Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those extra steps in?

I live about four miles from my workplace and although I haven't yet walked all four miles to or from work, there are a few games I play during the week to increase my stepcount.

Some days I'll take the hillier, windier, unnecessarily long route to BART (San Francisco's heavy-rail rapid transit system). Almost always, I forgo the escalator for the stairs. Today, that act alone added 5 flights of stairs and over 250 steps to my morning journey.

My other favorite "cheat" is high stepping in place. Sure, I may look a little odd bouncing up and down while typing at my makeshift standing desk, but it feels good to keep the blood flowing and the legs moving! 

What do you do to get your extra steps in?

Best Answer
1,174 REPLIES 1,174
Great one.. USAF-Larry.. I like it. Always think of innovative ways to step up
Best Answer

I have done the pacing in front of the TV thing, but found it most effective when I could do the loop through the living room, entryway, kitchen, dining room and really get some speed. 🙂 Now I live in an apartment on the second story so I can't get up the speed. I am with you that I need to go somewhere! I also don't watch a whole lot on my TV since I don't have cable and my computer is smaller and I usually don't have a good look at it. I also hesitate to do so much heavy pacing for my downstairs neighbors.

Best Answer

It is hard to walk at / during work... at my place they started making fun of me.  Well, I found a park with trails through the woods...even during these horrible days of summer, I have been able to meet my goals most days using these shady trails.

Best Answer

Way to go while keeping cool.   Smart idea,

Best Answer
0 Votes

One easy way I've found to get get about 25-30% of my steps is to do scans. I use the apps Shopkick and Checkpoints, and I can scan barcodes on certain items, and get points. Those points I can trade in for gift cards, and I'm going to use those gift cards for Christmas. That's what I did last year, and I'm going to do it again this year.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRSunrise wrote:

One easy way I've found to get get about 25-30% of my steps is to do scans. I use the apps Shopkick and Checkpoints, and I can scan barcodes on certain items, and get points. Those points I can trade in for gift cards, and I'm going to use those gift cards for Christmas. That's what I did last year, and I'm going to do it again this year.

I don't understand.  How does scanning help you get steps?  Am I missing something? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's just another way I can multi-task while doing it. Normally, I would push the cart like a normal person, but now I make sure to mix in my steps with it. I remember to keep on the movie in between items.

It makes sense to me. I was told somewhere on here that I need to make my steps and fitness fun. I find this fun. I'm strange, I know.

Best Answer
Cmthurman
Keep at it. Try not to let others get you down. Possibly try to get a walking partner
Best Answer
0 Votes

I recently got a standing desk at work (treadmill desks were a little pricey) and I jog on the spot whilst reading emails etc. I make up my 12K steps before I even leave the office. Doesn't feel like I've had to put the effort in and my legs and lower back don't feel cramped from sitting in an office chair for 8 hours.

Best Answer

@CRSunrise wrote:

It's just another way I can multi-task while doing it. Normally, I would push the cart like a normal person, but now I make sure to mix in my steps with it. I remember to keep on the movie in between items.

It makes sense to me. I was told somewhere on here that I need to make my steps and fitness fun. I find this fun. I'm strange, I know.

Good idea - I just had never heard of the scanning things before.  

I've been known to step in place while waiting in the queue in Walmart.  20 mins of waiting could be 2000 steps!  I'm not always brave enough to do it if waiting alone.. but if my husband is with me I'll definitely do it.  I always make sure I walk the long ailes up and down to try and get some extra steps too.

Best Answer

Depending on when my boyfriend gets out of work ( I meet him so we can go to the gym together  4 times a week),  I get between 11,000 and 16,000 steps out of my 15,000  step goal.   I make whatever's missing by  walking in place ( high knees)  on an average of 10 to 30 minutes for  a few sessions throughout the day, although  I have done  a five minute session and  a 60 minute one as well.      I figure that's how I'll do things instead of always  stepping every hour if I don't get what I need outside of the house and will add more steps to my goal as time passes by. Could also depend on my mood though. *lol* 

I'm thinking of still having Sunday as a rest day, but incorporating one HIIT session early in the morning and being done with it.  

Best Answer
Hi Adrian, that is an ingenious idea having a standing desk at work.:light_bulb:I also think you will be less prone to lower extremity swelling and possible blood clots.....these can occur from prolonged sitting. However, perhaps you are very young age and don't need to worry about this yet. Just crossed my mind, cuz I'm NOT young anymore. LOL🤔😉

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

I work night shift . I exercise when I get up.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I put my washing away 1 by 1. I have a 9kg washing machine and can usually do abou 30-40 stairs per load and 2000 steps
Best Answer
I take stairs to another floor to go to break room/restroom 👟👟👟👟👟👟👟
get steps/stairs all in one
Best Answer
While commercial breaks (usually last 3min), I walk out my back door out to the street and back estimate my time but back in time for TV show👟😃👟

Best Answer

I do the same as many of the other people on this discussion board. I love getting a walk in during my lunch hour to keep my legs moving and heart pumping during the long work day!

Best Answer

I go outside in the evening after work and play with my son or we'll go to the zoo

Best Answer
0 Votes

The weather today was the kind where the high temperatures was outdone only by the high humidity. Walking outdoors required the use of gills to process the water saturated air.  So, I decided to go Mall Walking. The mall was very quiet, and it was a good day for walking the inside perimeter and using the stairs. Managed to get my 5 miles in, in spite of the weather.

Day Activity 160708.jpg

Best Answer
Walking the mall is a good idea, some mall will let you walk in them before
they open if you have a group. Just a thought.

--
*Gordon Tabachniuk*

gordontabachniuk@gmail.com
cel. 780-9151976
Best Answer
0 Votes