Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174

Ive had a fitbit since last christmas and at the start it was hard work getting my 10000 steps each day (I didnt actually get there most days) but by following tips here and doing the odd challenge I get there easily now. It suprised me when I realised I had increased my steps and not notice I am doing more. My favourite tips from here were to walk evey isle in the supermarkets and other big shops and to put the washing up away one item at a time ratherbthan drying a stack and then putting them away together.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Steps do add up quickly by doing what you're doing.  Keep it up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

high stepping in place is really not cheating I don't think, you'll still moving in a since. But what I see post that someone has logged  1000.000 steps in a days time really makes me wonder are they really doing that much walking or are they Just  strapping their tracker to their Dog and letting their Dog just run. 

To each it's own I say but if that is the case  who ever dose something just to rack up steps  they are not doing their self's any good what so ever you'll just totally missing the point  of the use of tracking. It's about, What you are doing it your   workout routine  keeping track of your Progress not your dog just to post that you have 1000.000 Plus steps.  Really if you really walk a 1000.000  plus steps show your activity by posting your  activity   route you walked . Don't fool your self I've read some of these posts and I just can't believe that  anyone walked 2000.000  steps as it was posted . 

Best Answer

Lifehack : I bought a hula hoop.. 😉

Best Answer
I dance or talk a walk around my neighborhood.
Best Answer

Walk as much as I  can... before work, breaks, lunch time and in the evening plus I love walking my dog. Made a life change since 2015 to get more active

Best Answer

That works as long as you can do it.  I can't.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree a 100 percent. It is pointless. People just doing themselves disservice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

To add extra steps I like knowing how far I have to walk to get so many steps.  My current one is walking from my front door, down my driveway, past the mailbox to a telephone box down the road and back.  That gives me 500 steps on the round trip (250 to the phone box and 250 back).  So I know I can do it twice to get an extra 1000 steps.  It's quick and easy and I can do it however many times I want.  i like seeing the numbers add up when I need to boost my steps.  If I'm home I often do this several times a day to give me the outside air.  

Best Answer

I do like the hourly reminders to walk on my Charge 2. I also take a brisk, short walk in the morning and afternoon at work if I can get the time, as well as walking at lunch. I take the stairs rather than the elevator if I can. I park further away from my office and at the store.

But frankly, the best way that I've gotten my steps in is to stop having steps as the primary goal for my FitBit and changed my goal to get 30 minutes of activity a day. Since I've done that, I generally get my steps in as a matter of course.

Best Answer

Has anyone had any success with bike riding and having it log steps? I can manually enter a workout but it won't add those to a challenge group in steps. Would I just hook it to my ankle???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your wrist needs to be in motion for steps to be calculated, so you could attach your tracker to your ankle for steps.  

@Up2Me3 wrote:

Has anyone had any success with bike riding and having it log steps? I can manually enter a workout but it won't add those to a challenge group in steps. Would I just hook it to my ankle???

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Would like to have a app. that would record warmup and cool down, so as to receive a more accurate reading of stats during the more intense part of my workout. I do a cross training and the treadmill app. gives me the most pertinent I'm looking for.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a desk on wheels that fits over my treadmill.   If not in meetings I walk while I work from home. 

A few times a day I crank a fav sing and dance around my house! Can get 500 or more steps per song!

Best Answer

That's a great idea, @LJanes!

Great way to get some extra steps while working from home, maybe I'll give it a try. 😀 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer