Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is Fitbit Measuring Calories Burned re: Activites

I've been using Fitbit for 3 years now, but this has perpetually confused me -- why does walking burn as much-sometimes more calories than a full on elliptical workout where my heart rate is up and I'm sweating buckets?

Example:

Walk: 40 minutes, 225 calories burned, 93 avg bpm

Elliptical: 35 minutes, 237 calories burned, 131 avg bpm

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @hnarment From the numbers below it shows you did burn more calories while on the elliptical for less time than you walked, so that appears to be correct. There are many factors to be consider for calories burned, age, sex, weight, all are taken into consideration. The other item to note, I think overall we burn less calories than we think until we really start tracking it. The most important this is you are moving, and getting your rate up, which should be the primary goal. I'm sure you are improving our overall fitness level, which is a great things too. 

Keep up the good work!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Based on the huge difference in average heart rates between the two, it looks to me like one of the calorie numbers may be off.

In my experience, how we wear the band is critical to getting good heart rate data and calorie counts.

Take a look at this article, under Accuracy, and try those tips. They may help.

What should I know about my heart rate data?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find that when I am on the elliptical or some other non step activity, the calorie burn is truer to my HR than when I am doing a step activity. I have not proven completely unscientific thoughts on why that may be, but I go with the theory that if there is an over estimate or an underestimate- it is consistent for that activity. So if I need to make any kind of calorie in adjustments, I work from that angle...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks so much for your thoughts! I think the heart rate monitor is correct- bc the level of intensity between the two actitivies is so vastly different. That’s why I was confused why caloric burn was also vastly different. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your thoughts! I think you are right- I also don’t think I’m burning that many calories walking- but the elliptical is probably accurate. I guess the Fitbit can only gauge so much— and can’t for other things- like intensity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very true- so many factors weigh (so to speak) in on things (:   Intensity is one of those things- which confuses me why the calorie burn on my Fitbit wouldn’t be significantly different  between a low and high intensity activity. I think the elliptical workout is accurate- the walk— perhaps not as much. 

Best Answer
0 Votes