About 4 weeks ago, someone gifted a FitBit to me and after downloading the app, I became so intrigued and obsessed with the metrics that I just decided to change my lifestyle practically on impulse after leading a mostly sedentary lifestyle for 34 years.

Fast forward 4 weeks, I now run for 3-4 miles a day and easily hit all greens by the end of the day (if not mid-day). I actually feel terrible if I don't run.

I admit that it may be a little easier for me since I've never been overweight and simply lack exercise (I guess I don't really over-eat). But I'd say, the biggest factor for me was I had a schedule to exercise at 7 or 8 AM every morning and I stuck to it religiously even if I don't feel like it.

Instead of cheating and skipping the exercise, I instead decreased the intensity and took more frequent breaks during the exercise. Of course, the metrics that the FitBit app gives me in conjunction with the watch is also a HUGE motivator, especially at the end of the day when you get the all-green circles for your daily goals.

Long story short, make a schedule and stick to it. Decrease the duration/intensity, take breaks, do whatever you want to make it easier, but do NOT skip/cheat. It WILL get easier. I'd say the first two weeks are probably the toughest time and the highest chance for most people to quit their resolve.

Persevere and good luck in your health journey!

~Best regards

Best Answer

Something like the Fitbit is a great help. especially when you link it with something like MFP and count you calories. Some might call it obsessive, but personally I say it is keeping eye on your lifestyle, what you do and eat.

Best Answer
0 Votes