Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

I'm super sedentary; I move very little, your average couch potato, and if I'm just going about my daily routine I'll get only 1,000-2,500 steps per day. What I want to know is, how do those with sedentary lifestyles find the motivation to increase their activity level? Are there any tips or tricks that could be offered to me?

Best Answer
396 REPLIES 396

The way to get more steps is just to wake up and tell yourself, "I am going to do ___(blank activity) today!" After I will myself to get moving, I usually have a lot of fun exercising. The most challenging part for me is getting started. It can also be more motivating and easier to get started if you schedule a specific time, place, and maybe a person to do it with. Company always makes things more fun for me too. 

Best Answer

I'm another Desk Jockey.  And a Recliner Potato.  But I found the following "Daily Micro Goals" help me:

1. I try to meet the 30 Minutes Goal.
  2. That puts me close to 7,000 Steps.  I joined Bounts https://www.bounts.it/ and linked it to my FitBit Account.  I get Points every time I walk 7,000 Steps.
  3. Then I joined EveryMove  http://everymovefit.com/  I get ActiveDay Hearts for 8,000 Steps.
  4. Then I head for my 10,000 Steps Goal. 
  5. Once I have them, I'm over 4 Miles so I head for my 5 Mile Goal.

So far, these "Daily Micro Goals" have helped me get in my 5 Miles every Day with only 1 Exception since October 29th.

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

Hi!  I am right there with you-very sedentary lifestyle now mostly because of my job where I sit in an office all day talking to patients.  I am reading this book "If I am so Smart Why can't I lose weight?" by Brooke Castillo.  On the exercise part of the book she says to set up 3 times a week for "just 5 minutes"

as an unbreakable commitment to yourself.  She also says if you don't have 5 minutes you have a bigger problem 🙂   I agree with Wendy B.  It has to be something you like!  Walk outside, bicyle, dance to music in your home or put on your favorite DVD.  I have an outdoor walk I like to do in a scenic part of my city, but I also have an indoor walk DVD by Leslie Sansone.  If you have a friend who can go with you that always helps. Good luck and thanks for posting this!

Best Answer

I know for me, one of the hardest things to change was my lifestyle, I have a desk job and spend probably 7 out of 10 hours a day sitting at work.  I decided the best way to get my steps in and build lean muscle while doing it was creating a workout routine.  I found multiple vidoes of workouts on youtube, one in particuliar is a beginners 30 day challange by Millionaire Hoy, he really teaches you how to use your own body to build lean muscle, lose fat and get your heart pumping.  It's not easy but hey I'm 55 and was 70 lbs over weight.  It works and from their I've added treadmill intervals and weight training.  As for other methods, I now make it a point to walk my store 120,000 square feet at least 3 times a day, I park far from the doors and take the stairs whenever possible.  The funny thing is, the more you move the more your body wants you to move, I can't even sit still to watch an entire 1 hour show anymore.  Keep working on it, I've lost 50 lbs so far and feel better than I ever have.

Best Answer

I've been participating in a game called "StepBet" where you bet on yourself with money to achieve a certain goal number of steps per day.  Basically if you meet all your goals, the worst you can do is win your money back.  But you're in a game with several other people so if they lose, you can win some of their money ... so it's like getting paid to be more active, which is cool.  It syncs up with FitBit, too.  I heard their starting a running game, too.   

www.stepbet.com 

Best Answer

I don`t answer every buzz for one thing it buzzes me while I`m still asleep. I don`t get to bed before 12am till at leat 1 or 2 and sometimes even 3 am. I worked the night turn shift for over 20 years and my body still thinks I am Smiley Sad Anyway I`m 77 yrs. old and have a bit of arthritis especially in my legs. So sometimes I`m standing a lot while cooking or baking or eating supper it buzzes me.. Also while I`m at Mass it buzzes me. Smiley Frustrated Sometimes I answer it by walking back and forth in the house. Other times I try to make up for it when I can go outside and walk. Or when I shop I park at the far end of the parking lot and that helps too. I usually walk at least 2 1/2 miles a day if I can. Some days I only get 2000 steps. Hey I just do the best I can. I did have an Aortic valve replacement done this year so I need the walking exercize.

Best Answer

I like that baby steps are still steps!!! We get so caught up sometimes, or at least I do, in the i WANT this and I want to look like this ; that we forget its the little things adding up that help make the difference,

Crystal Mitchell, Keep Climbing
Best Answer

Yes Pokemon Go has helped motivate my family to move as well. My sons and husband are avid gamers. I am only addicted to Pokemon Go lol. Its the moving, the thrill of the hunt/catch/hatch and the unity i love most. 

Crystal Mitchell, Keep Climbing
Best Answer
I am not a gamer but if you have found something that works for you stick with it. Have fun and keep moving. 😃

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

olympia area here

Best Answer
0 Votes
We are in the same state but pretty far apart.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah I agree:)

--
"Some folks think my hands are full...I wish they could see my heart"
www.ideacouncil.net
Best Answer
0 Votes

My son has autism and he has always been a jumper and especially loves trampoline. He is 16 and has never been sick. The doctors have said that the jumping gets the lymph system moving and is a protectant. What you are saying makes total sense to me.

Now for me, I have been very sedentary and while at home only do about 250 steps a day. I got interested in the fitbit recently and am really enjoying it. my sister is doing this with me. I do not get 10,000 steps a day, but am getting more than usual. Plus, my goal is just MOVE. If I watch a tv show, I get up and march in place or shake and shimmy my legs while moving my arms. To me, it is not just about steps but MOVING. I appreciate all comments from people. I will be 65 this summer and I want/will run a race with my 11 yr old daughter....You all keep up the good work. Now, I work and do many meetings so, during them, I will be getting up and moving:)

Best Answer
It's exciting and I am very glad of your story, @sarah52! I am also one of those who do more exercise with Fitbit and what you share with us is awesome! Let's continue to move lymph, just like your son! Good health and keep up the good work! Holidays with joy!
steps to health with my Blaze 101
Best Answer

I like walking - whenever I need to go shopping in town, I always park in a little place I know around 30 minutes away.  It's free parking, lovely walk into the city, and gets my steps up.

R x

Best Answer

When I worked I found that instead of emailing my colleague in the same office I actually walked over and spoke to them. We got along great and I would add more steps for the day and frankly it helped my back to get out of my chair

Best Answer

I have an office job so find myself at my desk most of the day. I have the benefit of being able to work from home. I've done the following:

- moved my office upstairs. To get water, do laundry, etc... I need to go down to the main floor.

- take walks at lunch during good weather

- set a timer to get up and move every 90 minutes

It's not enough. So, I've bought a stationary bike with a laptop table. I spend up to 50% of my day in meetings. During these meetings I don't need dual screens. My bike is arriving today and I can't wait. My plan is to pedal through meetings and on days (like today) when I'm organizing my email inbox. 

I also use Beachbody exercise programs. I workout for 30 minutes a day using either the 21 Day Fix or T25 programs. I just bought the Insanity program yesterday and will be doing the first workout later this afternoon. 

The importance of moving was emphasized at a conference I attended last year. In terms of health effects, sitting is almost as bad (if not worse) than smoking. The fellow who shared that information with us later died of a sudden heart attack while at work. That, and the incidence of a number of health issues in my family, has spurred me into a more active lifestyle.

Best Answer

Try and find a friend to walk with..you can start slow and pick up the pace and distance as you can. I'm 73 years old and I and a friend walk 3 - 4 days a week in our local mall (early mornings when the stores are not yet open) and we clock approx. 3 miles in a little over an hour... didn't start out with that much but we keep pushing to go "one more lap" as we get comfortable with where we are...that gives us at least 6,500 steps of "active" walking, then you can make up the difference to 10,000 just walking around the house... get up every time your fitbit prompts you and just walk around the house. My New Year's goal is to get 15,000 steps on the active days and closer to 10,000 on the other days... if you can't find a partner, use music or check and see if your local Mall has a walking program so you can find someone to walk with.... there are loads of people walking in the Mall here every morning and in the summer whent it's too hot even the young Moms come in with their strollers and walk

Best Answer

Not sure why it says I'm a jogger... I don't run or jog.. I walk and I'll get into the gym when I have time.

Best Answer

@andi11- the Jogger is just a designation added based on how many posts, how many votes, etc. you've made.  You can read about them here:  https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Fitbit-Community-Basics/About-Community-Ranks/m-p/272000/thread-id/7...

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes