Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396
Great advice as your body needs time to adapt to the increased work load. As a general rule do not increase the workload by more than 10% every 1-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I work in a startup. My boss is the CEO and runs the business. He simply made a commitment that staying fit would be a priority outside of his working time (which are a lot + he travels quite a fair bit). I do the same. He wakes up early and run before work, or do spinning classes outside of work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's amazing how many steps you can get in just by getting up and walking during the commercials on a consistent basis.  Of course, sometimes I really get into and just keep walking during the actual programming as well.  I can easily do 10,000 K without even leaving the house.  I walk about 15000 K a day these days plus do water fitness which isn't counted on my Alta because it's not waterproof.  When I first started which was quite a while ago now, I was trying for 10,000 steps daily and it took me a while to build up to it.  I worked a desk job also before I retired and used to walk during my coffee and lunch breaks, then an hour in the evening.  This routine got me 10,000 K per day easily.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lacieloo,

You making about 2500 steps a day is not this bad a news. You can improve upon this very easily. I would suggest you to add a walking schedule to your life. It would make a very significant impact on your life. You can walk in a park for around 30 minutes daily to get the must required physical activity. you can also park your car around half a mile away from your office to walk up to the office- both sides it can add a mile of walking to your day. Lastly, take stairs instead of using elevators. These simple and ineffective seeming efforts can surprisingly impact your life positively.

All the best!

Regards,

Daniel

Best Answer
0 Votes

This problem happen to me also, it is very hard to find something like turning point or a little thing that could change your mindset. It is something like, if you can break the wall of laziness, then everything is so easy to get away the sedentary life.

My turning point of life when i got high blood pressure (accidentally measure it). I feel like.. what?? this could be a time bomb if i do not change my lifestyle.

So by registering this forum, could be a milestone for me to get a better lifestyle.

Best Answer

Try to put on your pants without sitting down.  When you can do this comfortably, repeat the exercise with your socks.

Best Answer

I can do that, but what is the benefits of it, if i cannot put my pants without sitting down, it mean that i am very fat?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JereyCould mean flexibility.. I do that because I have lower back issues and at all times I touch my toes . It also alleviates any pain I have.. I'm a lucky one because my lower back narrowing is helped by toe touching.. Many others it's the reverse..  I don't put my socks on that way...

@Jereywrote:

I can do that, but what is the benefits of it, if i cannot put my pants without sitting down, it mean that i am very fat?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

You GO girl! Great attitude!

(comment to Animalrescuer)

Best Answer
0 Votes

In my own clumsy way, I was trying to say that balance, coordination & flexibility are helpful as we age.  Here we have snow on the ground for 5/6 months of the year so preventing falls (& getting up when one does go down) can save your life if the temperature is below minus 20 C. It's also valuable for your wallet. I can buy a new Ionic every year for what it would cost for a podiatrist to trim my toenails.  It's great when I can do it for myself.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree with finding something you like to do.  My pet exercises are water Zumba and swimming.  I also take my dog for a walk when I feel very sedentary.  This has served me well.  Just do it.  One day I just started swimming, and have for almost three years almost daily.  That's all you need to do.  Limit your soft drinks to 2-3 a day, or cut out soft drinks and replace with juice, water, or flavored water.  Eat protein of some kind before working out.  You need to follow these instructions to have energy and be able to work out for an hour.  Too much sugar, and you have no energy, so eat sugar after workouts.

Best Answer

At first when I started out using fitbit I was really unmotivated to do any walking. However once I got into going to the gym with my trainer and what not I do it more for my health then anything else. I was 330Lbs at my heaviest with borderline high cholesterol, out of control blood pressure and borderline diabetic. I am down to roughly 245lbs 3.5 years later and I still feel "lazy" at times but what keeps me motivated is I look forward and see the progress I have made. No HBP meds, no consideration for cholesterol or diabetic meds.  That is how I get up and move.

Best Answer

I typically go to bed around 11 pm.  So when I see that I am not on track to reach 10,000 steps an hour or two before bedtime, I crank up the music and start dancing in the kitchen.  The dog gives me a funny look and heads to another part of the house.  I often wind up with several thousand more steps than I needed, because once I get into the music I just keep going since I’m having a lot of fun.

It also helps me with those late night ice cream cravings ... I start dancing and tell myself that I need to burn more calories before I can have a treat.  But I almost always find that once I am done with my light night exercise, I have lost the desire for a sugary treat.

By the way, I use the term ‘dancing’ very loosely, ha ha.   💃 

Best Answer

I go to the gym almost every evening but during the day I found I was just sitting at my desk working....so I have changed it up with the help of a friend at work. We work through lunch (eating at our desks) and then at 3:00pm we take a half hour to walk or climb to the top of our 10 story office building. There is a gym downstairs (we are so lucky) so we can walk the treadmill or around the buildings. It really breaks up the day. Start with short walks, then over time slowly lengthen them. You will find yourself craving some time up and out of the house or away from your desk!

You can do it!

Best Answer

Just got my Fitbit a couple days ago, so I haven't really even started. I just wanted to say reading these posts have inspired me!! Even a 71 year old, out of shape, couch potato had a chance! Thank you!

Best Answer

Wish I could offer some advise but all I can do is sympathize-- I am a full time receptionist working from 8:30-5:30 so I am@ a desk all day-- when I get home I am too tired and all I want to do is veg on the couch-- my days off are busy but that is usually because I am running errands and catching up on stuff I couldn't do all week. Look forward to any suggestions that you get as I am trying to get back into moving again...

Best Answer
0 Votes
The reason you are so tired when you arrive home is because of your fitness level. As you increase your fitness level you will feel more energized when u get home. You need to suck it up and get busy. Set a goal to become more fit and attain your goal. Once you do exercise after work you will feel energized. “If nothing changes...nothing changes”. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
@SunsetRunner: When I was working I was like you, when I got home I had family
responsibilities, dinner, helping with my children's home work, meetings to
attend. The only time I could find to exercise that did not take away from
family time and responsibilities was early in the morning. I would get up
at 5:00 AM and run my 6-7 miles come home shower, eat breakfast, dress and
get to work by 8:00. After I stopped running I would still get up at 5:00
AM go down into my basement and do my 45-50 minutes of exercise and still
get to work by 8:00. I found exercising in the morning was a time I could
plan out my day and relieve stress. I still exercise 5 days a week, but
not at 5:00 AM. I exercise today because it felt good yesterday, I will
exercise tomorrow because it felt good today. If you feel that exercise is
important you will find time to do it.
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner ...  you'll find the time, make the time, reset priorities, do whatever you need to do as long as you really want to do it .  No need to start off with a major event that lasts for hours, the real need is that you do start (that can be the hardest thing to do) and then keep at it .  You will become more active, doing "whatever" becomes easier and a habit...All this leads to you being more active, being able to do more and wanting to do more .  The secret to doing this longer term isn't "how many, how much or how long" it's about having fun and peace of mind .  

Best Answer

Take one step at a time. If you are not working, walk first thing in the morning. If you work, walk on your lunch hour. Listen to upbeat music while you walk. It will come step by step.

Best Answer