Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a problem floors

ANSWERED

Good day 

I have a problem calculating steps steps not activated from almost a year the steps are not calculated 😭😭💔

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Floors

Floors are counted using an altimeter. An altimeter is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing elevation, so the it calculates elevation gain based on the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Your trackers register a floor when they detect continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Given the fact that 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights, although commercial floors in particular tend to be higher than residential floors.

It will add floors when it is windy or cold.

The most important thing is you need to go up 10 feet in elevation. A lot of floors in housing are not 10 feet in elevation

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Floors

Floors are counted using an altimeter. An altimeter is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing elevation, so the it calculates elevation gain based on the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Your trackers register a floor when they detect continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Given the fact that 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights, although commercial floors in particular tend to be higher than residential floors.

It will add floors when it is windy or cold.

The most important thing is you need to go up 10 feet in elevation. A lot of floors in housing are not 10 feet in elevation

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Also what device are you using?  As some of them do not have the floor option @Maryoomh_1988 

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I live in a small cottage & to get my Fitbit to register "a floor" I have to hold my hand near the ground for a few seconds then go upstairs & lift my hand up high above my head & walk around upstairs for a few metres.Then if I'm lucky it registers a floor. A bit annoying really as often I'm carrying washing or just forget to put my hand down on the ground before I go upstairs. I adjusted my daily target to 5 floors to reflect this discrepancy but in reality I probably go up & down stairs 10 times a day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Wexford_Lass  With a small cottage I doubt very much your floors are 10 feet in elevation. That's why it will not register.. You must go up 10 ft in elevation for it to count

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Yes I know, thanks Wendy. That's why I said I hold my hand near the floor for a few seconds before going upstairs then above my head for a few seconds as I walk around upstairs, so my Fitbit goes up more than 10ft. Sometimes doing that registers as a "floor" sometimes it doesn't. More often than not I forget but I don't get too stressed about it 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes