Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't change the exercise calories!

I just got my Charge HR a couple of days ago, before I had Flex. It's giving the wrong amount way off for circuit weights & treadmill like I did yesterday. The dashboard won't allow me to correct them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Safe to assume your Fitbit is reporting lower calories burned than the treadmill? You can't trust the calories burned reported out on a treadmill or elliptical if you aren't using a heart monitor and even some with heart monitors don't have advance enough software to factor in your heart rate along with age, sex, weight and so forth. Most equipment has a very simple program that doesn't take into account fitness level and how hard they pushed themselves (target heart rate is different for everyone) and the programming is designed to make you feel good, not be 100% accurate. If you are doing the right things (good nutrition, movement and sleep) you will see results no matter what the exercise calories show on your dashboard. I trust my Fitbit, but don't fixate on stats. Have fun and keep moving!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer

I don't believe the Flex contained a heart rate monitor; therefore, it could not measure impact of the exercise based upon your heart rate and the info you entered into your profile. If you relied upon the calories given by the treadmill, etc. for your exercise time, these are known to be inaccurate in many cases.. Your current tracker is a good source to establish a bench mark for your future progress.

I have a Fitbit Alta HR. Sometimes, I will notice that I don't have the same calories for the same activity for the same length of time. I will check against the heart rate chart and will discover the heart rate may reflect the intensity of the exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

there really isn't anything other than equipment in a  medical facility that will give you an exact calorie burn. However, any tracker with an HR is going to be less wrong than one that calculates calories using a predetermined algorithm based on stats you entered. your flex was overestimating your calorie burn and the machines over estimate by more. The charge 2 is actually pretty good with calorie burn. I tested the original charge hr against my polar chest strap and it was within 50 calories which is pretty awesome in my opinion. the charge 2 has the same hr monitor and is a more updated tracker. use the stats from your tracker would be my advice.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer