Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

i usually go for a morning run in the mostly every day but some times a miss a day. When i miss days i normally just like do loads of steps up the stair way or going out and just walking around. lol i know that sounds very stupid and i think everyone knows that but it does really work! .

Best Answer

When I was a runner I did this. I set my alarm for 4a. And made myself "get up, get dressed, get out the door" before I could come to my senses and remember it was freezing or pouring. Surprisingly, I don't miss it, but I do miss being fit. Getting back in shape at half way to a hundred is BRUTAL. 

Best Answer

I love reading, but when I got my fitbit, I went to audio books from my local library and audible.com for my phone and now listen to books all the time.  

Best Answer

I don't have the battery or air time for that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great idea !

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Great idea !

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do I need to take some extra steps to reach my goal? 

No problem!

I will walk the dog! Smiley Very Happy

I have found that this is the best way to get those extra steps, and its good for your dog, your dog will love you more! haha Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
I do not have a dog!! My extra steps come in the form of deliberately
forgetting to bring some thing up from the basement, carrying groceries in
many steps instead of getting them in 2 trips make it in 5 trips.Going
around the community to see the flowers that others have planted ,different
grave yards to see the different headstones, going on streets to see the
mansions ,so many different ways to get more steps in
Judy
Best Answer

Back when I was working, I spent my lunch hour walking with co-workers, and we could easily do 4 miles and still have time to gobble up a sandwich when we got back.  I am now 75 years old and most days can do 10,000 steps or more.  Rainy days I do a stationary bike and go up and down the stairs.  The most walking I have done is 24 miles in one day, and that hurt!! Way too much for an old lady.

Best Answer

I always park the furthest away whether it be at work or at a mall.  Gives extra steps

Best Answer

so proud of you I am going to be 67 at Christmas,& I am realizing how important it is to keep moving. .You are an inspiration to me thank you for posting . I needed to read this today , I have scoliosis & osteoporosis, as they told me my pelvis could fracture before my hip. I walk slower because of the pain not like 2 years ago.I miss that,but I will take what I can do. Take care

Judy

Best Answer

I make sure that I do my 250 per hour (I wish the vibration on the Blaze was better I have to watch it instead of just feeling the vibration) I sit at a desk all day - so I make sure that when I go to the restroom I walk completely around the building instead of direct to the restroom it is over 300 steps to walk around the building!!! I brought a mini trampoline into the office and walk on that during lunch - lots of steps on that - I also have one in my living room for steps while watching TV.

Best Answer

If you live a life with crazy, changing schedules I have a tip for you! On those days when I have to run errands I make sure I park way out in the boonies. Having to walk further gives me a few extra steps and it really does add up by the end of the week.  The trick is to make small tweaks to what is already on your "do list" for the day and add a little bit of exercise to the mold. For example, a goal of working out/going to the gym 3 times a week. You can select days you want to go but let your schedule be flexible in case the week gets more crazy. If all else fails you can work out 2 times a week and 4 times the following week. Don't let a busy schedule rob you of good healthy habits! A 24 hour gym is a delightful resource if available just FYI. What I am suggesting is find the right fit that works for you and does not add more stress. Your health is far to important and start with a small step towards the ultimate goal. The goal of living a longer, healthier life! You can do it! If you are feeling discouraged, overwhelmed, or defeated find a community to encourage and hold you accountable. If you think of the gym and nothing but dread is stirred, you can rethink a gym membership. Working out at home might be a better option and boy oh boy are there resources! YouTube videos are definitely worth checking out. Free work out! I personally go to YouTube for all sorts of yoga right in the comfort of my little abode! Stay motivated and remember you are investing in your future! 🙂

Best Answer

I am at school, and I get a lot  of steps walking around to classes, walking up stairs etc. I am challenging a friend and those steps just aren't enough!

Any ideas??

Best Answer
0 Votes
R u saying u aren't getting enough steps or you need to raise your goal? You can always challenge with 6ththe most steps at the end of the week.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, I need more steps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I work 14 to 16 hours a day 6 days a week and always make a point to get my 10.000 steps a day done.

I have a handy hint for you and other peeps struggling to get there step counts up. sometimes after a hectic day and I get home from work the last thing I feel like doing is going for a walk so I get my exercise ball pop on a movie and bounce lol. it counts steps and you are also doing a cardio workout and getting your step count up. hope this helps. cheers, Lethal. 

Best Answer

Anytime I go to a business, I park far from the entrance. I get steps, there's no searching for a spot, and I have less car dents from parking next to others.

Best Answer

I have done this,I will go to my 24hr Walmart and browse every isle.lol

Best Answer

I agree with wishing that the vibration was better on the Blaze.  I also try to get my 250 steps in per hour.

I also go to the restroom at the front of the bldg to help get more steps in.

Best Answer