Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you increase the number of steps you do a day?

ANSWERED

So I've been finding that I'm not getting anywhere near 10,000 steps daily; in fact, I'm not even getting 50,000 steps per week. As such, I've been looking at different ways to increase the number of steps I do each day, so far I have:

• Walked to the far end of the platform for my train to work in the morning (approx. 35 steps done twice a day)
  • Walked through the train from the end I got on to the other end. Doing this sets me up at the far end of the for the station at my work (approx. 120 steps, done twice a day)
  • Walk the full distance of the platform, over the pedestrian bridge across the tracks and back down the other end to get to my work. (approx. 135 steps to work; 30 steps from work)
  • At my breaks in work, I walk upstairs to the canteen (approx. 600 steps [100 each way, three breaks per day])
  • I also each hour at work, update a statistics board, so I sat at the furthest away desk from the board meaning I get extra steps (approx. 15 steps each way [done nine times a day].)

In total, I get an additional 1345 steps a day (five days a week). However, I am still not achieving the 10,000 steps a day.

As such, I have come here to ask what everybody else does to get those steps up on a daily basis; any tips?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Like what @emili said, you have to make a conscious effort to get your steps.  I work a desk job.  If I didn't go out of my way to get in extra steps, I would maybe only get 3,000 to 5,000 steps.  However, I usually average around 15K steps per day and sometimes I can go higher (yesterday I hit 22K) steps.  It took me a long time to build up to this.  To do this, here are some things I do:

• Wake up early to do some light cardio at home.  
  • At work, take long routes to the bathroom and breakroom at work.  
  • Instead of calling or emailing someone, I get up and walk to their office.
  • Take multiple trips.  Example:  Go to the bathroom and take the long route.  Get back to my office, then go get water in the breakroom, also taking the long route.  Instead of doing one trip to do both, I make mine two.
  • Take at least 30 minutes during the work day to walk.  This can easily get me between 3200-4000 steps!  I've even gotten some co-workers to walk with me or walk on their own!
  • Go for a run after work or go to the gym.  Or if you have dogs, take your dogs for long walks after work.

Other things I do is have a set step goal for certain times of the day.  For example, I like to be at at least 3,000 steps before I leave for work at 7:30am.  By noon or 12:30, I want to be at 5,000+ steps.  And before I leave work, I want to be at 10K+ steps.  Then the rest is easy to get after work by running or going to the gym.

Because I make a big effort during the work week, I don't try as hard on the weekends.  I'll run and go to the gym, but my weekends usually end up between 10-15K steps.  10K is a "rest" day for me now.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Go for a brisk 1/2 hour walk (or two 15 minute walks) and devote yourself to the walking - that should give you 3000+ added steps. Don't worry so much about picking up a few dozen steps while doing other things.

Best Answer

the only way I get steps in daily is to make an effort to get them. I wake up early every morning and walk 5 miles. I go to the gym every evening and do some form or cardio or in nice weather do a hike. Just day to day puttering would not give me anywhere near the steps I need to feel active. I normally get about 20K steps per day except one day during the week which is a "lazy" day. Today is that day.. 🙂

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I make a point of getting up early and going on my treadmill for 45 to 60 minutes. I have to be entertained when I'm on the treadmill so I have discovered that listening to audiobooks is wonderful. Helps get me 5500 to 8000 steps in extra in the day.

Best Answer

Like what @emili said, you have to make a conscious effort to get your steps.  I work a desk job.  If I didn't go out of my way to get in extra steps, I would maybe only get 3,000 to 5,000 steps.  However, I usually average around 15K steps per day and sometimes I can go higher (yesterday I hit 22K) steps.  It took me a long time to build up to this.  To do this, here are some things I do:

• Wake up early to do some light cardio at home.  
  • At work, take long routes to the bathroom and breakroom at work.  
  • Instead of calling or emailing someone, I get up and walk to their office.
  • Take multiple trips.  Example:  Go to the bathroom and take the long route.  Get back to my office, then go get water in the breakroom, also taking the long route.  Instead of doing one trip to do both, I make mine two.
  • Take at least 30 minutes during the work day to walk.  This can easily get me between 3200-4000 steps!  I've even gotten some co-workers to walk with me or walk on their own!
  • Go for a run after work or go to the gym.  Or if you have dogs, take your dogs for long walks after work.

Other things I do is have a set step goal for certain times of the day.  For example, I like to be at at least 3,000 steps before I leave for work at 7:30am.  By noon or 12:30, I want to be at 5,000+ steps.  And before I leave work, I want to be at 10K+ steps.  Then the rest is easy to get after work by running or going to the gym.

Because I make a big effort during the work week, I don't try as hard on the weekends.  I'll run and go to the gym, but my weekends usually end up between 10-15K steps.  10K is a "rest" day for me now.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer
I do very similar things. When I first got my Fitbit (2 years ago) I
thought I walked a lot (compared to most people at work, I did) and I did
start at 10,000 a day goal. I thought, wow, that's a lot of steps. I
started walking to and from work every day, instead of a couple times a
week. That got me 6000 steps at least. On my coffee break I would go for a
wander around my shop or a quick jaunt around the block. I started standing
at my work bench and rarely sat through the day.
I was becoming highly motivated to push myself. 10 became 11, then 12, then
15. After I moved and had to commute, I bought a treadmill (there are lots
of nice ones on sale because people buy them, use them briefly and then
sell them)
Now my daily goal is 18 and my dog motivates me 😄 Treadmill in the morning
because it's dark out & I live in a sketchy neighborhood.
I try to be between 8 and 10 before work and because my work is
unpredictable for movement (I'm a shop foreman in a locksmith shop and
sometimes I'm stuck at my work bench) but I usually get 6 to 7000 in a day.
So 15 or 16, typically by end of work day.
I got a dog a few months ago and after work I walk to the dog park (15
blocks away), walk around the park with him and walk back. 18000 now comes
and goes, all because I make an effort.

After 2 years, I feel out of sorts if I don't get at least 10 in, even on a
day off. I can scroll through my step history and tell you exactly when I
had a cold, was stuck in my car for a road trip etc by how few steps I took
😄

I'm 51 and I'm in probably the best shape of my life. People think I'm
crackers for getting up early to exercise. As they say, inactivity is the
new smoking. If you don't move, you are not healthy and inactivity can kill
you.
Best Answer

One thing I do now is when I wash dishes I dry one item at a time, walk to the cupboard and put it away and then walk back and do another one. No it doesnt really add more than a couple of hundred steps a day, but it HAS made me more used to walking and doing things one at a time in lots of areas, rather than planning and making one trip to do multiple things, and my step total has crept up without me having to make a huge effort. Yes I aim to do at least 10,000 a day most days of the month, but I dont stress if I dont make it on the odd day. But usually I get well over 10,000 a day now and it is usually easy.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Best Answer