Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Low Heart Rate (40s)

Hi, I posted following concern on a different forum but Get Moving forum seems appropriate too so basically reposting

I've measured ~40 bpm during past week when I'm sleeping and mid 40s-low 50s when I'm up and not moving (sit still on a chair). I never had heart rate this low, even compared to my active duty time when I had baseline heart rate of mid 50s, when I weighed 167lbs and ran a 1/2 marathon like nobody's business. Now I weigh 175 lbs, which is down from 185 since this May and been sustaining since June for a little bit over a month. All workouts I've been doing since COVID outbreak is running about 2 miles each day and 4-5 days per week. I increased my distance to 2-3 miles a day in past 10 days, which is still shorter than what I did when I was an active duty. I suspect the combination of weight loss, no weight training, and reinstating running collectively affected my heart rate. I'm still in my 20s and got out of service just 2-3 years ago so I don't think aging would be the primary factor here. But my concern comes from that I am wayyy slower than my active duty time (running ~8:30/mi now @175lbs vs ~6:30/mi then @167lbs & more muscular vs ~7:10 pre-Army @150lbs), while my average heart rate when I'm running is relatively high at ~175 (usually max out at ~187 after sprinting out last .1 mi; measured 195+ a few times tho).

I've been using my Charge 4 (dominant wrist) and Apple Watch Series 5 (other wrist) to cross ref and both of them show quite constant results.

Myself is a student in a healthcare field and consulting to a physician would be the ONLY way to figure out what's really happening but I'd like to share this with the Fitbit community and hear your opinions/experiences so feel free to talk!

Made an appointment with a physician through telehealth service tomorrow. I'll share here if I find something outstanding.

ps. I read this thread but my RHR was higher when I was 4 younger and much fitter so I'd consider my situation is not exactly same as hers.

Added some pics regarding my cardio health stats

KakaoTalk_Photo_2020-07-23-20-00-04.jpegKakaoTalk_Photo_2020-07-23-19-59-57.jpegKakaoTalk_Photo_2020-07-23-19-59-52.jpegKakaoTalk_Photo_2020-07-23-19-59-47.jpegKakaoTalk_Photo_2020-07-23-19-59-43.jpegKakaoTalk_Photo_2020-07-23-19-59-37.jpeg

BP today morning

BP today noon

Sitting heart rate

workout recovery HR / 

RHR

today heart rate stats

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Weight training would call upon your body to repair in the 24-48 hrs after the workout.

That repair can lead to increased HR.

You aren't doing that now.

You are in a diet, that usually leads to decreased HR just by itself.

Sounds like you are in a diet.

5-10 bpm not unusual.

You are getting more aerobically fit, that part you know.

But it sounds like you believe you have less muscle mass now compared to prior.

So less of what needs O2 from the blood flow, and what needs to get rid of CO2.

No you don't have to become some super fit person for HR to drop into the 40's.

Some improvement and in a diet can accomplish it.

Congrats!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

Well, that's relieving. It just bothered me because I've never seen that number on me before. Your answer's basically what the doctor told me today. He still put the lab/ekg orders just in case. Will share those data when they come back. 

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lazy.Runner I think the greater concern typically is when HR goes higher than normal with an active lifestyle and good nutrition.the fact that yours went lower is as already stated not a bad thing- just a different thing. Keep up with your cardio- your heart will love you.. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes